#7142 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 0922 AM

Saw two movies last weekend;

"A River Runs Through it:" There was a lot of talk about this one in the 90s and I missed out on it. Beautifully shot, well acted, but you can tell the plot suffers from a book trying to be condensed in movie time length.

Operation Finale: good acting, especially by Kingsley, but the director was out of his depth in dealing with such a subject. The movie didn't seem to have the gravitas like similar movies ("Munich"). It had a made front feel to it. The soundtrack was kind of inappropriate. And the leads seemed really too young.

#7143 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 2208 PM

WTF?  :lol:

To Be or Not to Be redux, without Mel Brooks.

And the academy award for Best Picture goes to...

#7144 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,744 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 0237 AM

This looks like it might be quite interesting.

#7145 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 1523 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=eWZtVZf8FVg

produced by SNP , timed for Brexit  :D

#7146 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 1534 PM

I rewatched "The Last Emperor" some years ago. Since the movie was made with the cooperation of the Chinese government, I was surprised to see how the cultural revolution was portrayed, as a time of excesses. Has the attitude of a Chinese government on that era changed since the movie was made?

Edited by Mikel2, 17 September 2019 - 1602 PM.

#7147 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 1628 PM

There is already "Outlaw King"

#7148 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0022 AM

First "Fantastic beasts..." was not too bad, actually quite charming now and then.

Now "The crimes of Grindlewald", the whole thing is just boring. Looking at the script it should be decent, but isn't. The "revelations" attract not gasps, but yawns. The possible charm of Newt is gone, now you only get pissed at him for not looking at people he is talking to.
I am guessing there will be more in this series, but not really something to look forward to.

#7149 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,744 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0200 AM

I cant help think its a story that wont help the SNP. It illustrates that quartering isnt a good thing, whether its happening to the British Isles or William Wallace. :)

#7150 Soren Ras

Soren Ras

Molehill Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0723 AM

First "Fantastic beasts..." was not too bad, actually quite charming now and then.

Now "The crimes of Grindlewald", the whole thing is just boring. Looking at the script it should be decent, but isn't. The "revelations" attract not gasps, but yawns. The possible charm of Newt is gone, now you only get pissed at him for not looking at people he is talking to.
I am guessing there will be more in this series, but not really something to look forward to.

Best take I have seen is that J.K. Rowling does not really understand the differences between writing a screenplay and writing a book, and since she has absolute creative control, there is no one to moderate her in any way.  She has previously proven to be skilled plotter in the novels, but for a movie to work, it takes much more discipline in making sure every scene serves either the plot or the characters.  The movie I saw had loads of unnecessary characters (often acting quite unlike their selves from the previous movie), weird expository scenes popping up throughout the entire movie (usually you want the important exposition done early, drive the tension up in the middle section and set up a satisfying climax), and very little dramatic development. But there were long flashback scenes that basically only served to showcase a previous connection between the Newt character and the Leta character, which ultimately turned out to be rather pointless as nothing was done with that plot point, people randomly happening to turn up where the plot needed them to be with no explanation, and so on.

Rather often I found myself asking "who is this character? Why are they important?"     

I suppose it might be Rowling trying to set up developments in the next movies, but this one sure didn't work as a movie in itself, and I feel no need to renew the acquaintance with any later episodes.

--

Soren

#7151 Mobius

Mobius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 1847 PM

Ok, I saw Rambo Last Blood today.   Then went to the movie site to try to find cast members and I found people who I don't remember in the movie.  In particular the state police captain.  And a few others,  WTF? I know I didn't fall asleep.

#7152 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 2124 PM

Sometimes the credits are done before the final cut and characters get cut but still appear in credits. Sometimes, especially after editing, a character is so minor that they're basically a glorified extra. Modern movie credits seem to be a lot more inclusive than they once were.

#7153 Mobius

Mobius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 2133 PM

Sometimes the credits are done before the final cut and characters get cut but still appear in credits. Sometimes, especially after editing, a character is so minor that they're basically a glorified extra. Modern movie credits seem to be a lot more inclusive than they once were.

That might of been what happened.  The movie did seem a little short in that a lot of development seemed missing.  The local Sheriff might have some concerns with Rambo as he is an ex-con who assaulted law enforcement.  He did have a lot of guns for an ex-con.  Who was that Mexican woman that was helping in the house?  Was she the maid, a relative, or Rambo's wife?  On the plus side Rambo had 10 years of a normal life before this incident.

Edited by Mobius, 26 September 2019 - 2138 PM.

#7154 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 1044 AM

Looks good, although unfortunate they went for fictional female aeronaut to please the masses. I feel that modern history of flight tends to ignore achievments of 19th century balloon and airship pioneers, treating flight like it was invented by Wright brothers in 1903 when in reality thousands of people flew before them. There were real 19th century female balloonists of course, though they were not as prominent.

Meanwhile, proper trailer for Frozen 2 dropped, now showing some plot elements. But looks still good!

Edited by Yama, 27 September 2019 - 1047 AM.

#7155 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,744 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 1114 AM

Well as you rightly say, there WERE a number of female aeronauts, one of them was born not far from me. She apparently flew at the Great Exhibition of 1851. But I dont disagree, it would be better to keep it to historical characters based in reality.

#7156 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 1636 PM

Looks good, although unfortunate they went for fictional female aeronaut to please the masses. I feel that modern history of flight tends to ignore achievments of 19th century balloon and airship pioneers, treating flight like it was invented by Wright brothers in 1903 when in reality thousands of people flew before them. There were real 19th century female balloonists of course, though they were not as prominent.

Meanwhile, proper trailer for Frozen 2 dropped, now showing some plot elements. But looks still good!

Frozen 2....Judgement Day.

#7157 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,744 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 0238 AM

And if anyone is unaware of who Mr Jones was...

https://en.wikipedia...es_(journalist)

#7158 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 0533 AM

This looks a little like the Canadian 2014 "Project-M", where the space station was run by the independent state of Quebec (which had become one of the richest nations on an Earth facing water wars, due to large drinking water ressources ...).

#7159 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 1929 PM

Bond is back, and we have now come full circle from Live and Let Die.

A bold choice. I like it.

#7160 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 2240 PM

And if anyone is unaware of who Mr Jones was...
https://en.wikipedia...es_(journalist)

THIS got greenlit by the movie industry? shocker.