278 replies to this topic

#21 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,576 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 1531 PM

Unfortunately Pelosi will be speaker. I had hoped she would be prevented from returning to that role, but she seems to have deftly bought off her opposition and there isn't a clear successor for anyone to rally around. That will cost the Dems in future elections.

GMs announcement probably has little to do with Dems taking the house and everything to do with their sales slumping, particularly for non SUV vehicles. Ford made similar cuts well before the election I believe; certainly they were expected going back to September. Most companies don't react to one party or the other winning an election until that change actually tangibly affects their business (which in the case of major corporation rarely happens).

As for the 97.8 percent of the media, Fox News I believe still has the highest viewership, so I suspect the conservative media voice is a little larger than 2.3%.

#22 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 1847 PM

Spent this Thanksgiving at my uncle-in-law's in Chicago, and his father was there, a former CIA field analyst and current behind-the-scenes bigwig for the Montana Democratic Party. He's a Bernie bot (He stands firmly in the general Social Democrat side of European parties) and we had a really interesting conversation about government, Trump, and the Democratic party. He was bemoaning the shifts to the extremes for both parties, and how the Democrats don't have party discipline like the GOP, as seen in the attempted coup of Pelosi last week. He doesn't like how the Democrats appeal to their interest groups and in Montana, he's always pushed for more grassroots/broad-based support for issues because as he sees it, it's the only real way to get things done. 

We also talked about why people vote for certain candidates, and he bemoaned how people vote for speaking skills over ability to govern. I brought up Obama and he laughed and said that he was just the DNC's Trump--good for a soundbite for the base or a feel-good legislation that looked like he did something, but in the end he wasn't very good at leading or governing. He also said how he didn't like how Obama was campaigning for candidates because he thinks that ex-Presidents should hide on a ranch out West and write memoirs until they die. :)

#23 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 1954 PM

Oh yeah, that brings back images of Obama wearing a Stetson hat. :P

#24 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,415 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 2039 PM

Interesting, the concepts of party discipline; I would not have called the Republicans disciplined, given the bitterness of the last two years. Maybe they were just able to keep it to a less-critical time, like before the mid-terms got serious, when they were not quite as UN-disciplined as the Dems.

#25 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0243 AM

Trump basically overshadowed the RNC. Ryan in particualr is weak sauce. Mitch actually benefitted greatly from the Kavanaugh battle.

#26 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,258 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0252 AM

Interesting, the concepts of party discipline; I would not have called the Republicans disciplined, given the bitterness of the last two years. Maybe they were just able to keep it to a less-critical time, like before the mid-terms got serious, when they were not quite as UN-disciplined as the Dems.

Political partisans everywhere universally think their own party is divided and weak-handed and never has the balls to play dirty like their opponents, who are always united and strategic in taking over institutions. I've seen the same here in Germany.

#27 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0315 AM

There is ranching in Hawaii, you know...

#28 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0713 AM

I had hoped she would be prevented from returning to that role, but she seems to have deftly bought off her opposition... 

If that's what you call her people leaking a letter her opponent wrote in support of a black judge after he was accused of beating his wife. The fact that he was just arrested for her murder and the letter just happened to make it to the press which dutifully printed it, was timely. The Dems don't like it when certain people step off the plantation.

#29 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0813 AM

Political partisans everywhere universally think their own party is divided and weak-handed and never has the balls to play dirty like their opponents, who are always united and strategic in taking over institutions. I've seen the same here in Germany.

Well, we were discussing how the Democrats are fiercely regional in Louisiana, and statewide races usually have 4-5 Democratic candidates and at most 2-3 Republicans in our jungle primaries where everyone runs against each other instead of limited primaries like everywhere else. The GOP severely limits the funding of candidates they don't think can win whereas the Democrats of places like New Orleans or Baton Rouge will prop up weak candidates that are from their own sphere of influence, which hurts them because in runoffs there's been the instances where there's two Republicans running against each other, or in one instance, the Democratic candidate lost votes between the primary and runoff because factions were angry with the candidate that was in the runoff. I asked him if that meant that the scene from the Life of Brian was an accurate representation of the Democratic party, and he laughed. :)

#30 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0819 AM

There is ranching in Hawaii, you know...

Unless that's lingo for doing lines and smoking pot, Obama didn't do no ranching in  Hawaii...

#31 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,576 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0836 AM

With only a few major exceptions like McCain and Flake, the GOP has rallied behind Trump. Occasionally he gets called out by GOP senators in a sound bite, but outside the ones I mentioned they have almost never *voted* against him. The GOP is the party of Trump now, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out once Trump leaves the presidency (when ever and for whatever reason). I highly doubt Trump will just be quiet when he leaves, and he'll likely wield his base like a club for the rest of his life, heavily influencing Republican politics indefinitely for better or worse.

#32 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,415 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0854 AM

Not surprised:

Ohio Gov. John Kasich 'very seriously' considering White House run in 2020

https://www.usatoday...020/2108618002/

Given his pettiness and self-absorption,  I expect he will try to pull a Pirot-style 'spoiler' campaign against Trump

#33 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,576 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 0920 AM

Not surprised:

Given his pettiness and self-absorption,  I expect he will try to pull a Pirot-style 'spoiler' campaign against Trump

Which given Trump's pettiness and self absorption, would be fantastically poetic justice.

#34 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 1342 PM

Not surprised:

Sooo you think John Kasich is petty and self-absorbed...but yet you support Trump?

You must mean petty as in criticizing Trump's behavior, and self absorbed as in thinking he should dare run against Trump.

#35 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,415 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 1501 PM

Petty as in betraying his constitutents as a representative in 1994, when he voted for the 'Assault Weapon Ban', after running as a strong pro-gun candidate.  His vote arguably allowed passage by one vote.

Petty as in promising to veto a pro-life and a pro-self defence bill, despite claiming to be a conservative Christian.

In '16, he stayed in the Republican race even after he had no chance of winning, thereby drawing enough support from Cruz to allow Trump to clinch the nomination, possibly in hopes of being named VP.

Trump, OTOH has actually fulfilled more of his campaign promises and goal than any other recent President, in spite of his pettiness.

Kasich has no chance of winning the Presidency.  The most he could accomplish is to draw down enough support to cause Trump to lose.

Edited by shep854, 27 November 2018 - 1503 PM.

#36 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,576 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 1529 PM

That likely is all Kasich is going for. He and Trump were hardly friends. Trump has a tendency to make enemies of anyone who doesn't unconditionally support him; if Flake or Kasich attempt to deep six his chances (and neither of them could possibly win a primary), it will likely be because of Trump's unnecessarily combative style. To Trump's base, that is a feature, not a bug. But as the midterms displayed, it can be a liability when everyone who isn't your base wants to stop you.

#37 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 1815 PM

Kasich will be the darling of the Media and NeverTrumpers...until he's of no further use.

#38 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,576 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 1846 PM

On that we can agree. And as shep854 pointed out, I suspect if he runs, he does so knowing full well he has no chance. Trump is apparently not the only individual who is capable of doing something purely out of spite.

Speaking of which, apparently the free market is only free until you're GM and piss Trump off. Then you need to fall in line!

#39 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 2002 PM

GM is Guvmint Motors.

#40 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members