239 replies to this topic

#181 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,624 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 0826 AM

:D Well I was thinking you were more of the colonizer concerned about royal affairs.

LOL Ivanhoe, dude ask anyone here who has met me I'm about 50% of tank net's melanin content.

Stay away from the cans!

#182 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 1343 PM

I wonder what the plan is for when they become people who used to be famous royals?  She gained fame by dating a prince and he was famous because he was a prince.  Absent the titles, they are just another attractive couple on instagram.

#183 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 1849 PM

I wonder what the plan is for when they become people who used to be famous royals?  She gained fame by dating a prince and he was famous because he was a prince.  Absent the titles, they are just another attractive couple on instagram.

The Kardashians have shown that anything is marketable if you're willing to sell yourself badly enough. It will be interesting to see Harry realize that there is a big difference between press coverage because you're a royal and press coverage because you're the third wheel in an endless stream of narcissistic red carpet events. I hope he enjoys being Mr. Markle for the rest of his life. He'll be shilling Sussex Royal schlock on late night infomercials if that's what she demands.

#184 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,553 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 0604 AM

The Kardashians have shown that anything is marketable if you're willing to sell yourself badly enough. It will be interesting to see Harry realize that there is a big difference between press coverage because you're a royal and press coverage because you're the third wheel in an endless stream of narcissistic red carpet events. I hope he enjoys being Mr. Markle for the rest of his life. He'll be shilling Sussex Royal schlock on late night infomercials if that's what she demands.

I think she will dump him when he is no longer "monetizable" or somehow is seen as advancing HER career.

#185 BillB

BillB

Scooter Trash Gunphobic, apparently

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,259 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 1143 AM

I think she will dump him when he is no longer "monetizable" or somehow is seen as advancing HER career.

That's my take on it too, FWIW.

BillB

#186 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,553 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 1839 PM

Boo Hoo, the former Royal now known as Mr. Megan Markle is upset at the press photographing them.  https://www.dailywir...ke-legal-action

#187 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,418 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 1905 PM

another moderately attractive couple on Instagram.

He may get a few $$ from writing a book or two, one trading on being Dianna's son, another on his military experiences, but it won't be huge amounts.

#188 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 26,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 1942 PM

She essentially had no career.  Her greatest claim to fame was as eye candy love interest for one of the protagonists on a TV series relatively few people watched.

#189 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 1206 PM

Boo Hoo, the former Royal now known as Mr. Megan Markle is upset at the press photographing them.  https://www.dailywir...ke-legal-action

Welcome to real life.

#190 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,843 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 1233 PM

Well he went to Afganistan twice. I think he has a fairly good grasp of reality.

#191 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 1307 PM

Well he went to Afganistan twice. I think he has a fairly good grasp of reality.

As many have stated, he has no grasp of what celebrities who aren't royals have to put up with from the press.  There are a lot of written and unwritten rules that no longer apply to he and his family.  A big one is that when his family is out in public they are fair game for photographers.  

#192 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 1547 PM

Yes, because serving in Afghanistan prepares someone for every aspect of life. You seem to go out of your way to make ignorant comments at times. I think Harold has made the point well on the lesson Harry is going to learn that I was speaking to. I feel for the guy, I think he's a very decent man, her type seeks out decent, honorable men to use, the white knight types. She'll use that decency as a tool to make him do what she wants. The sad thing is that her issues mean that she'll do all this without realizing it herself. His only recourse is to get as far away from her as he can but decency and the child will mean that he'll have to go through all kinds of hell before he realizes it. In fact, he probably never will until she decides she's done with him, several times. Google Borderline Personality Disorder for some sad information on what he's likely in for. No, I'm not a mental health professional but I have a lot of experience with BPD.

#193 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,843 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 1604 PM

The guy came home from Afghanistan in a C17 with a guy mutilated for life, and it made a lasting impression. He has spent most of the past 10 years drawing attention to and helping those servicemen. Before that he was open about battles with his mental health, mostly dating from being dragged in front of a ravenous media to bury his mother. Yes, he lives in reality, and I suspect not a nice one for all his privilege.

Harry has flaws, but he has lived and he knows reality. Lets not take dislike of his Mrs (and I share many of the concerns) into character assasination. It's no better than what our media has been doing to the Royal family for decades.

I respect your opinion Jeff, always. Kindly show the same respect. I may be many things, but ignorant I'm not.

#194 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,553 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 1825 PM

I’m offended by the disrespect shown his grandmother more than anything else.   Despite the fact that she is all about herself and no one else.  I like(d) Harry since he and William both seem “real” compared to Charles. 

#195 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 1923 PM

Harry was a witness at age 11 to the difference between how royals and non-royals are treated by the press, in the form of his mother before and after she lost her royal titles.

He knows what the press is capable of.

#196 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,843 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0248 AM

There was a tabloid story over here about Harry being photographed buck naked by a female friend in a Las Vegas hotel. The media all circle jerked themselves into a stupour at getting Harry in a situation where he was disgracing himself again. ARRSE even made a joke about it, 'Army officer in naked hotel room shocker'. The basic joke was, it was what any other army officer deploying to a combat zone, as he was about to do, would be doing. Letting off steam. And suddenly the Murdoch media that had congratulated themselves on getting a scoop, suddenly looked rather bit tawdry and grubby, which is about Murdoch's natural level.

Thats the kind of crap he has had to deal with. Even when he is doing the right thing, the media have been always chipping away at him. For my money, Megan is getting all the blame for this. I think she is just the excuse why he is leaving the Royal Family, not the reason. He was heading this way for a very long time.

All that said, the criticisms about how he has treated his family, and the criticisms of his wife are valid. Im afraid as a marriage, if you want an example, this is probably going to end up the way of Sir Paul McCartney's second marriage, for much the same reasons. I guess we shall see.

#197 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0342 AM

He can always give away all his possessions and money and get a job in some factory. Media would forget him in the 6 months.

#198 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,946 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0505 AM

He can always give away all his possessions and money and get a job in some factory. Media would forget him in the 6 months.

He has several officers patents for army, navy air force, so he could rejoin the forces at least.

#199 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,946 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0507 AM

I’m offended by the disrespect shown his grandmother more than anything else.   Despite the fact that she is all about herself and no one else.

Which "she"? QE2? Meghan?

and agree on the disrespect to his grandmother and family in general to break it to them this way.

I like(d) Harry since he and William both seem “real” compared to Charles.

Charles always came across as a quirky uncle with weird hobbies. Well, he has been king-in-waiting all his life and chances are he might even never become one.

Edited by Panzermann, 25 January 2020 - 0508 AM.

#200 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,843 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0713 AM

There is that.