• Please log in to reply
4440 replies to this topic

#4361 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,027 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 1345 PM

We had a massive car break in and theft epidemic. The courts saw it as a victim-less crime, the Crown Insurance Agency made a huge stink, a task force of police, crown prosecutors and special judge was created. The police followed the most prolific individuals and nailed them with good evidence, after sending the 25 with the most convictions to lengthy sentences, car related crime dropped 85% in the Lower Mainland area. 

#4362 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 1442 PM

How about one of these for a compromise Stuart?  You certainly won't be committing any mass shootings with it, you have to cock it manually to fire each time, and it has to be disassembled to reload... but nobody wants to be shot so it should do to deter a mugger.  Allow concealed carry after a permitting process with background check, psych exam, safety class, lawful use class, safe storage requirements and and registration of the serial number to your person along with legal accountability if lost or stolen.

Would you be open to the idea then for those who want an option for the individual right of protection while minimizing the risk of mass shootings?

Lvc6fDu.jpg

#4363 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 1452 PM

Stuart the difference between Google vs the FBI is that I can delete google with little more effort than pushing a few buttons but I can't delete FBI. 

Im not sure I believe that. For one thing, you only have to look at Archive.org to see how much gets archived daily. Between Google, GCHQ and NSA, I would say that future researchers have a lot to look forward to. :D

Yeah, but the FBI is not a new problem. Back in the 1970's you had CONINTELPRO. Hoover was keeping juicy archives in case he ever needed them for decades before that. Granted technology makes it all a lot easier, but difficulty was never a deterrent before. The STASI, GESTAPO and NKVD did a great job keeping tabs on everyone before the computer age.

I ought to be clear, i dont like mass monitoring either. But I get impatient when people decry it and confess they have a Facebook page.Its like saying you are against drugs, other than the cannabis they smoke every week. :D

#4364 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 1709 PM

Stuart the difference between Google vs the FBI is that I can delete google with little more effort than pushing a few buttons but I can't delete FBI. 

Im not sure I believe that. For one thing, you only have to look at Archive.org to see how much gets archived daily. Between Google, GCHQ and NSA, I would say that future researchers have a lot to look forward to. :D

Yeah, but the FBI is not a new problem. Back in the 1970's you had CONINTELPRO. Hoover was keeping juicy archives in case he ever needed them for decades before that. Granted technology makes it all a lot easier, but difficulty was never a deterrent before. The STASI, GESTAPO and NKVD did a great job keeping tabs on everyone before the computer age.

I ought to be clear, i dont like mass monitoring either. But I get impatient when people decry it and confess they have a Facebook page.Its like saying you are against drugs, other than the cannabis they smoke every week. :D

2 things:

1) Before deleting a person can fill social media with nonsense and disinformation. That will cause confusion to at least some extent. If done correctly and extensively (fake phone #, home address, government ID numbers, etc...........) any hostile actor will be utterly confounded about what to believe. Those steps cannot be carried out all at once of course and must done from a different location.

2) People can avoid having to do any of that by simply not joining social media. Or using e-tail. They can also use a VPN. There option for keeping hidden on the wild wild web. There are no options with the FBI or GCHQ. They can watch you using other means.

#4365 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 0227 AM

Yep. Ive never joined Facebook (though they conned me into signing up to a subsidiary to use Oculous Rift) partly because of civil liberties concerns, partly because I cant see the logic of telling everyone what kind of toast im eating, what kind of earwax I have, what kind of motion im having etc etc. Im a member of Twitter, but Ive never used that other than to read others comments on earwax etc etc etc.

The British Government about 10 years ago announced it was going to stop taking a census and would henceforth rely on online data. One more example of Camerons effort to destroy the fabric of British society to save a few more pennies for austerity.

https://www.telegrap...-200-years.html

In the event that didnt seem to happen, presumably because there ARE going to be some people that refuse to use online media. But it says a very great deal that they thought they could possibly get away with just online data. That really tells you how much is already out there.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 26 November 2019 - 0232 AM.

#4366 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 0247 AM

Britains chief Rabbi calls out Labour on its antisemitism.  Thats in marked contrast to the other religious leaders in the UK that have been distinctly mealy mouthed about not talking about specific politicians. Good for him.

https://www.bbc.co.u...n-2019-50552068

The Chief Rabbi has strongly criticised Labour, claiming the party is not doing enough to root out anti-Jewish racism - and asked people to "vote with their conscience" in the general election.

In the Times, Ephraim Mirvis said "a new poison - sanctioned from the very top - has taken root" in the party.

Labour's claim it had investigated all cases of anti-Semitism in its ranks was a "mendacious fiction", he added.

Jeremy Corbyn says Labour is tackling anti-Semitism by expelling members.

It comes as Labour launches a "race and faith manifesto", which aims to improve protections for all faiths and tackle prejudice.

Labour has been beset by allegations of anti-Semitism for more than three years, leading to the suspension of a number of high-profile figures such as Ken Livingstone and Chris Williamson, and an unprecedented investigation by the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

'Gripped by anxiety'

In his article, the Orthodox Chief Rabbi of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - who is the spiritual leader of the United Synagogue, the largest umbrella group of Jewish communities in the country - says raising his concerns "ranks among the most painful moments I have experienced since taking office".

But he claims "the overwhelming majority of British Jews are gripped by anxiety" at the prospect of a Labour victory in 12 December's general election.

He writes: "The way in which the leadership of the Labour Party has dealt with anti-Jewish racism is incompatible with the British values of which we are so proud - of dignity and respect for all people.

"It has left many decent Labour members and parliamentarians, both Jewish and non-Jewish, ashamed of what has transpired."

He adds that it was "not my place to tell any person how they should vote" but he urged the public to "vote with their conscience".

The Chief Rabbi - who has been a persistent critic of Labour's response to anti-Semitism allegations - claims the response of Labour's leadership to threats against parliamentarians, members and staff has been "utterly inadequate" and says it "can no longer claim to be the party of equality and anti-racism".

'Horrified'

Mike Katz, the chair of the Jewish Labour Movement group which is officially affiliated to the party, told the programme the Chief Rabbi was "absolutely right" and there had been a failure of leadership over anti-Semitism in Labour.

But Jenny Manson, the co-chair of the Jewish Voice for Labour group which is not officially affiliated to the party, told BBC Radio 4's The World Tonight programme she was "horrified" by the Chief Rabbi's intervention.

She added that there was no threat to Jews in the Labour Party but there was a threat from the far-right.

#4367 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 0253 AM

She added that there was no threat to Jews in the Labour Party but there was a threat from the far-right.

Fortunately there are alternatives in the spectrum between Labour and the far-right ... unless of course she means to imply that everything to the right of Labour is "far".

#4368 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 0311 AM

That is essentially where Labour now is. Anyone to the right of Jeremy Corbyn is to be regarded as Fascist.

Ok, so I exaggerate. Much? Not really. Its what happens every time the Trots have taken over the Labour party. They drive it in a ditch, then blame the traffic for being driven off the road.

Interestingly Michael Heseltine, once darling of the Conservative party and chief executioner of Margaret Thatcher, now says that people should not vote for the Conservative party but either vote for the Liberal Democrats or the Conservative MP's purged by Boris.

https://www.ft.com/c...25-db2f231cfeae

#4369 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 0420 AM

Rick, I dont really want to get into another UK Gun debate, Im sure I bored all Americans here with my arguments with Ryan on the subject. But I would advise you to look at how many mass shootings we have had since we had the draconian laws put in place by Labour. Even our terrorists apparently cant get hold of guns, which is why they keep trying to cook up explosive with ingredients they buy in Boots.

Knife crime certainly IS a problem, if localized,, but arguably its a problem because gun crime isn't. We didnt solve the problem, but at least we moved it sideways into a category where mass killings are less likely, and people are more likely to survive. Which is something.

No problem on UK gun debate as it can be tedious. But I believe firearm shootings have more to do with culture than firearms. A classic U.S. example is the inner-city vs suburbs and rural areas. 

#4370 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 0425 AM

And this is the problem Americans have never really understood about Britain there is no gun culture. The closest we have to one is the Glorious Twelfth (grouse season). Shows like Peaky Blinders are great fun, but no more reflective of what British society used to be like than Downton Abbey.

#4371 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 11,107 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 1246 PM

Rick, I dont really want to get into another UK Gun debate, Im sure I bored all Americans here with my arguments with Ryan on the subject. But I would advise you to look at how many mass shootings we have had since we had the draconian laws put in place by Labour. Even our terrorists apparently cant get hold of guns, which is why they keep trying to cook up explosive with ingredients they buy in Boots.

Knife crime certainly IS a problem, if localized,, but arguably its a problem because gun crime isn't. We didnt solve the problem, but at least we moved it sideways into a category where mass killings are less likely, and people are more likely to survive. Which is something.

No problem on UK gun debate as it can be tedious. But I believe firearm shootings have more to do with culture than firearms. A classic U.S. example is the inner-city vs suburbs and rural areas. 

This is spot on. 

#4372 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 0302 AM

Corbyn actually manages to make thing worse. At this moment im wondering if he is in the pay of the Lib Dems or Tories. :D

https://www.jpost.co...semitism-609173

#4373 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 0540 AM

Epic Dambusters raid recreation in R/C.

#4374 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 0708 AM

Epic indeed!

#4375 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 0747 AM

As a friend of mine said, its nice to see young people not behaving like a bunch of needy wastrels. :D

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 28 November 2019 - 0748 AM.

#4376 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,429 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 1140 AM

There are hordes of young people doing good things. Problem is, they are shunned by the infotainment media and politicians.

#4377 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,898 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 0536 AM

There are hordes of young people doing good things. Problem is, they are shunned by the infotainment media and politicians.

bad news sell better.

#4378 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,429 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 0808 AM

Delinquent youth's attack Dam with drone! :D

#4379 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 1358 PM

"Under a section called Touching Myself, teachers are advised to tell children that 'lots of people like to tickle or stroke themselves as it might feel nice'. They are also instructed to inform youngsters that this may include touching their 'private parts' and, that while some people may say this behavior is 'dirty', it is in fact 'very normal'"

Edited by Burncycle360, 02 December 2019 - 1359 PM.

#4380 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 17,027 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 2137 PM

And this is the problem Americans have never really understood about Britain there is no gun culture. The closest we have to one is the Glorious Twelfth (grouse season). Shows like Peaky Blinders are great fun, but no more reflective of what British society used to be like than Downton Abbey.

The UK had a vibrant gun culture, all but destroyed