221 replies to this topic

#21 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,192 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 1036 AM

It's a tweak to the chassis that is inherent in the design.

10646655675_975cd9dab1_b.jpg

The M34 and M35 were companion models with the only major difference being the bed and the rear duals or singles. The conversion, insofar as the duals/singles is concerned involves flipping the hubs around with the same bolt holes that the drum attaches with being the same as the bolt holes for the axle half shafts. The bearing races are the same inside and out. 

The reason for the singles gives higher road speeds, less unsprung weight, 1100s have higher load bearing capacity and a bit more ground clearance. Off road you're running the rears in the same path as the fronts so you're not making another channel in the mud after the front's have pushed their channel. So, you're better off getting through the sloppy stuff. 

Edited by rmgill, 18 January 2018 - 1037 AM.

#22 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,225 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 1055 AM

As I pointed out to Northerners who laugh at Southerners and wintry conditions, ice hates everyone, no matter where they're from and wants to kill you.

If someone wants to kill you, that's an enemy.

If everything wants to kill you, that's Australia.

FIFY

#23 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,487 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 1145 AM

Yesterday I saw an SUV with TX plates that was liberally coated with ice and road grime, and some LA (state) buses carrying ice as well.
BHM really did get off light.

#24 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 1207 PM

They do not use salt, it is sand, and you are right, we get icy roads a few times a year down here, but when we do....OMG.

When there's a lot of snow and ice on the roads, normally salt is dropped onto pretty much all of the roads. So that would require the stock of salt, trucks that can lay it all down in all parts on a moments notice so that the roads will be ready soon. But in Texas, the roads are very extensive, and major icy roads during daylight hours is probably rather rare. So to most texas law makers, it's probably not worth the additional cost to maintain the salt, trucks, and man hours to be ready on short notice throughout the winter. Thus better to play it safe for the few times icy roads to appear and close places for the day. Well just some thoughts, I'm not particular to the details about salt laying trucks.

sigh .....all you need to do is to put de-icing fluids on crop-duster planes and fly down the roads ....

as kelly bundy said - viola!

Edited by bd1, 18 January 2018 - 1208 PM.

#25 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 1559 PM

I know some places have gone to using deicer based off of beet juice instead of salt. 

#26 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,604 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 2127 PM

I know some places have gone to using deicer based off of beet juice instead of salt. 

so the cars get red sprinkles?  :blink:

#27 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 2231 PM

so the cars get red sprinkles?  :blink:

I was wrong it looks like they add it to the salt brine to help it deice at colder temps 

Edited by Mr King, 20 January 2018 - 2338 PM.

#28 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,233 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 0428 AM

As I pointed out to Northerners who laugh at Southerners and wintry conditions, ice hates everyone, no matter where they're from and wants to kill you.

If someone wants to kill you, that's an enemy.

If everything wants to kill you, that's Australia.

FIFY

Just not with guns

#29 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 0754 AM

http://www.deeproot....with-beet-juice

Learned something new.

#30 Charles

Charles

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1150 AM

Using the de-icing liquid makes sense, just expensive. I mean, the road outside where I live hasn't seen a gritter since winter 2017!!!. I'm just waiting for an emergency that either the ambulance or fire brigade simply can't get to.
Winter tyres and all wheel drive is all you can do here.

Stay safe this winter.

Charles

#31 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,977 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1433 PM

The M34 and M35 were companion models with the only major difference being the bed and the rear duals or singles. The conversion, insofar as the duals/singles is concerned involves flipping the hubs around with the same bolt holes that the drum attaches with being the same as the bolt holes for the axle half shafts. The bearing races are the same inside and out. 

The reason for the singles gives higher road speeds, less unsprung weight, 1100s have higher load bearing capacity and a bit more ground clearance. Off road you're running the rears in the same path as the fronts so you're not making another channel in the mud after the front's have pushed their channel. So, you're better off getting through the sloppy stuff. 

That's not a Deuce this is a Deuce

t2f-nbq_10_04ii_058.jpg

#32 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1440 PM

That's not a Deuce this is a Deuce

t2f-nbq_10_04ii_058.jpg

Why not?

#33 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,760 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1522 PM

Canadian built M35 trucks which were bought in the eighties are known as MLVW. We called the 1950s built M135 trucks deuces or deuce-and-a-halfs.

#34 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,760 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1522 PM

Canadian built M35 trucks which were bought in the eighties are known as MLVW. We called the 1950s built M135 trucks deuces or deuce-and-a-halfs.

#35 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 1009 AM

the only real deuce is a CCKW...

everything else is just trading on GMC's fame!

#36 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,604 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 1827 PM

http://www.deeproot....with-beet-juice

Learned something new.

Interesting. So the brine is not only salty, it is also sugar sweet. :D

I wonder if it used in Germany? every autumn the roads are full of lorries and tractors hauling sugar beets to the refineries. hmm need to investigate..

#37 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 0652 AM

It goes from 80 to 39 overnight.  Only in Texas can the weather be that crazy.  

#38 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 1004 AM

Chinooks in southern Alberta.

In Pincher Creek, the temperature rose by 41 °C (74 °F), from −19 to 22 °C (−2 to 72 °F), in one hour in 1962.[

#39 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 0554 AM

Well we broke a 102 year record for cold.  23F yesterday with a wind chill of "COLD, Holy SH*T BATMAN ITS COLD!".  

#40 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 1305 PM

Bah, when I lived in Wisconsin , there was a day where temps dropped 40 degrees in about 4 hours in the middle of the day.