Photo

What The #$%& Is With The State Of Gaming In General?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,730 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 0312 AM

DCS is a mixed bag. On the one hand you have the companies that release broken DLC that never seem able to fix it. On that hand Id call VEAO which seem to have gone tits up and never seem to have suceeded in fixing the buggy hawk.. There are those whom have extended development but slowly get there, of which I would probably tag razbam. And there are those whom seem fairly quickly to get a completed product. Belsimtek (whom ED have now bought) fitted into that margin. Its a real mixed bag.

My main concerns I have over ED is banning anyone that disagree with some of their choices, or their fairly piss poor relations with the community. Im think of Lock On files, whom seem to have had a major falling out with them because people were releasing what ED considered were exceeding the EULA. Against that you have some of the individulal DLC makers, such as Razbam, that have actually gone so far as to employ a community relations employee, and things for that have improved markedly.

There are worse out there. Its worth looking at flight sim world. Ive sympathy for the choices they made, but pulling the product after only 6 months is pretty freaking bad whichever way you look at it, particularly when it cost something like 30 squid.

#22 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,890 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 09 December 2018 - 0332 AM

Is that ment for ED/DCS Mr. King?

Fallout 76, most likely.

#23 Mr King

Mr King

Putin's Personal Representative To Tanknet

• Members
  • 17,812 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 1215 PM

Is that ment for ED/DCS Mr. King?

It is for Fallout 76. I take it customers of ED/DCS had a similar experience? 

#24 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,701 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 09 December 2018 - 2104 PM

So many.

#25 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,659 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 0705 AM

The fuss over the canvas bags that weren't is smoke to hide the dogpoo that is the actual game.

#26 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 0746 AM

I thought it was an adequate window dressing to that dumpster fire of a Fallout title. In a way it's actually befitting the postnuclear apocalypse, being a toxic and irradiated zombie of what once was a great role-playing adventure franchise.

#27 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,850 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 10 December 2018 - 1045 AM

More I read about it (no, I am not gonna even try it), the more I believe that Bethesda never understood what made Fallout 1/2 (and New Vegas) great and were just cargo-culting on it.

"Everything J.J. Abrams Bethesda touches turns into shit"

#28 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 17,812 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1411 PM

#29 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,701 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 16 December 2018 - 2211 PM

It's mainly the function of large investors and their commerical bullshit. That and setting up your dev studios in high cost areas. You can dev anywhere. I would park my devs somewhere like here in Malaysia where the cost of living is low, infrastructure and logistics are good and the quality of life is generally very good. I am biased but we have dirt cheap commercial rentals, low taxes, great food and cheap gas. 

#30 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 17,812 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Bethesda is being all sorts of shady 

bZQnNGg.png​

oFcLFb3.png​

#31 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,684 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:44 PM

There are now Breakfast Boxes in FO76.

No no. totally not Loot Boxes coming.

More I read about it (no, I am not gonna even try it), the more I believe that Bethesda never understood what made Fallout 1/2 (and New Vegas) great and were just cargo-culting on it.

"Everything J.J. Abrams Bethesda  Todd Howard touches turns into shit"

fify  it just works.  ^_^

but then to get your postnuclear holocast fix you can go Jagged Alliance/X-Com with Mutant: Year Zero - road to Eden. Play one of the old games.  try Wasteland2. Bioshock and B2 remasterd you get for five €uros on GOG, scratching a similar itch. No need to buy a new  "fallout"

And absolutely agree, they missed what made the original Fallouts so great. The prediction was Elder Scrolls after the bomb, and that is what we get basically. Short, nearly superflous main story and lots of open world.

#32 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 PM

Didn't like Wasteland 2 at all, I'm sorry to say.

#33 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,484 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted Yesterday, 05:24 PM

Didn't like Wasteland 2 at all, I'm sorry to say.

What was wrong with it?

#34 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted Today, 04:15 AM

Took itself and the post-apocalyptic scenario too seriously; that may have worked 30 years ago, but since then it has degenerated into a trope unless you're really, really good at it (The Road comes to mind, but computer games just aren't there yet as far as the range of expression is concerned). But - that's a side issue. What really irked me was one of the early missions with a village of incredibly whiny villagers. So there's gangsters, that have set houses on fire. You're expected to fight the gangsters (takes some time to take them out) and to fight the fire at the same time (a nearly impossible task), and it's further complicated by the fact that the villagers removed a crucial part from the water supply and hid it in a location on the other side of the town, on top of the Cliffs of Insanity, in a stupid cave. By the time that you have fought the bandits, collected the part, installed it, then activated the water supply to douse the flames, all the villagers that stood by fiddling their thumbs blame you for everything that happened to them.

In short, these inbreds pressed all the buttons that work on me. Your own crew then joins the Greek choir of lament that "we" have to do better "next time" since "we" depend on the goodwill of the people.

I have since then made it a rule that NPCs that are too incompetent and lazy deserve everything that happens to them, and I will let my characters piss on their graves (if the game models such action).

The rest of the game I found largely uninspiring, so I asked myself if I wanted to alternate between boredom and getting worked up over scripted missions that were unrealistically hard, and which would reward me with unfair criticism. Given the limited time budget and the most likely true observation that nobody on his deathbed will say that he wished to have played more computer games, I came to obvious conclusions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users