525 replies to this topic

#521 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 0551 AM

A safety lever is more simple to the gun designer, but I was thinking KISS for the logistics soldier who's super-stressed in an ambush.

Would be too bad if he musters the courage to expose himself for saimed shots after 10 seconds and then can't shoot because the lever is still on safe.

Soldiers are drilled to swipe the safety switch before firing. I certainly never missed doing it Although not a trained infantryman.

#522 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 1632 PM

2017-10-11_G95-HK16A7.jpg

HK416 A7 is the new Gewehr, Spezialkräfte G95

among the differences to the HK416 A5 aka G38 is the different colour, the short-throw safety lever (not the markings), the trigger mechanics are encased in a cassette instead of directly mounted to the receiver and a few other changes. Planned to buy 1.705 examples for KSK and KSM.

Do not ask me how they came up with that number I have no clue. There is already the G38 in use with federal and memberstate LEOs and there was the project called G26 to buy a compact rifle for MP and KSK.

http://strategie-tec...n-das-neue.html

#523 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 0917 AM

german and austrian accents explaining the RS556 rifle in one video. :D

#524 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 1833 PM

When your G36 are melting:

Go back to old relible. :D

(i think we have had that video before)

#525 Loopycrank

Loopycrank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 2309 PM

They didn't mention closed bolt operation, but I suppose we can be sure about it?

... I can think of only two assault rifles that were open bolt, and only one of those was even quasi mass-produced.  Of course it's closed bolt.

A safety lever is more simple to the gun designer, but I was thinking KISS for the logistics soldier who's super-stressed in an ambush.

Would be too bad if he musters the courage to expose himself for saimed shots after 10 seconds and then can't shoot because the lever is still on safe.

Why do you think it takes ten seconds to aim a rifle shot, and how long do you think it takes to sweep the safety off even if the soldier realizes that he's derped up and somehow forgotten to take it off safe?

Alternative safety systems have been tried for assault rifles, namely double-action triggers like in handguns.  Beretta considered the concept early in the development of the ARX-160 and dropped it quickly.  They're a bad idea.

Handguns live in holsters, and a holster that's designed by anyone who doesn't have a hole in their head will completely enclose and protect the trigger.  The danger of negligent discharge of the weapon comes from the user accidentally fingering the trigger when they didn't intend to, which does occasionally happen.

Rifles don't live in holsters.  Rifles live on slings most of the time, and held in the soldier's hands at a low ready much of the time.  Branches, bits of clothing, and other environmental hazards will conspire to snag the trigger, so just a grip safety isn't adequate at all.  It's not an issue of designer convenience; grip safeties are extremely simple and no more complex than a manual safety.  The issue is that the rifle absolutely needs some means of positively locking the trigger out because that trigger is exposed.

#526 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,073 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 10 November 2017 - 0701 AM

It's a shame Eugene Stoner isn't alive now to see his designs taking over in countries that had their own thriving and famous gun designers/producers until not so long ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users