29 replies to this topic

#21 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1038 AM

Algeria is North Africa, not Middle East. It's directly South of France.

https://www.google.c...xC3MQ8gEIhAEwDw

Are you sure the author of the article knows that too? Assuming he knows the buyer and doens't get his info from the seller's PR department. 

#22 ink

ink

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1130 AM

Does Iran have a delegation at IDEX2017? Either way, strikes me that they don't do business this way (announcing purchases at big ticket events). My money's on Kuwait. But I'll be annoyed if it turns out to be Algeria because they do sometimes get lumped in with ME counties thanks to Arabic being the majority language.

#23 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1259 PM

Kuwait? They have lot's of M1s. Why not buy more of the same. Simpler logistics and the new US administration is very likely to sell given their anti Iran views. 

#24 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1304 PM

Maybe they should reform CENTO with the Evil Joos taking Persia's place.

So there are absolutely no whispers about whom might want these things? I idly wondered if its Egypt, but that would be really cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Given that Egypt is building most of the components of their M1A1s/A2s themselves, they would not want to mess up that deal.  It provides employment for hundreds and layoffs from civilian defense jobs are bad politics in most countries.

#25 alejandro_

alejandro_

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1321 PM

Well 'back in the day' the Algerians used to boast (along with Syria & Iraq) that the USSR would sell them better weapons systems than even some members of the Warsaw Pact.

It is not surprising because Algerians and other non Warsaw Pact used to pay in cash.

Given that Egypt is building most of the components of their M1A1s/A2s themselves,

As I understand Egypt builds certain components and does the final assembly, but most components are manufactured in US.

#26 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1325 PM

Well 'back in the day' the Algerians used to boast (along with Syria & Iraq) that the USSR would sell them better weapons systems than even some members of the Warsaw Pact.

It is not surprising because Algerians and other non Warsaw Pact used to pay in cash.

Given that Egypt is building most of the components of their M1A1s/A2s themselves,

As I understand Egypt builds certain components and does the final assembly, but most components are manufactured in US.

They've been touting 75% or so made in Egypt. But that could just be by weight. I'm not sure so I'm going to refrain from speculation so as to avoid putting my foot in my mouth. :unsure:

#27 crazyinsane105

crazyinsane105

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1358 PM

Does Iran have a delegation at IDEX2017? Either way, strikes me that they don't do business this way (announcing purchases at big ticket events). My money's on Kuwait. But I'll be annoyed if it turns out to be Algeria because they do sometimes get lumped in with ME counties thanks to Arabic being the majority language.

They are barred from buying most conventional weapons until 2020. They are in the midst of negotiating a rather large arms deal with Russia rumored to be around 10 billion dollars, but that will probably take a while to implement and my guess is that it won't be announced until the arms embargo is lifted.

#28 ink

ink

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1555 PM

Kuwait? They have lot's of M1s. Why not buy more of the same. Simpler logistics and the new US administration is very likely to sell given their anti Iran views. 

They've been looking for an M-84 replacement for a while now so I figured this might be it. On reflection, however, you're probably right, they do have all those M1s.

So who then? UAE, Iraq, Qatar, Oman...?

#29 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 1647 PM

The Israelis won't sell?

Kuwait will not buy for sure.

#30 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 0935 AM

I mean they got the 'real' stuff, not downgraded 'monkey models'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: T-90, Russia