14778 replies to this topic

#14761 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,306 posts

Posted Today, 11:54 AM

Says here the average number of ambassadors that are political appointees is 30 percent. Under Trump currently it's 45 percent.
https://www.politico...ng-ambassadors/

What makes someone a political appointee? Whether or not the person deciding that they were appointed for good reasons that they approved of or that they disliked and which case they're obviously a political appointee? 

I thought one of Trump's "failures" was not appointing enough ambassadors, now they are saying too many were?

#14762 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,306 posts

Posted Today, 11:54 AM

Says here the average number of ambassadors that are political appointees is 30 percent. Under Trump currently it's 45 percent.https://www.politico...ng-ambassadors/

What makes someone a political appointee? Whether or not the person deciding that they were appointed for good reasons that they approved of or that they disliked and which case they're obviously a political appointee?

What wrong with leaving the State Department to make appointments according to skill and earned seniority?

"skill and earned seniority"? Given the long history of Foggy Bottom and the current history of them actively working against candidate Trump and President Trump? Give me a break.

#14763 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,048 posts

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

Trump is doing his level best to deconstruct a system put in place to win the cold war at the expense of blue collar economics. 

Intersectionality was NOT put in place to win the cold war FOR THE US. Some of these mechanisms and systems are specific artifacts out of the critical theory camp. 

#14764 Brasidas

Brasidas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,624 posts

Posted Today, 11:58 AM

Yes, but you live in the world. As I've said many times before, it's an illusion the US can withdraw from the world, as self evidently you exist in it.
Where do you draw the line that threats must not pass?Mosul, Cuba, New York?
Further, we are all globally connected. We are all connected via flights, international trade, security concerns. If the US could not avoid the effects of globalization as long ago as the 1950s, why is it going to avoid them now?
Had nobody learned anything from 911? You don't have to go to the middle East for it to come to you. Three times by my calculation.

External non-state threats are less of a threat to security than a government that caters to pan-global concerns to the detriment of those freedoms. State threats get handled by agencies that fulfill their role without being politicized like the military and CIA. I don't think the US can completely isolate itself economically or politically, and I don't think we should. However the US govt should prioritize concerns of it's citizens over those of trading partners and even international allies. The US govt hasn't been doing that for quite a while IMO.

#14765 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,626 posts

Posted Today, 12:03 PM

Says here the average number of ambassadors that are political appointees is 30 percent. Under Trump currently it's 45 percent.https://www.politico...ng-ambassadors/

What wrong with leaving the State Department to make appointments according to skill and earned seniority?

"skill and earned seniority"? Given the long history of Foggy Bottom and the current history of them actively working against candidate Trump and President Trump? Give me a break.

Obama's ambassador to Norway:

#14766 Brasidas

Brasidas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,624 posts

Posted Today, 12:14 PM

Trump is doing his level best to deconstruct a system put in place to win the cold war at the expense of blue collar economics.

Intersectionality was NOT put in place to win the cold war FOR THE US. Some of these mechanisms and systems are specific artifacts out of the critical theory camp.

I would agree, but also clarify that Trump can't do much about that.

#14767 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted Today, 12:25 PM

Obama's ambassador to Norway:

This guy was nominated as US ambassador to Norway by Obama. He's a CEO and would have been a political appointee, not a career foreign service officer. So you're kinda missing the point here.

#14768 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted Today, 12:44 PM

Many members just focus their strong anti-Americanism on Trump, because he is doing his best to make America powerful again, while they want to see America down in the dirt. #sad

How is withdrawing from the world, throwing Allies under the bus, and enhancing the strategic posture of America's enemies making America powerful? That really is counter intuitive in a 'war is peace, ignorance is strength' kind of way.
Pence in Turkey demanding a ceasefire, Trump announces at the same time 'it's not our problem'. Smart power 2019 Edition.

America has no allies, every ally is also a competitor and most have been sucking resources from the US for decades. America first must be the basic principle for every decision.

Take a look at the casualty list from Afghanistan and Iraq, and keep chanting that nonsense to yourself. It still won't be true no matter how many times you do it.

America first and only got America Pearl Harbor and World Trade Center totalled. Good luck with that doctrine.

#14769 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted Today, 12:49 PM

You didnt win the Cold War for the US. Go take a look at the statements of Ronald Reagan. His comments about the Berlin Wall and Eastern Europe make no sense in the America first doctrine.

Besides, we didn't win the Cold war. Count how many Communists your President praised the other day in the PRC.

#14770 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,626 posts

Posted Today, 12:52 PM

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
9 Oct
I am pleased to have reached a bipartisan agreement with Senator
@ChrisVanHollen
on severe sanctions against Turkey for their invasion of Syria.

While the Administration refuses to act against Turkey, I expect strong bipartisan support.
Show this thread
Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
1h
The statements by President Trump about Turkey’s invasion being of no concern to us also completely undercut Vice President Pence and Sec. Pompeo’s ability to end the conflict.
Show this thread
Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
1h
I worry we will not have allies in the future against radical Islam, ISIS will reemerge, & Iran’s rise in Syria will become a nightmare for Israel.

I fear this is a complete and utter national security disaster in the making and I hope President Trump will adjust his thinking.
Show this thread
Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
1h
However, I firmly believe that if President Trump continues to make such statements this will be a disaster worse than President Obama’s decision to leave Iraq

#14771 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,048 posts

Posted Today, 01:37 PM

Besides, we didn't win the Cold war. Count how many admitted communists are in the UK's Labor Party. 

FIFY

#14772 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted Today, 01:50 PM

America has no allies, every ally is also a competitor and most have been sucking resources from the US for decades. America first must be the basic principle for every decision.

Better for Japan and Japanese to recognize and be aware of the manifestations of this American mindset now, than to be caught off guard by them later.

#14773 Brasidas

Brasidas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,624 posts

Posted Today, 02:28 PM

Better for Japan and Japanese to recognize and be aware of the manifestations of this American mindset now, than to be caught off guard by them later.

I'd hesitate to say the mindset here is representative of the US per se. However, I think it would also be foolhardy to presume the PRC won't use proximity and economics to weaken any economic and security alliances Japan may have that could limit Chinese domination of the Eastern Pacific region. Power politics are ultimately pragmatic and not very idealistic. Japan may pass up opportunities for the sake of history, but I expect they may not.

Personally I hope we and the Japanese maintain a close strategic relationship. Time will tell.

#14774 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted Today, 03:53 PM

The best approach for Japan would be to be well prepared, politically and militarily, for the contingencies of this American mindset. It is critical to understand that as China rises, so too must Japan and Japanese. Reassuringly, this fits with what I believe is Abe's long-term vision of the future of the Japanese people.

The evolution of the strategic relationship between Japan and the United States to that of one between equals would be a natural result of this vision. It would also be welcomed.

#14775 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,689 posts

Posted Today, 05:30 PM

Take a look at the casualty list from Afghanistan and Iraq, and keep chanting that nonsense to yourself. It still won't be true no matter how many times you do it.

America first and only got America Pearl Harbor and World Trade Center totalled. Good luck with that doctrine.

So we agree, with the ROW now ready and willing to step up the US can withdraw from the Middle East and allow those other nations to be heroic.  Why are you so afraid of the United States America withdrawing from a leading role in world affairs?  Over the last four or so days I've asked of you, why don't you petition your own government to take the lead?  Well, why not?  You and your countrymen have spent the last half century telling us how badly we've screwed up, especially so over the last 15+ years.  Ask your government to show the cousins how to intervene in the Middle East so that everyone is happy and nobody is killed doing it.  I know, I know, the last few times you Brits took the lead in the Middle East things didn't go very well at all, but you could try again, couldn't you?

#14776 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted Today, 05:49 PM

Has the USA learned from the mistakes of other nations?

#14777 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 51 minutes ago

Most posters here were fervent supporters of the invasion of Iraq and only turned against it because Trump said it was bad. I'm not expecting them to provide any substantive foreign policy advice and I'm definitely not commenting on this thread anymore. 

#14778 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,009 posts

Posted 36 minutes ago

Most posters here were fervent supporters of the invasion of Iraq and only turned against it because Trump said it was bad. I'm not expecting them to provide any substantive foreign policy advice and I'm definitely not commenting on this thread anymore.

Are you sure the turnaround was with Trump in 2016? I recall reading an old thread that involved intense discussion between them about the Iraq War with one poster not around anymore and before my time (Rocky Davis IIRC). Was around 2010.

Its really bad if stated recalloctions are so badly off the mark.

#14779 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,689 posts

Posted 7 minutes ago

I wasn't a member for the run up and through the initial invasion, but I can assure you I never thought it a good idea and I thought Powell was a fool for going before the UN with that amateurish "intelligence."  For that matter, neither did I think the "righteous" war on Afghanistan was a good idea.  Still don't.  I do concede nationalistic pride in not wanting the results in Iraq to go south, but that doesn't mean I ever thought the war on both Iraq and Afghanistan were good ideas.

Why not continue commenting on this thread?  Caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place?  If you support the thesis that the United States shouldn't involve itself in the ME, you're tacitly supporting Trump.  If you disagree with Trump, that the US should withdraw from Syria, you are tacitly giving credence to the idea that the United States should start a war against a NATO ally.