228 replies to this topic

#61 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,610 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0801 AM

King and I only ever disagreed about one thing; could a Garand be re-loaded faster than a M-14.

We were going to have a shoot-off some day - can we do do that in the next life?

If you accept what CS Lewis argues yes you can, but the again you won't have to do a shoot off, as you will both know the answer already.

King knows the answer now for sure, he will tell you when you get there.

#62 Crowe

Crowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0804 AM

Never had the honor of meeting him in real life, but was fortunate to learn a thing or two from him online.
His will be a light truly missed in this world. My condolences to his friends and family.

Rest in peace, friend.

C. Rowe

#63 Rubberneck

Rubberneck

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0805 AM

RIP King.

You were unique, which is what makes life special.

I had no idea things had progressed to this point. I thought he was going to be released from the hospital in a few days.

#64 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0813 AM

This is sad news indeed. He'll be missed.

#65 nitflegal

nitflegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0842 AM

I know he's had a rough time of it lately, so I hope he is at peace and in comfort (and telling more than a few historical generals off!). He will be a tremendous loss to many on the net as, while he could be opinionated, his opinions were extremely well researched and informative. I can say I learned a tremendous amount from the man and was a bit in awe of his encyclopedic knowledge of damned near everything that has happened for the past few millenia on a battlefield. If God is as kind and just as I believe He is, King is already watching Operation Market Garden in real time and discussing it with a few of the participants.

Man, this really sucks.

Matt

#66 JOE BRENNAN

JOE BRENNAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,970 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0905 AM

That's very sad news. I learned a lot from King and I'll miss him. I'll say a prayer.

Joe

#67 TSJ

TSJ

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0909 AM

Rest in peace, King. I always thought you were a fair person in your postings. You will be missed.

#68 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0910 AM

Damn I was hoping he would get better.

Here is the man, as a member of the Sherman Lovers Club at CFB Borden at the Canadian I &I - King is in the Blue Jacket, back row, 3d from the left grey hair and shades leaning against the Sherman

Posted Image
And this next picture of the SLC was taken when King noticed the Panther was on fire and we became firefighters :D

Posted Image

King you are missed already.... as part of our Recce Party, I know you will have places waiting for us... Say Hello to McAurther, and Monty for us

Thanks Andrew, those pictures bring back memories, very good ones. I can't believe that that was more than 10 years ago, though when I look at how young and skinny I was, I CAN believe it. We're getting to be some old bastages.

#69 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0915 AM

I will always appreciate the kindness he showed towards me, especially when I wasn't worthy of it.

RIP.

#70 Bob B

Bob B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0938 AM

This is very sad news. I will miss him.

#71 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0939 AM

King played the role of an opinionated codger and foil on this grate site for many years.

The couple of times I met him, he confirmed that he was a genuine, warm, interesting, and interested gentleman. I wish him Godspeed and many interesting discussions on the other side. RIP.

#72 Al

Al

aka Al

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0951 AM

Only met him once a few years back at an I&I but took him as a man full of life & knowledge. He will be missed.

RIP

Edited by Al, 12 April 2010 - 0952 AM.

#73 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0955 AM

There aren't many people on this site whose opinion I respected as much as his - both for the depth of his knowledge and the wise way he shared it. I will definitely miss him. RIP.

#74 Brad Sallows

Brad Sallows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 1011 AM

King was a great contributor here in both historical and hypothetical discussions. The site will be a little less for his passing.

#75 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 1059 AM

King, King...funny name for a guy that was such a prince.

#76 Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 1127 AM

Rest in peace.

#77 Steven P Allen

Steven P Allen

Tilter at Windmills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 1128 AM

I will always appreciate the kindness he showed towards me, especially when I wasn't worthy of it.

RIP.

Same here. I had the honor of meeting him in person, and I owe him a great deal.

#78 Sikkiyn

Sikkiyn

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 1133 AM

I raise my cup in salute.

#79 Rocky Davis

Rocky Davis

Old Broken Down Retired Tanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 1146 AM

I don't rightly know what to say about hearing this news. I'm stunned.

#80 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 1154 AM

I don't rightly know what to say about hearing this news. I'm stunned.

Hard to think of the right words. Even with all of his idosyncrasies -- perhaps because of them -- the guy seemed larger than life. I think he will always remain so in my memory. And it's not like he and I always got along, here or other places on the net. But in the final analysis he transcended that. And that's saying something for a broken down old ex-cop.

Edited by aevans, 12 April 2010 - 1154 AM.