649 replies to this topic

#641 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1527 PM

This looks better than the last one. It has historic tanks as opposed to the modern stuff. ;)

https://youtu.be/ODeotvFxTdo

#642 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,019 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 10 June 2019 - 0456 AM

I did not want to start a new thread anywhere, but does anyone know what the interior colour was for British AFV / softskins in WW2?

Thanks

#643 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,195 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 10 June 2019 - 0731 AM

I did not want to start a new thread anywhere, but does anyone know what the interior colour was for British AFV / softskins in WW2?

Thanks

From what I've seen, the inside of Brit tanks was silver.  Trucks seemed to be green.

#644 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1356 PM

Thanks

From what I've seen, the inside of Brit tanks was silver.  Trucks seemed to be green.
It was pretty much up until the same until challenger2 they were still using silver stain on Challenger1, I wouldn't call it paint as it came of on your skin in hot weather.

Edited by Wobbly Head, 10 June 2019 - 1519 PM.

#645 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,019 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1614 PM

Thank you gentlemen

#646 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,730 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1846 PM

Thanks

It was pretty much up until the same until challenger2 they were still using silver stain on Challenger1, I wouldn't call it paint as it came of on your skin in hot weather.

Even Tremclad Silver paint will do that, i think it has something to do with the colouring.

#647 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,405 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 1905 PM

Thanks

Even Tremclad Silver paint will do that, i think it has something to do with the colouring.

The extra vowel is the culprit.

#648 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,528 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 11 June 2019 - 0257 AM

Thanks

Soft skins were typically what ever the exterior color was. If the lorry was painted SCC.2 aka DSB, aka Dog Shit Brown, it was painted that way inside too. If SCC.15 (Olive Green) as a base, then that was what the interior was. What ever the base color was at the factory. If a disruption pattern was applied it was probably not extended inside. 

AFV's were white inside (unless an open topped vehicle like a scout car, half track or SPG, etc. Early on it was an aluminized paint, like post war, but the Aluminum was a strategic material so it was dispensed with for the duration. Vandal had evidence of white under the silver as to most WWII era AFVs as the silver was applied after the war when the aluminum became more available again as a light reflective but less obvious 'oh look at your boot prints all over everything color. On Vandal when we were stripping down all the interior parts, you could can find where the silver was applied over white parts after they'd been installed some time later. 

Most of the time the interior restorations are not as finicky. We noted various parts that had original colors on the factory part and made a point of not repainting them all over unless it seemed like they'd have been done so. I color matched the Eau-du-nil from an interior base part that had been sandwiched between other parts to get the closest match possible. Also, we figured that likely many parts from different manufacturers (CAV, Lucas, etc ) would have had various shades of SCC15 or SCC.2 or what not. 

Some fittings would be eau-du-nil as from the manufacturer (Dash, some covers, etc). Others would be black or even that crinkle finish black (Like the CAV box) you find on cameras, some electronics and Post war Sterlings. Leather would be oiled and left to be. Canvas likely to be blanco'd or left alone. 

Humber4acVandal%20(58).jpg

Edited by rmgill, 11 June 2019 - 0258 AM.

#649 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 0641 AM

Useful, thank you

#650 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1434 PM

Some is going to catch flak for this video!

https://youtu.be/8JRp51TVDuE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users