260 replies to this topic

#21 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 2007 PM

Had a crack at the HMMWV rollover trainer the other day.

Kindof a fun ride, except for that minute or so that you're upside down with half the weight on your neck as you're trying to resist the weight of the body armour breaking it. The inability to bend is also a bit annoying when trying to reorient yourself in the small space after undoing the seat belt and falling to the ceiling. I did better than our S-2, who had is airway blocked and had to be rescued. Both times.

You really do have to take a bit of a pause after you're righted yourself though. I spent a couple of seconds wondering why the door was so far away from me, and how the hell the TC got between me and it.

NTM

#22 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 0747 AM

Yeah, the HEAT is fun, like a free ride at Disney land....

Could be worse, you could be at Camp Shelby, Miss. Been here since mid April, and are in "oh God, just let us get this started already" mode.

I'm also on staff this time 'round, and by the sound of if, we might be in the same neck of the er... woods.

#23 medicjim86

medicjim86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 0810 AM

About ten minutes later, call from Household 6. "Honey, I'm pregnant. Due in about 8 months."
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Still, at least I'll get plenty of sleep.

NTM

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Moran...you'll need to be a bit more cautious this time, you've got a family to come home to now.

Oh, don't worry....your new bundle of joy will still be waking everyone up at odd hours when you get back....it lasts a good while.

#24 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,521 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 1851 PM

Thanks to whomever for moving this thread!

#25 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 1953 PM

There's a document going around on 'My view on the Afghanistan deployments: Afghan solutions for Afghan problems" by an O-3 with two tours there, currently mobing for a third. (48th IN). He reserves a particular vitriol for First Army and their check-the-box training. (He calls it "Monkey do trick, monkey get banana"). I don't know if it's quite as bad as he makes it out, but there does seem to be great disparity in the quality and attitude of the training. We've had some good training, and some of the worst training ever 'trained.' (We were particularly amused by the recomendation of masturbation to reduce stress, and the requirement for 72 square feet of space for every soldier. We're certainly crammed much tighter than that)

NTM

#26 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 0856 AM

It is that bad and more.

(The rest on IM).

#27 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 1001 AM

Hmm. APFT.

Harumph.

NTM

#28 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 2207 PM

This might be usefull Nick

http://afghanlessons.blogspot.com/

#29 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 2231 PM

Had a couple of medics drop by the office today. They were hanging formaldehyde detectors from the ceiling.

We're working out of FEMA trailers...

NTM

#30 Sikkiyn

Sikkiyn

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 0122 AM

There's a document going around on 'My view on the Afghanistan deployments: Afghan solutions for Afghan problems" by an O-3 with two tours there, currently mobing for a third. (48th IN). He reserves a particular vitriol for First Army and their check-the-box training. (He calls it "Monkey do trick, monkey get banana"). I don't know if it's quite as bad as he makes it out, but there does seem to be great disparity in the quality and attitude of the training. We've had some good training, and some of the worst training ever 'trained.' (We were particularly amused by the recomendation of masturbation to reduce stress, and the requirement for 72 square feet of space for every soldier. We're certainly crammed much tighter than that)

NTM

The 75th TSD is a tired joke.

The best way to reduce stress is:

..take General order #1 and shove it up the ass, (with a ramming tool,) of the person who's "good idea fairy™" came up with it.
we actually tossed around the idea of issuing out chits (1 beer a night,) and the mere thought of it going through sent morale through the roof. Of course it went to the top and the top was without brains...wasn't the Army Standard™ "insert a tanker load of puke here", and thus was no-go; which immediately sent morale through the floor, up-to and including a mass of soldiers who followed through on their pact, and refused to extend their enlistments; over a BN worth.

..id the idiots of all ranks immediately and put them in the same platoon with each other; misery loves company, let them enjoy each other. With any luck Timmie will take notice of the weak link and solve everyone's problem.

..69J bunker tool attachments (.mil and contractor females)

/// edited... can't spell for beans this late at night ///

Edited by Sikkiyn, 28 May 2009 - 0126 AM.

#31 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 0846 AM

A SFC from my State serving in A-Stan got fucked up bad by an IED. Knew the guy pretty well as he was an Intell NCO in my BDE HQ, did a Warfighter CPX with him. Day I got transfered out of the command he got word he was accepted for the tour. Pretty excited about it.

http://www.blackfive...nd-support.html

eom.

#32 Rubberneck

Rubberneck

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 2000 PM

I'm seriously considering writing my SAMS monograph on pre and post mobilization training, focusing on the generally atrocious job First Army does when training RC troops.

It's either that or creating a new ARFORGEN cycle for RC units.

#33 Sikkiyn

Sikkiyn

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 2346 PM

I'm seriously considering writing my SAMS monograph on pre and post mobilization training, focusing on the generally atrocious job First Army does when training RC troops.

It's either that or creating a new ARFORGEN cycle for RC units.

Join an exhaustively long line of those who have gone before you.
I added my 2c to CALL, and to my knowledge some of it was put to good use.

We actually trained ourselves better than they did, by using people within our own unit who had been there, done that. The lanes were nothing more than check the box bullshit, and offered nothing of any real substance. They were actually honest about the whole process up front and openly stated "they didn't have a clue how to train us for our mission". We pointed out our own in-house training, went through their lanes just for the check, and marched downrange with a big middle finger in the air.

They offered each of us a chance to join them while we were going through our out-processing. It was actually very amusing, their table stayed empty through all three days, no one wanted anything to do with them, and rightfully so. Anyone with any real knowledge would get snow-balled under the Politik™ bs, and not be able to honestly impart any real knowledge that didn't fit the check-the-box mentality.

#34 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 0005 AM

There is a saying scrawled in one of our barracks latrine's here at Camp Shelby:

"First Army, where NCOs go when their careers are dead."

#35 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 1844 PM

I worked with 1A on three straight NG deployments. Every freaking one was considered a separate entity and lessons learned from the last brigade were not brought forward. :angry:

#36 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 1638 PM

You know, weve been at war for seven years and are still working on what right looks like. Trying to fight a two theatre war with an Army trying to unfuck itself from Peacetime limitations and restrictions.

If we ran mobilizations like this in WWII we would have lost. <_<

#37 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,870 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 1801 PM

Good luck to you and your men, Manic.

#38 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 2114 PM

Fired what will probably be the only live 5.56mm rounds for the entire Title-10 mobilisation outside of zeoring, on the Convoy Live Fire range.

A very risk-averse range. "Drive here. Start shooting now. Stop shooting now. Dismount here.Shoot from heere. Get in.

NTM

#39 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 1133 AM

Flew back home for a couple of days. US Airways bumped me to 1st Class both legs.

C-section. Girl.

NTM

#40 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,522 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 1413 PM

Ehm, er, what?

Congratulations ... I think.