• Please log in to reply
1061 replies to this topic

#1 Rod

Rod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 0119 AM

So let me get this straight. This Afghan policeman shoots 2 NATO Spanish soldiers dead. He is then shot dead. The people hear the news and try to storm the base in protest. So I guess we should have just slapped the shooter in the face and tell him that that was a bad thing to do? WTF??? It seems to me that this people deserve the Taliban imposing their will on them. Time to leave and just give guns and cash to whichever tribe/ethnic group wants to be on our side.

Afghanistan shooting sparks protests at Spanish base

http://www.bbc.co.uk...h-asia-11081945

"25 August 2010 Last updated at 06:14 ET Help
There has been angry reaction to the shooting dead of an Afghan policeman by Spanish forces at a base in western Afghanistan.

Spanish officials say the man was taking part in a training course when he opened fire on his instructors, killing two officers and an interpreter.

The governor of Badghis province said more than 1,000 protesters tried to storm the base after news of the incident spread. "

#2 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 0525 AM

The governor of Badghis province said more than 1,000 protesters tried to storm the base after news of the incident spread. "

Were they met with grapeshot, or atleast Claymores?

#3 Gunguy

Gunguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 0801 AM

That is the ENTIRE problem. No grapeshot or claymores. A-stan is a complete boondoggle. The faster we get out the better. They have no modern systems for us to work with. Illiteracy is way up, 95%? They can't read information to learn, no banking systems, no legal system, nothing to build a modern society around. I say leave now, the Taliban can have it. We have MUCH better systems in place to stop attacks now then during 9/11. Plus, if we get hit every once in awhile (every 7 years?) who cares? It is a pinprick to our country. We lose more on a good weekend from drunk driving than to a major terrorist attack. So, we pull out but keep all of our anti-terrorist activities going, shut down the money flow, and kill various leaders as needed. Everyone is happy........ :)

#4 mnm

mnm

Plague doctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 0820 AM

Don't forget the Agent Orange on all those poppy fields!

I saw footage of the riot in the news yesterday, quite appalling! The ragheads (not an insult, just descriptive) were completely furious, throwing rocks at the compound! I hate to say this, but i agree with Gunguy!

#5 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1022 AM

Go Roman on the town.

#6 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1030 AM

Go Roman on the country.

Fixed it for you

#7 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1345 PM

Fixed it for you

Suits me. Filthy savages.

#8 Gunguy

Gunguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1748 PM

I'm sure we have chemicals now that make Agent Orange look like fertilizer. Hit them with massive spraying from C-130s carrying "Round up" or whatever the vegetation killer is called. That would keep them from making billions on the opium poppies. A full year round program would do nicely. Let them fight Pakistan for war booty to survive. At least then they aren't focused on outside projects.

#9 Rod

Rod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1833 PM

Agent Orange over Afghanistan would be reckless. But isn't there some form of poppy-killing disease that the Army Research Labs (or our Military-Industrial Complex)can develop to wipe out poppies and making it look like a regular plant disease infestation?

As for going Roman on the country, just let the Taliban take over those villages and hamlets. They will regress on the civilization scale faster than we could do it. As for terrorist bases, rather than following the Clinton approach and lob some cruise missiles, use massive carpet bombing in a sustained campaign to keep them off balance. The cost of a sustained bombing campaign to wipe out terrorists camps every once and then will probably be cheaper than keeping 100,000 NATO soldiers supplied after accounting to all trucks lost in attacks and the bribes paid to local warlords per truck for sage passage. That is not even counting the financial cost and more important human cost whenever a soldier is killed or maimed.

Best approach is the "Afghanization" of the campaign. Start removing foot soldiers and leave the air support and SOF for last. Tell Karzai that the countdown has started and we are not going to provide him with a cushy exile and he better get his shit together and fix his country otherwise his faith will be as of the late Najibulah.

#10 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1929 PM

whine whine whine...

#11 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,357 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1946 PM

If you're going Roman, then Agent Orange is out the window, and there will be a global shortage of table salt for a few months.

#12 Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 1956 PM

After we kill Osama Bin Laden and Mullah Omar, we leave the country but not before.

#13 FALightFighter

FALightFighter

Red-Legged Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 2102 PM

After we kill Osama Bin Laden and Mullah Omar, we leave the country but not before.

Neither of them are in Afghanistan, so I don't see the connection.

#14 crazyinsane105

crazyinsane105

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 2142 PM

Yeah, sure. :rolleyes: I guess somehow the US will magically find both Mullah Omar and OBL right before the deadline Obama gave for the Afghan troop withdrawal.

Both those figures haven't released statements for years now. There is division breaking out in the ranks of the Taliban because of Mullah Omar's alleged disappearance. I'm quite sure if the US packs up and leaves, the Taliban itself will break down into different warlords fighting for over control in Afghanistan and Al Qaeda will simply get stuck in a civil war instead of doing a jihad against Western crusaders.

#15 Rod

Rod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 2222 PM

Plus a lot of warlords, I mean allies, have made themselves reach by securing NATO supply routes. You can bet that these private armies will fight to defend their fiefdoms. The Shiite Hazaras have known what they can expect from the Sunni Talibans, so they will arm themselves (probably get support from Shiite Iran). It will resemble Somalia but for the control of the lucrative heroin trade and the meddling of Pakistan's ISI. Then India will support whomever the ISI is not supporting. Somehow I think if a giant sinkhole appeared and took out Pakistan and Afghanistan, the world would be a better place.

Yeah, sure. :rolleyes: I guess somehow the US will magically find both Mullah Omar and OBL right before the deadline Obama gave for the Afghan troop withdrawal.

Both those figures haven't released statements for years now. There is division breaking out in the ranks of the Taliban because of Mullah Omar's alleged disappearance. I'm quite sure if the US packs up and leaves, the Taliban itself will break down into different warlords fighting for over control in Afghanistan and Al Qaeda will simply get stuck in a civil war instead of doing a jihad against Western crusaders.

#16 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 2230 PM

Only for a year or two when someone emerges as top dog again. And there is no gerantee that "Al Qaeda" wouldn't be able reconstitute, train, and conduct foreign operations while the civil war was ongoing.

The reason the US went to Afghanistan and is still trying to reconstruct it is not to find Bin Laudin and Co. Its because it wants to prevent the conditions which allowed Al Qaeda to arise and find a safe haven there.

#17 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 0343 AM

Problem is that they are not bound to the region. Africa also offers lots of potential places for terror camps. Withdraw and then use Napalm on everything that looks like a training camp when needed. The st is to arm the Northern Alliance and other forces hostile to the Taliban.

Edited by seahawk, 27 August 2010 - 0344 AM.

#18 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 0654 AM

Agent Orange over Afghanistan would be reckless. But isn't there some form of poppy-killing disease that the Army Research Labs (or our Military-Industrial Complex)can develop to wipe out poppies and making it look like a regular plant disease infestation?

As for going Roman on the country, just let the Taliban take over those villages and hamlets. They will regress on the civilization scale faster than we could do it. As for terrorist bases, rather than following the Clinton approach and lob some cruise missiles, use massive carpet bombing in a sustained campaign to keep them off balance. The cost of a sustained bombing campaign to wipe out terrorists camps every once and then will probably be cheaper than keeping 100,000 NATO soldiers supplied after accounting to all trucks lost in attacks and the bribes paid to local warlords per truck for sage passage. That is not even counting the financial cost and more important human cost whenever a soldier is killed or maimed.

Best approach is the "Afghanization" of the campaign. Start removing foot soldiers and leave the air support and SOF for last. Tell Karzai that the countdown has started and we are not going to provide him with a cushy exile and he better get his shit together and fix his country otherwise his faith will be as of the late Najibulah.

Eradicating poppy production simply provides a recruitment drive for the Taliban with no effort on their part.
Unemployed young men are who the majority of "the Taliban" are.

#19 chino

chino

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 0730 AM

US is doing the right thing by being in A'stan because at least, they are keeping Al Qaeda on their toes.

But I seriously doubt US/NATO can last long enough in A'stan to make a difference. As soon as they leave, it'll go back to the dogs again.

Things really do not look rosy.

#20 Rod

Rod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 1126 AM

If we leave the area, who gives a f**k. Unemployed young men can be paid by Taliban, or any other warlord looking to expand their presence. And if they are looking solely for who pays the most, then for a fraction of stationing 100,000 NATO soldiers in Afghanistan, we can just pay off some warlords to harass the Taliban, not much different than when we supported the Northern Alliance: they provided the muscle and we provided the cash and equipment. Had we invested with the Northern Alliance much earlier than Sep. 11, 2001, then they would have had more time to take care of the Taliban.

Eradicating poppy production simply provides a recruitment drive for the Taliban with no effort on their part.
Unemployed young men are who the majority of "the Taliban" are.