Mr King

Putin's Personal Representative To Tanknet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,807 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1404 PM

This got sent out in Hawaii 

HQmSQH2.jpg

False alarm sends Hawaii scrambling amid report of a ballistic missile heading toward the island

Hawaii was rattled on Saturday after an alert claimed — falsely, as it turned out — that a ballistic missile was heading for the island.

Around 1pm Eastern, social media lit up with users in Hawaii who received cellphone alerts stating that a projectile was heading for the island. The message was accompanied by an ominous warning that the alarm was "not a drill."The alert momentarily sent recipients into a panic, until Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard debunked it as a false alarm. Hawaiian officials, as well as the U.S. Pacific Command, quickly followed suit."State Warning Point has issued a Missile Alert in ERROR! There is NO threat to the State of Hawaii," U.S. Pacific Command's David Benham said in a statement.

The panic comes as tensions between the U.S. and North Korea have been heightened. The totalitarian state has tested a volley of ballistic missiles. Amid the threat, Hawaii last month tested a nuclear siren warning for the first time since the Cold War.

#2 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1413 PM

I'm here in Hawaii, and it was an intense 10 minutes. The alert went out at 8:08 AM Hawaiian time which has to be some sort of sick joke. Everybody got messages on their phones reading "BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL."

If you're like most people, then you've never gotten anything like that on your phone. Let me tell you though, it was the best alarm I've ever had. Neighbors were panicking asking each other if they also got the alert, and the whole atmosphere in general was tense.
The worst part about the alert is that you couldn't find more information about it. I went online to see where the missile would hit or any other information, but none existed. The entirety of the Hawaiian Islands thought that it could be them.
Definitely an interesting way to start my day.

From someone on the reddit thread about it.

https://www.reddit.c...issile_sent_to/

Safe to say SOMEONE will be losing their sweet gig in Hawaii over this. 

I hope there are no fatalities from the panic.

#3 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 24,584 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1617 PM

That didn't take long, within an hour of the false alarm Tulsi Gabbard made a statement blaming Trump.

#4 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 16,533 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1621 PM

Rumors are that it got hacked, and some prankster sent out the alert.

#5 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1628 PM

According to Al Jabeeba, somebody pressed the wrong button.

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-42677604

#6 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1725 PM

People weren't taking it seriously, and now it's the talk of the town... I guess mission accomplished?

#7 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1848 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Nobody believes it will happen, until it does. Or, in this case, they will probably remember that they had no idea whatsoever what to actually do in such a case --- which may be motivation enough to finally start thinking about it.

#8 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 31,203 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1858 PM

Its amazing how far the Norks have progressed from no threat whatsoever on January 19, 2017 to presenting a serious threat to Hawaii today. 

#9 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1859 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Nobody believes it will happen, until it does. Or, in this case, they will probably remember that they had no idea whatsoever what to actually do in such a case --- which may be motivation enough to finally start thinking about it.

There is great truth in this. A few years ago a power Derecheo came through the DC area (from near Chicago, initially). It did a surprising amount of damage, and took out lots of power, and water services, and took out lots of gas stations. At my house we didn't lose power or water, but most of our neighbors did. I was on fumes for fuel when the storm hit, and took two days until I could find a station with fuel to refill. I took lessons learned from that event, and invested in WaterBricks for durable portable potable water supply, and always keep at least one vehicle with a full tank of gas. 

I wouldn't have made those simple changes except for a close call/scare. 

Edited by CT96, 13 January 2018 - 1900 PM.

#10 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1907 PM

Luckily my entire roof is made up of school desks from the 1950s...

#11 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1936 PM

People weren't taking it seriously, and now it's the talk of the town...

And it has happened in the Hawaiian Islands of all places. That should be the one part of the USA to know better because it has happened to them before.

#12 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 22,461 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1941 PM

Its amazing how far the Norks have progressed from no threat whatsoever on January 19, 2017 to presenting a serious threat to Hawaii today. 

Wow, we can give Trump credit for the entire BMD system. Lovely. 

Luckily my entire roof is made up of school desks from the 1950s...

Internet win for the day. 

hmm. 
Do you have a supply of paper bag hats too though? 

Edited by rmgill, 13 January 2018 - 1942 PM.

#13 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • 28,154 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1953 PM

Indeed.

It's amazing how often the intelligence community gets the real threats horribly wrong, maybe they were too busy reading the Trump dossier and wiretapping the campaign to pay attention to distant little worries like the Norks.

It also make you wonder just what kind of help the Norks are getting on missile and warhead technology to make such rapid advancements and just how few nations are capable and willing to provide such help.

#14 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 24,584 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 2005 PM

It also make you wonder just what kind of help the Norks are getting on missile and warhead technology to make such rapid advancements and just how few nations are capable and willing to provide such help.

I've always wondered about the Pakis burning both ends of the candle so to speak.

#15 Mr King

Mr King

Putin's Personal Representative To Tanknet

• Members
  • 17,807 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 2225 PM

#16 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 0130 AM

#17 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 48,720 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 0320 AM

This thread needs music...

#18 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 0458 AM

I'm not even mad, that's better cover than what most people probably would think of

#19 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 48,720 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 0532 AM

Probably saw 'Wolverine'.

Well it was a better idea than Duck and Cover anyway....

#20 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 14 January 2018 - 0806 AM

I'm rather sick of the mockery of "Duck and Cover", to be honest. There is a lot of merit in the concept, as long as you're facing but a single nuclear blast, if you're taken by surprise, and if your distance to ground zero is large(ish). Arguably that will apply to the vast majority of people. As an immediate reaction it's the best that you can do, and it may actually save you from injury from the blast wave too.

Sure. In the face of a global thermonuclear apocalypse this will only delay the inevitable. But most of the criticism of Duck and Cover is ideologically motivated, based on the unspoken assertion that a global thermonuclear apocalypse is the only possible scenario (and therefore, we must disarm unilaterally, now).

Maybe in the 1960s with the doctrine of Massive Retaliation in a bipolar world order a non-escalation into an all-out global thermonuclear exchange was highly unlikely. When Duck and Cover was conceived in the 1950s the number of nuclear weapons was still very small; today, in a scenario of a rogue state or nuclear terrorism the number of nuclear blasts that the US/European population should prepare for is also rather small, again.

Sure, if you're caught in the fallout area, and if you're not in a shelter designed and maintained to support you for several weeks if not months, you're fucked. But those are all considerations that you can contemplate after you survived the initial blast wave. As an initial survival reaction whe caught unprepared, Duck and Cover actually is highly advisable.

Mocking Duck and Cover will cost ten thousands of unnecessary deaths because it delivers the excuse not to prepare at all.

Edited by Ssnake, 14 January 2018 - 0809 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users