• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,818 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 20 January 2019 - 2244 PM

My bad :)

No problem; Doug is off, too.  In '38, it was the Army Air CORPS:P  Zoomies were just getting their wings (and attitude ;) )

I accept the rebuke willingly and with a toxic masculine grin on my face.    :D

#102 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,775 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 20 January 2019 - 2327 PM

No problem; Doug is off, too.  In '38, it was the Army Air CORPS:P  Zoomies were just getting their wings (and attitude ;) )

HA! 😝

Edited by shep854, 20 January 2019 - 2328 PM.

#103 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Interests:history, music

Posted 23 January 2019 - 1811 PM

According to Wiki the record-breaker Wellesleys were 3 out of 5 special builds, which fact makes them comparable to  the 2 Russian special aircraft, not? Everyday aviation seems to be far from 11.000 kilometers then.

#104 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,818 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 24 January 2019 - 2246 PM

According to Wiki the record-breaker Wellesleys were 3 out of 5 special builds, which fact makes them comparable to  the 2 Russian special aircraft, not? Everyday aviation seems to be far from 11.000 kilometers then.

That is true, but if the USA had understood that the ANTS that crossed the pole had not a snowflake's chance in hell of becoming a viable weapon against the USA, then the feat would have been meaningless.  The Wellessley were at least based on a service aircraft, and demonstrated in many ways that other service aircraft, not just esoteric experimental types, were capable of adoption for long range.

It should be remembered that the next record holder (not closed circuit that is) - the P-2 known as the Truculent Turtle - was the third production Neptune and had been re-fitted "Loaded with fuel in extra tanks fitted in practically every spare space in the aircraft," which did not stop that particular aircraft from being able to claim the record, while service aircraft continued to be built.  No service ANT-25 was ever constructed.  It was a design dead end.

Edited by DougRichards, 25 January 2019 - 2300 PM.

#105 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 0831 AM

604099fc-2eec-4f8b-a41f-ed9bc0858bb7.jpg

:P

#106 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 2258 PM

HA!

But I will not shave that toxic masculine face with a Gillette razor, whilst the face on my wrist (word play - face - dial) will be by Egard.   :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users