• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 2110 PM

Began reading Warrior's Rage by Col(Ret)Douglas Macgregor and so far I'm up to page 91.

Interesting tidbits:
Macgregor was no fan of General Fred Franks.
He was kind of so-so on 2ndACR commander L.D. Holder.
Sounds so far pretty positive on 1StID commander Thomas Rhame.
Very pleased with the Bradley and Abrams except for the Abrams' turbine engine.

#2 zaevor2000

zaevor2000

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 0922 AM

Good read.

The man has lots of axes to grind...he calls it the way he sees it and sure doesn't pull any punches!

Frank

#3 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 1708 PM

Good read.

The man has lots of axes to grind...he calls it the way he sees it and sure doesn't pull any punches!

Frank

Yeah, I'm getting that impression. Don't agree with everything he wrote because I believe his grievances sometimes affect his writing. I definitely do not agree with his somewhat casual feelings towards tube artillery.

#4 zaevor2000

zaevor2000

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 2100 PM

Yeah, I'm getting that impression. Don't agree with everything he wrote because I believe his grievances sometimes affect his writing. I definitely do not agree with his somewhat casual feelings towards tube artillery.

As an NCO in 2nd ACR from 85-88, I personally find it fascinating to get a glimpse into the mindset of the officers above me and the way they saw things...the constant time we spent in the field in Germany with the Border Mission on top of all of the rest led to quite a few of us being "burned out" and leaving when our tour was up...

Frank

#5 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 2109 PM

As an NCO in 2nd ACR from 85-88, I personally find it fascinating to get a glimpse into the mindset of the officers above me and the way they saw thingsFrank

Did you know any of the people in the book? Any personal thoughts on them?

#6 ScottyB

ScottyB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 1849 PM

I enjoyed the book and the author is very opinionated and has more than a few axes to grind. I have played the battle in Steel Panthers Two a bunch. Still a good read for an ex sailor like me!

Scott

#7 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 2224 PM

I'm a bit lazy of a reader. I found my copy(which I have not read yet) of Richard S. Lowry's The Gulf War Chronicles, and he lists the Cougar Sqn commander as Mike Kobbe.

#8 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 1641 PM

Just finished the book and I must say his cited source list has some interesting ones I did not know about like In the Wake of the Storm, First Division Foundation, 2000.

Quick observation on Macgregor and his other writings, he does tend to let the civilian leadership off the hook. He was IMO an enabler of OIF with his presentation to Rumsfeld and he does tend to see war in Iraq ina rather linear way. He makes it sound like marching on Baghdad in ODS and overthrowing Saddam would have not lead to internal fighting among the Iraqis.

He is convincing however in that several top commanders in ODS were less than aggressive.

Edited by bigfngun, 11 July 2010 - 1642 PM.