5 replies to this topic

#1 Catalan

Catalan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 1410 PM

Steven Zaloga is publishing a new book on the T-80 through Osprey... I though you'd all be interested.

http://www.amazon.co...C...3382&sr=1-2

#2 krishna_jj

krishna_jj

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 1500 PM

Here's a review :

i HAVE BOUGHT MOST OF ZALOGA'S EARLIER WORKS AND FOUND THEM TO BE EXCELLENT - ESP THE T-72 IN THE SAME SERIES .

HOWEVER - I FIND THIS A BIT BELOW PAR

FIRST - THE MARGINS ON THE LEFT INNER SIDE AND RIGHT INNER SIDE ARE REALLY CRAMPED - ONE HAS TO REALLY STRETCH THE BOOK TO READ .

NEXT THE HISTORY AND ORIGINS ARE WELL COVERED AND ZALOGA ATTEMPTS TO COVER THE VARIOUS VERSIONS T-80 B , BV,D & T-80 U - AND THIS IS WHERE THE BOOK FALLS FLAT

THERE IS NO SECTION CALLED INSIDE THE T-80 TANK UNLIKE THE T-72.

- THE BASIC TECHNICAL DESCRIPTIONS OF THE T-80 ARE COMPLETELY OMITTED - ALTHOUGH THERE ARE SECTIONS ON REACTIVE ARMOR , HISTORY OF THE DIESEL POWER PLANT (WHY NOT ON THE BASIC GAS TURBINE ??) , POTTED SECTIONS ON the Kobra missile AND the Refleks missile- NOTHING ON THE MAIN 125 mm GUN - LOOKS LIKE THE PUBLISHER COMPLETELY TRIMMED THE INTERESTING TECHNICAL BITS.

HOWEVER THE TEXT AND COLOR PHOTOS ARE GOOD - OBVIOUSLY ZALOGA HAS A HUGE AMOUNT TO TELL AND HAS VAST INFORMATION AND OSPREY STRUGGLED TO FIT IN THE BASICS IN 48 PAGES AND LIMITED IT MORE TO HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT RATHER THAN TECHNICAL.

THERE IS A BRIEF INFORMATION ON THE FAILURES IN CHECHYNA AND SOME GOOD ARTWORK BY TONY BRYAN

FEEL OSPREY WILL BE BETTER SERVED TO CHANGE THEIR PRINTING AND ALSO LOOK AT PUBLISHING THIS AS TWO PARTS - SECOND PART CAN ALSO COVER MORE OF THE TECHNICAL DESCRIPTIONS OMITTED AND FOREIGN OPERATORS LIKE PAKISTAN , CYPRUS AND KOREA AND ON THE BLACK EAGLE .

Edited by krishna_jj, 26 March 2009 - 0149 AM.

#3 jakec

jakec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 1727 PM

Does it cover production issues, initial service issue, units and formations assigned?

#4 krishna_jj

krishna_jj

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 0148 AM

PRODUCTION AND INITIAL SERVICE ISSUES - yes to an extent given the number of pages available

Combat experience - very sketchy

Technical Description : :angry:

#5 alejandro_

alejandro_

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 1309 PM

i HAVE BOUGHT MOST OF ZALOGA'S EARLIER WORKS AND FOUND THEM TO BE EXCELLENT - ESP THE T-72 IN THE SAME SERIES

I thought Zaloga books can vary. The ones on T-34, KV-1 and IS-2 are quite good. I cannot say the same about the one on the T-72, which I thought it was rather poor, with many myths.

Maybe he was not able to check much data which became available post-1991. At the end of the day, his T-72 book is from 1993. Much information has appeared since then.

#6 krishna_jj

krishna_jj

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 2229 PM

I thought Zaloga books can vary. The ones on T-34, KV-1 and IS-2 are quite good. I cannot say the same about the one on the T-72, which I thought it was rather poor, with many myths.

Maybe he was not able to check much data which became available post-1991. At the end of the day, his T-72 book is from 1993. Much information has appeared since then.

agree - the T-72 book was excellent read in 1995 when I got the book and there was a technical description of inside the tank - heard an updated version is in the works