• Please log in to reply
2076 replies to this topic

#2061 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,579 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 09 November 2018 - 0356 AM

But I hope the butterflies bloom from the caterpillars

#2062 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 0436 AM

48 tons on those wheeny tracks ? The do remind me of mine excavators tracks too, and those things are light and slow

My suggestion a few posts back was to drive up the beach only. Others suggested that it is for crossing sandbanks. Which kind of makes sense for shallow waters. Another vehicle type would be hovercraft for this, but those are really loud.

#2063 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 0511 AM

48 tons on those wheeny tracks ? The do remind me of mine excavators tracks too, and those things are light and slow

My suggestion a few posts back was to drive up the beach only. Others suggested that it is for crossing sandbanks. Which kind of makes sense for shallow waters. Another vehicle type would be hovercraft for this, but those are really loud.

true enough, but sandy beaches (or sandbanks) are really soft surfaces, so you would want to minimise ground pressure, not maximise it...

Edited by Inhapi, 09 November 2018 - 0626 AM.

#2064 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 0526 AM

It isn't 48 T. Do the maths - it will sink if that heavy. It was just one guess at the (very - due to inevitable asymmetry of loading etc.) upper bound before using straps like as shown becomes unsafe.We know it does not weight a lot not because of what is lifting it, but because of what it is.

Edited by KV7, 09 November 2018 - 0527 AM.

#2065 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,579 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 09 November 2018 - 0539 AM

It isn't 48 T. Do the maths - it will sink if that heavy. It was just one guess at the (very - due to inevitable asymmetry of loading etc.) upper bound before using straps like as shown becomes unsafe.We know it does not weight a lot not because of what is lifting it, but because of what it is.

I wrote of a max of 48 tons, that is 12 tons per each end of the strap: there are two straps: each going around the hull

#2066 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 0558 AM

I wrote of a max of 48 tons, that is 12 tons per each end of the strap: there are two straps: each going around the hull

Right, giving the absolute upper bound to do it safely, if you have the weight evenly distributed. In practice that is very hard to do.

What I am saying is that there is not enough hull volume for this to be near that weight and still be amphibious. It looks like it should displace about 18t or so to sit properly in the water.

Edited by KV7, 09 November 2018 - 0602 AM.

#2067 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,305 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 09 November 2018 - 0827 AM

But I hope the butterflies bloom from the caterpillars

How...Oriental. :P

#2068 Coldsteel

Coldsteel

Romanes eunt domus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. What were you expecting, Underwater Basket Weaving?

Posted 10 November 2018 - 0724 AM

SnBcvFx.jpg

I think we're here, sir. Just a bit south of where it says Australia.

That says "Austria", where the bloody hell did you learn to read? You've driven us right into the middle of the third Reich!

#2069 Mr King

Mr King

Putin's Personal Representative To Tanknet

• Members
  • 17,664 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 1900 PM

cOaourw.jpg

#2070 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 1905 PM

cOaourw.jpg

Challenger cosplaying as a Leopard 2. Or as  Abrams.  ^_^

Do you have more info? projected protection? When? Where? Who?

#2071 DogDodger

DogDodger

Cornre durg dealing ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Interests:tanks, driving, hockey

Posted 11 November 2018 - 2002 PM

Vickers Mk.4 MBT for export from the late 1970s. According to Foss and McKenzie, it was designed with Chobham armor, the 105 mm L7, Rolls-Royce CV12 TCA 1000-hp engine or the GM 12v71T with 915 hp. A "universal" turret with the 120 mm L11 (or Rheinmetall 120 mm or the L7) was exhibited in 1982, bringing the weight to 47 tons, and the vehicle was then dubbed Valiant (perhaps not the most inspiring of names considering the first Valiant tank...). The hull structure was aluminum while the turret structure was steel, both with Chobham overtop. Secondary torsion bars were used on road wheels 1, 2, and 6 in the original version, and on all wheel stations when the heavier universal turret was introduced. Ammo stowage included fifty-two 120 mm rifle, forty-four 120 mm smoothbore, or fifty-six 105 mm rounds. It FCS included a laser rangefinder, thermal sight, solid-state gun control system with 2-axis stab, and the TC could align the turret with any of his six periscopes by pushing buttons under the appropriate periscope.

#2072 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 17,664 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 0255 AM

Vickers Mk.4 MBT for export from the late 1970s. According to Foss and McKenzie, it was designed with Chobham armor, the 105 mm L7, Rolls-Royce CV12 TCA 1000-hp engine or the GM 12v71T with 915 hp. A "universal" turret with the 120 mm L11 (or Rheinmetall 120 mm or the L7) was exhibited in 1982, bringing the weight to 47 tons, and the vehicle was then dubbed Valiant (perhaps not the most inspiring of names considering the first Valiant tank...). The hull structure was aluminum while the turret structure was steel, both with Chobham overtop. Secondary torsion bars were used on road wheels 1, 2, and 6 in the original version, and on all wheel stations when the heavier universal turret was introduced. Ammo stowage included fifty-two 120 mm rifle, forty-four 120 mm smoothbore, or fifty-six 105 mm rounds. It FCS included a laser rangefinder, thermal sight, solid-state gun control system with 2-axis stab, and the TC could align the turret with any of his six periscopes by pushing buttons under the appropriate periscope.

Thank you DogDodger. 

#2073 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 17,664 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Kbf5UaY.jpg

#2074 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,561 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted Yesterday, 07:50 AM

Kbf5UaY.jpg

W O W.

I can hear from here WoT designers making a new German premium tank...

#2075 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,787 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 AM

It was anounced as a premium in 2011, but never saw the light of the computer screen.

#2076 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:54 PM

WT OTOH...

#2077 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,412 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 PM

It was anounced as a premium in 2011, but never saw the light of the computer screen.

of course not. Although plugging the parts together shouldn't be too hard. Models are there, damage values etc. :glare:

Although this one-off field kit-bash from 22nd PzDiv is quite famous.

WT OTOH...

Wasn't there also a one-off KV-2 regunned with a PaK40 7,5 cm AT cannon. That would be really mean.

For War Thunder a T-34 with the FlaKvierling turret from the wirbelwind would be really neat too. But no, they have to overrate soviet HE in wt. grumble grumble

Or how about making the british tanks actually playable. It is really silly that the churchill loses so much of its snails pace when climbing slopes.  Okay, I'll stop.

another oyekt:

1374522974_15-83.jpg

needs more slopes I think. ^_^

Edited by Panzermann, Yesterday, 05:36 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users