9 replies to this topic

#1 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 2154 PM

The 'puter at home has a DVD burner and has had it since Day 1. Yet Nero 5 cannot find my DVD burner, and thus I am forced to burn only CDs using Windows XP's native burning program. I got Nero 6 and no go. I installed Nero 8, still nothing.

Now, I'm using my office 'puter and plugged in an Acer burner (different from the one above). I installed Nero 7. Nero cannot detect my burner. Windows XP says I have DVD-RAM installed.

Frankly, I'm pissed. I wonder why Nero can't detect any of my DVD burners. Any ideas?

#2 EvanDP

EvanDP

Deus Ex Nukina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 2316 PM

Try deleting the drive in "Device Manager" and then rebooting, Windows will find the device and hopefully fix the problem. Have you had other problems with the burner before?

Also you can try "CDBurnerXP", it's freeware and works pretty good. The only thing that I don't like is verification takes a long time.

http://cdburnerxp.se/

#3 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 0404 AM

Try deleting the drive in "Device Manager" and then rebooting, Windows will find the device and hopefully fix the problem. Have you had other problems with the burner before?

No problems before. When the home 'puter was given to me years ago, it had IIRC no other burning software included with it. I had to use the Nero CD that came with another burner and that one told me it cannot recognize the burner. I figured that version of Nero was old, so I used another newer version, and that too can't see my burner. Really odd.

The office 'puter I tried out with Nero Essentials 7. Ok, it found the external burner, but it hangs. I found out that if I remove the DVD+/-RW or DVD+R, the burn button becomes enabled. Apparently, it rejects my DVD+/-RW / +R. I haven't tried it with a -R.

Also you can try "CDBurnerXP", it's freeware and works pretty good. The only thing that I don't like is verification takes a long time.

http://cdburnerxp.se/

Thanks! Will try it out.

#4 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 0818 AM

When I bought my new computer had the same problem, Vista strikes again! Nero came out with an update that solved the problem, check their website.

#5 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 1955 PM

I recall going to their website when I first came across that problem, and basically I was told I have to purchase their full, new version of Nero.

#6 JCT

JCT

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 1426 PM

A lot of the Nero software suites that come with a DVD drive or computer when you purchase it are not the full unlocked version. These copies only work with the specific model (or manufacturer?) that it came with. You have to buy a full version (or use the open source) to be able to use the software with any old drive.

The Nero Essentials sucks!

#7 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 0959 AM

CD Burner XP works, it recognized my home 'top's burner, and I was able to burn data DVD using it and the external DVD burner. Thanks! :)

#8 Rocky Davis

Rocky Davis

Old Broken Down Retired Tanker

• Members
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 1708 PM

My computer has Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 on it. I have successfully created data discs and music CDs in the past.

Not so much anymore . . . for some reason, I cannot get my E-Drive (CD Writer) to open and accept a blank disc. It's driving me nuts. I have things I want to back up, but each backup process starts with "Insert a blank disc . . ." and I can't get the GD thing to open.

It's not broken - it just refuses to open.

Any ideas out there?

#9 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 2122 PM

My computer has Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 on it. I have successfully created data discs and music CDs in the past.

Not so much anymore . . . for some reason, I cannot get my E-Drive (CD Writer) to open and accept a blank disc. It's driving me nuts. I have things I want to back up, but each backup process starts with "Insert a blank disc . . ." and I can't get the GD thing to open.

Any ideas out there?

Cheap, and fairly simple to replace. It is broken, you just don't know it yet. :P

#10 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 2137 PM

Any ideas out there?

There should be a small hole on the front, take a paper clip and see if you can get it to open that way. Then check all your connections .