• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,955 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1441 PM

Can anyone identify the dates of the uniforms?  Particularly the large peaked caps with white tops of the gunners?  They definitely do not seem 'at war' 1940.

They look like naval personnel in the film in the OP to me. considering they are shooting a QF 2 pdr. on that tracked vehicle, it would have made sense to utilize a RN gun crew already trained in its use.

I'm pretty sure it's a 1 pounder.

#22 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1749 PM

I think they're Royal Marines.

#23 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,032 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 09 June 2019 - 1809 PM

Can anyone identify the dates of the uniforms?  Particularly the large peaked caps with white tops of the gunners?  They definitely do not seem 'at war' 1940.

They look like naval personnel in the film in the OP to me. considering they are shooting a QF 2 pdr. on that tracked vehicle, it would have made sense to utilize a RN gun crew already trained in its use.

I'm pretty sure it's a 1 pounder.

I would have to agree as the army only adopted 2pdr AA pom poms on elaborate two gun naval mountings, and that was in 1936, at the same meeting it was decided to obtain 40mm Bofors.

The one pdr was 37mm, but on wiki there is a very short reference, just the name really, of a QF 1.5pdr British AA gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users