Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,148 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 1223 PM

Here we go again;

http://www.breitbart...eet-conference/

this pretty much does it for Jeb. The last thing the world needs right now is a POTUS who will encourage the Iranians to wipe Israel off the map.

Baker is like herpes; he just will not go away.

#82 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 1433 PM

He already had plenty of folks writing him off after he named Wolfowitz one of his advisors.

#83 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 2059 PM

Here we go again;

http://www.breitbart...eet-conference/

this pretty much does it for Jeb. The last thing the world needs right now is a POTUS who will encourage the Iranians to wipe Israel off the map.

Baker is like herpes; he just will not go away.

With what?!? The atomic bomb they've been six months away from developing since the first Reagan admin? Or are they planning a lease with the option to buy of any number of Israel's several hundred nukular warheads?

Fuck me. No more Bushes as a matter of principle. Hell, no more Texas Preznits of any political flavor (cough, LBJ, cough).

Jeb Arbusto already made noises about, just maybe, the need to raise taxes. Just. Go. Away.

#84 Soren Ras

Soren Ras

Molehill Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 0342 AM

The idea that in a republic of 320 million people, founded in a rebellion against a monarchy and conceived as a republic of free and equal citizens, the same family should supply three leaders within a span of 25 years, is so insanely offensive that if for no other reason, Jeb Bush should have the basic decency to stay out of it.

We can add the Clintons to the roster of unseemly aristocratic impulses that everyone, right or left, should instinctively recoil from.

Jeb's father and the brother strike me as fundamentally decent men, even if both were hardly the best of what America should be able to produce in terms of leaders. It is about time to see if Jeb has that same basic decency, or if his sense of ego and his own indispensability is grown too large. If you are are Bush or a Clinton, a decision to run for President in 2016 should be an automatic disqualification.

--

Soren

#85 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,272 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 0407 AM

Well, arguably any regulations limiting the choice of the people to vote and run for office - including term limits - are counter to democratic values. That said, with the established track record of the respective clans, if I was an American having a choice between another Clinton and another Bush in 2016, I'd consider myself so screwed ...

#86 Soren Ras

Soren Ras

Molehill Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 0554 AM

That is not the sort of thing you combat with laws and regulations!

There are more than enough of those without adding to the problem.

I'd rather consider the matter a fundamental test of the civic virtues of the American electorate.  The problem isn't that there are people who run who ought not to, the problem is if they are actually pushed forward to be the only candidates the people have available to vote for.  By rights, both Jeb and Hillary should be laughed out of every room they enter the moment they announce their candidature. And no one with an ounce of respect for democracy ought to assist them in becoming the next inheritor of the throne.

And I fully agree, a choice between Hillary and Jeb would be enough to drive a man to drink. And worse.

--

Soren

#87 LT Ducky

LT Ducky

Increasiing my carbon footprint while destroying the environment

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 0714 AM

The idea that in a republic of 320 million people, founded in a rebellion against a monarchy and conceived as a republic of free and equal citizens, the same family should supply three leaders within a span of 25 years, is so insanely offensive that if for no other reason, Jeb Bush should have the basic decency to stay out of it.

We can add the Clintons to the roster of unseemly aristocratic impulses that everyone, right or left, should instinctively recoil from.

Jeb's father and the brother strike me as fundamentally decent men, even if both were hardly the best of what America should be able to produce in terms of leaders. It is about time to see if Jeb has that same basic decency, or if his sense of ego and his own indispensability is grown too large. If you are are Bush or a Clinton, a decision to run for President in 2016 should be an automatic disqualification.

--

Soren

It says a lot (and not anything good) when an unknown guy from Denmark posts a very true statement on an obscure internet military discussion forum that the 'smartest people' in United States political 'leadership' positions just do not understand.

Thanks, Soren

#88 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,444 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 0800 AM

And DK is a Monarchy. ;)

I think this is a sign that the politicians learned to game the system. They collect favours, compromitting stuff on enemies and make themselves indispensable for their party and build a powerbase with people dependant upon them. In the end the voter has not much say who is elected. The voter has only a small preselected choice. And the preselection is through politics within the political parties and has thus rarely anything to do with being the best for the office, but rather who is the best in gaming the party's power structure.

Seems pretty similar today in all the so called western democracies, that are well established.

As Chruchill is said to have said: The worst form of government except all the others invented so far.

#89 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 0842 AM

Like all things, needs to be cleaned out and baselined periodically.  Imagine Windows running for 225+ yrs....

Same thing.  Wipe it, fresh install of the OS.  S/F.....Ken M

#90 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,148 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1037 AM

Only a fascist thug would want to return to a condition where the Constitution means what it says it means.

#91 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1050 AM

Then I stand guilty as charged. 

Let the manlings with the soft hands come and try their luck.  S/F....Ken M

#92 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1234 PM

--

Soren

It says a lot (and not anything good) when an unknown guy from Denmark posts a very true statement on an obscure internet military discussion forum that the 'smartest people' in United States political 'leadership' positions just do not understand.

Thanks, Soren

No kidding. He's solid in damn near everything he posts, and has a better grasp than most Murricans.

I propose a trade for twelve liberals, a relief pitcher and a player to be named later.

#93 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1430 PM

--

Soren

This cuts both ways.

clintonControversyMcCall.jpg

zzo1.png

Service Equals Citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

4ed0d3a963c7210e407e02c068d50a81.jpg

Edited by X-Files, 20 March 2015 - 1431 PM.

#94 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1433 PM

--

Soren

Thanks, Soren

No kidding. He's solid in damn near everything he posts, and has a better grasp than most Murricans.

I propose a trade for twelve liberals, a relief pitcher and a player to be named later.

+1

#95 mnm

mnm

Plague doctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1618 PM

Only a fascist thug would want to return to a condition where the Constitution means what it says it means.

Before any Amendments.

#96 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1912 PM

Before any Amendments.

Well, the first 10 were part of the original agreement so they would need to stay.

#97 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 1921 PM

Before any Amendments.

:blink:

There's kind of... some important ones you'd suddenly be removing.  Almost scared to ask which ones are so bad.

#98 mnm

mnm

Plague doctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 2002 PM

Oh, nothing against, I meant the original text before need for Amendments was felt. Jeff had already fired a shot across my bow ;)

#99 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 2120 PM

http://www.tank-net....ic=38089&page=5

Before any Amendments.

:blink:

There's kind of... some important ones you'd suddenly be removing.  Almost scared to ask which ones are so bad.

The current incumbent would haply do away with the 22nd by executive action if he could get away with it.

#100 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 2139 PM

--

Soren

Thanks, Soren

Well he does own a copy of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, And The Declaration of Independence.  ^_^