#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 2254 PM

From today's DoD contract awards:

Engility Corp., Andover, Massachusetts, has been awarded a $58,486,192 cost-plus-fixed-fee contract for research and development. This contract provides for the enhancement of airman combat survivability by enabling forces to counter optical hazards and threats while exploiting optical systems. The goal of the research is to further scientific knowledge of optical radiation to protect against and exploit physical, physiological, psychological, and other effects of optical radiation. Work will be performed primarily at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and is expected to be complete by April 30, 2025. This award is the result of a competitive acquisition and two offers were received. Fiscal 2019 research, development, test and evaluation funds in the amount of $5,997,330 are being obligated at the time of award. Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Research Site, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is the contracting activity (FA8650-19-C-6024).

So exactly what is meant by "optical radiation"? Something to do with Infrared?

#2 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 2331 PM

Blinding laser pointers maybe.

I recall a few cases of US airmen operating in Okinawa getting pointed at by lasers.

US airmen also got pointed at by lasers by the Chinese at Djibouti. Among other cases in dealing with lasers.
https://www.google.c...p/idUSKBN1I429M

#3 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 0606 AM

Note also the hysterical headlines from the last Russian ship passing through the English Channel - it was claimed it had an optical device that could induce nausea and vomiting, presumably strobing effects of some kind if true.

#4 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 1248 PM

I think you will find this interesting. I certainly did.

#5 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 1949 PM

Laser hazards are widely known and defenses/PPE have been issued since forever, both for ours and possible enemy use.  Most protection is contingent on wavelength, but fortunately, hardware/tech issues limit commonly viable wavelengths.  S/F....Ken M

#6 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 2025 PM

Note also the hysterical headlines from the last Russian ship passing through the English Channel - it was claimed it had an optical device that could induce nausea and vomiting, presumably strobing effects of some kind if true.

I think such things have been worked on for a while now

#7 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 2236 PM

Perhaps utilize something like a DIRCM system to automatically reply in kind...

Edited by Burncycle360, 03 May 2019 - 2237 PM.