#123 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0225 AM

Must be known to the West.

DYHhCijW4AADmJt.jpg

From http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/25/world/us-and-uzbeks-agree-on-chemical-arms-plant-cleanup.html "U.S. and Uzbeks Agree on Chemical Arms Plant Cleanup

By JUDITH MILLERMAY 25, 1999"

#124 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0228 AM

DYGO3X7WAAAU0vt.jpg

#125 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0254 AM

Yes, it made it very quick for them to respond. Very thoughtful of the FSB to use a nerve agent they thought nobody could detect right on Porton Downs front doorstep. Thoughtful, or the FSB is plumbing the depths of mensa grade material and moved onto knuckle draggers.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 13 March 2018 - 0257 AM.

#126 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0256 AM

So, if, for arguments sake, we accept that the Russians used nerve agent against a civilian target in a civilian area in the UK in peacetime, what are the odds they would refrain from doing so against military targets on battlefields in wartime?

Well I think you noted this last year, when Russia claimed to have destroyed the last of its chemical weapon's stocks, and you said how can we possibly know its true? And quite clearly, we didnt.

One only has to look at the orbat of NBC units in the Russia Army today and reflect its an unusually heavy amount of formations. I know full well nuclear weapons are still an issue, but it does cause one to reflect in light of what happened if there is another explanation. That they have not disposed of their newer chemical stocks at all. Im not aware of any serious efforts at verification.

#127 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0304 AM

Yes, it made it very quick for them to respond. Very thoughtful of the FSB to use a nerve agent they thought nobody could detect right on Porton Downs front doorstep. Thoughtful, or the FSB is plumbing the depths of mensa grade material and moved onto knuckle draggers.

Or the idea was for it to be detected. Pour encourager les autres. While maintaining plausible deniability like in Litvinenko case as that is also not proven beyond any doubt (just ask here ;)). Then again some people would not believe even if Putin admitted responsibility in a statement co-signed by head of FSB ;)

#128 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0308 AM

Yet more terrain in Salisbury fenced off. Now its Sainsbury's car park, which points to a fairly significant contamination problem, if people have been tracking this shit in through the supermarket.

https://www.spirefm....n-cordoned-off/

A small village outside Salisbury had a house cordoned off and a car recovered. Speculation on my part, but possibly belonging the Bobby that was poisoned.

https://www.spirefm....-in-winterslow/

I guess to bear in mind, the crime scene here is potentially huge. It might be appropriate to compare it to the Lockerbie inquiry by the time its concluded.

So, they have now used radiological and chemical weapons to assassinate in the UK, in the public domain. One would think the usual diplomatic tit for tat and sternly worded letters are a bit banal of a response.

One would hope. Rex Tillerson has come out and said he believes it.

http://www.dailymail...ame-Russia.html

Macron also seems in. There also seems some suggestion we may just invoke a NATO article 5.

http://www.firstpost...nt-4387651.html

What could NATO do? Well we could fairly easily stop Russian ships supplying Syria. And at that point, the Russian war effort there grinds to a halt, because they dont have enough transport aircraft to supply it. Im not saying that is what will happen. It just illustrates, NATO involvement might end up being more significant than pure symbolism.

#129 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0309 AM

Or the idea was for it to be detected. Pour encourager les autres. While maintaining plausible deniability like in Litvinenko case as that is also not proven beyond any doubt (just ask here ;)). Then again some people would not believe even if Putin admitted responsibility in a statement co-signed by head of FSB ;)

Yes, sadly true is that. The sun shines out the Poisonous Dwarfs bum, and they are scared of not seeing another sunrise I guess.

#130 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0314 AM

Stuart A former Russian spy and his daughter were poisoned by a military-grade nerve agent of a type developed by Russia, Theresa May has told MPs.

I’m skippy with that, but one problem is causing me doubt.  If Putin did it, then why aren’t they dead?   If they got a dose of the Russian stuff, they’re dead.   You know it.  I know it.  But they’re not dead.  Why?  Because they didn't get attacked with high quality nerve agent.

Sad to say, they might already be dead. They just haven't located any family that can authorize turning the machines off. After all, they do seem to have a habit of dying early in this family.

To put it in perspective, I gather the nerve agent to kill Jing Jong Un's brother was VX. The Novichok series of weapons is something like 8 times more powerful than that. That it was able to nearly kill a policeman 24 hours after the Skripals were hospitalized demonstrates how powerful it is.

So sad to say, the prognosis is exceedingly poor.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 13 March 2018 - 0315 AM.

#131 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0321 AM

Just reading the Wikipedia article and I have to say that it sounds like fucking horrible stuff. Up to 8 times as toxic as VX apparently and has been designed to defeat standard MOPP gear. The people who were contaminated with it are extremely lucky to be alive, I'd say.

There was much derision on the Aussie media yesterday when somebody suggested wiping down potentially contaminated items like keys with baby wipes but that's actually quite good advice.

#132 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0322 AM

And TBH, whether they die or not is secondary goal. Whoever did this, primary goal was to spread fear, same as with Litvinenko - highly unusual method, protracted suffering, in this case bagging family in the deal... Guess who gets the biggest profit of spreading fear among ex secret squirrels working with the West.

#133 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0326 AM

Blatant aggression. 

Typical for criminal state not to be named, but starts with R.

This also will backfire badly.

#134 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0326 AM

Let's not forget the infamous Bulgarian Umbrella too.

umbrella_gun_diagram.jpg

#135 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0343 AM

I was watching RT last night (well someone had to do it) and they seemed to be stunned. About the only response they had was pointing to British colonial evils in Kenya and elsewhere, and finding some lefty university lecurer nobody had ever heard of that the entire world has Novichok. Which even were it true, kind of avoids the hard question whom would benefit by fucking up relations between Britain and Russia.

No, this comes down to ego, and showing Presidential power. He wanted to show off to Russia, look how powerful I am, I can kill in Britain and get away with it. The obvious fly (or polonium) in the soup is that he clearly didnt think he couldn't get away with it. Which kind of shows how arrogant the little shit has now become. Arrogant and dangerous.

In other news, we have New Zealand coming out in support. I for one will be going and buying some New Zealand Lamb. :)

https://www.stuff.co...-to-New-Zealand

#136 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0344 AM

Oh and the diggers. Good on you mate.

http://www.watoday.c...313-p4z47j.html

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 13 March 2018 - 0345 AM.

#137 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,144 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0350 AM

Well that was a nice world. I'm going to glug my good booze. Look forward to the nuclear exchange.

ETA:- Or not. Yet more empty British emptiness. Tres empty.

Edited by Simon Tan, 13 March 2018 - 0350 AM.

#138 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0413 AM

And once again, someone completely misreads the British mindset. I think May will go for broke. Why? Simply because she has nothing left to lose. She is a lame duck government, she knows that. She knows the Americans dont give a fuck, the Europeans laugh at us behind our backs, that everyone is trying to figure out a way to stab us in the back. So if you are her, and you have the opportunity to go large against a state that has exceptionally limited means of responding, why not? After all, it worked for Mrs Thatcher.

No, that doesnt mean we are going to be unloading our Trident stockpile on Putins Dacha's. It means that we will now do everything we can to undermine Putin's regime via indirect methods. And before anyone laughs at that, lets not forget how many of Europes dictators were defeated by exactly that method.

For starters, we can invite the Ukrainian special forces to the Tiptoe Club at Hereford, and strongly encourage them to launch cross border raids. And when they start stepping up in Ukraine, we start offloading antitank missiles and air defence missile in Ukraine. What the hell, the Americans are already doing so. Lets join the club. And we can target Putins pals bank accounts in the UK, start restricting their movements by putting interpol warrants out on them. And when, finally, they figure out he doesnt have their best interests at heart, maybe they can organize their own maidan.

Putin is fucked. Its just going to take a while is all.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 13 March 2018 - 0416 AM.

#139 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0420 AM

Do you have any missiles to offload?
In any case we will likely see all those anti-EU and anti-NATO parties in EU (which seem to have certain relationship with Russia more often than not - and with UKIP) to step up to hinder any EU countries support, lukewarm it may be.

#140 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0427 AM

And this is exactly the kind of permissive world weary cynicism I despair of. And it has if anything enabled Putin to do what he does. 'Its too hard, lets not do anything' the argument goes. So we havent, and now we have nerve agent attacks on British streets. Its precisely the kind of ambivalence and cynicism that led up to WW2.

Yes, the UK has problems with defence. We know that. It remains capable of defending itself  at all levels of threat, and a bit beyond that.  And one might add, if someone wanted the UK to continue to underfund its armed forces, this was not the way to inspire it. Gavin Williamson is almost certain to get his 3 percent now, or the Government will implode.

Putin does this not because he is strong, its because he is weak and wants to project power the only way he can. Well that's fine. No reason we cannot play by the same big boys rules he plays by is there?

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 13 March 2018 - 0427 AM.