29 replies to this topic

#21 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 1651 PM

I hadn't heard of Ypop, but good to know. I'm not interested in just forwarding email. For the $20, I'm still happy to have my sanity back. Good tip though.

Understood. I still get a bit of e-mail through Yahoo, so I just forward it all to Gmail.

YPOPs is pretty cool, and free: http://ypopsemail.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPOPs!

#22 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

Velkomin heim Tankur-netters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 1627 PM

Murph, how is Lupe liking and managing with the Ubuntu??? Is it a hard system to figure out and use? I've only ever seen and had Windows OS's so haven't a clue about different OS's and their esktops. (Like will I be too stoopid to be able use it? :D )

Am just wondering because I'm looking at Linux OS's as an alternative and resolution to my situations.

If I download an OS I don't know about or how to partition etc to be able to install etc Installing Windows has always auto done those tasks itself.

Edited by Dame Karmen, 09 October 2010 - 1922 PM.

#23 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 2144 PM

Lupe likes it, but wants windows back just because it is what she is used to using. The kids don't care, so for Christmas, Lupe gets a new laptop with a ram upgrade to 6 gb, and Win 7 Pro installed. Also Office 2007. I upgraded the laptop to the latest Ubuntu, and it is great! Really secure, and Open Office works just so well. I am probably going to give Sarah the old Laptop so that she has a computer as well. They are really starting the kids early in computers, Victoria has to turn in work in Power point, and Word regularly.

#24 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 1934 PM

Hey Thanks Murph. Thought you'd fallen off the edge of the world :D also I'm sorry I misspelled Lupe's name ... please note I corrected it in my post! :)

I like the Windows for same reasons too and would prefer that but can't afford to purchase upgrades or new, hence my looking to Linux based as its free and supported for updates and stuff. I did burn a FEW iso's to disk that I downloaded of Ubuntu, but not one what I burned works, so am still at square one. Still interested in Linux based though, because its free and in my budget :D

Thanks for answering. Hope all is well your end, and I'm sure Lupe and the kids will love the computers ;)

#25 Phalanx

Phalanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 0101 AM

Huh, odd that the burned disks aren't working for you. Are you downloading Ubuntu from the official site? If all else fails, you can request an official CD (free of charge, I believe, but they do encourage a donation) from here: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Also, what are the specs on your computer? Newer versions are a bit more demanding than older versions (Ubuntu 8, 7 and earlier will run on very low spec computers, but 9 and 10 require something a bit more modern)

Once you get to the point of installation, it's really no more difficult than Windows. Current versions of Ubuntu will do all of the partitioning for you. Like Windows, you just set your location and other regional preferences, and away you go.

As far as use goes, for day to day use it's quite easy. Some aspects do take a bit of getting used to (being sure to properly mount and unmount drives to avoid data loss, for example), but it's not a huge deal. Beyond that there are plenty of helpful sites for new Ubuntu users where you can ask questions and get help from longtime users (linuxquestions.org is where I go).

#26 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 0257 AM

Wow. Thank you Phalanx, I'm thinking maybe the Ubuntu version (newest) is too much Ubuntu for my older smaller HD then and that THAT'S the problem for me, not about me doing something wrong in the burning or installing it after all :D

I need a version that can still get drivers and updates won't I? and older versions are no longer supported? or won't be for much longer?

I'll visit the Ubuntu sites and browse the versions but maybe you can recommend the best version for my hard drive I'm trying to install to???? I may have to order a disk mailed to me as I'm currently stuck trying to run on a new partial XP install and no programs downloaded or installed, nor hardware other than my CDrom working. I basically have a computer and can get online with it and thats about it (thank goodness I have THAT much!) I don't have the programs and functions anymore to be able to burn an iso image to disk!

so here is the info for my Seagate HD:

http://www.seagate.c...RD&locale=en-US

Edited by Dame Karmen, 10 October 2010 - 0258 AM.

#27 Phalanx

Phalanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 1148 AM

Your HD is fine. Even the newest version only requires 15GB of space, and it's certainly fast enough. RAM would be the next culprit since the newer versions require at least a gig of RAM. Older versions will run on as little as 256MB. Ubuntu 8.04, the next one down that I'd recommend if you can't run 10.04, requires 384MB or better.

As far as support... Ubuntu 10.04 will be supported until 2013, older versions until sometime in 2011 (April or June depending on release).

Also, for burning, try InfraRecorder. It's pretty basic, but it's free, and seems to be well liked.

Edited by Phalanx, 10 October 2010 - 1151 AM.

#28 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 1830 PM

I looked in "My System Information" and it shows 640MG RAM. So looks like my HD should not be the problem.

At least ONE of the 4 or 5 Ubuntu disks I "burned" actually starts the install procedure, then craps out on me. I forget where and don't know how it crashes or stops being able to proceed but will maybe try again and note down the info. I try by booting from CD and installing from it. (It doesn't work to be able to test run it without installing, at all!)

I'll also order a Ubuntu disk at the end of the month when I should be able to shoot them some money if their expected donations are low enough. Mean while, a friend in my old town a couple of hours from here is sending me some stuff to try installing. That should be here Tues (Monday a holiday for Thanksgiving)

I'll get functional again eventually :D Thanks a lot for your time and input ;)

Edited by Dame Karmen, 10 October 2010 - 1831 PM.

#29 Phalanx

Phalanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 0200 AM

Here's the ISO file for Ubuntu 8.04. It may run a little better on your system if you still want to give Ubuntu a shot.

#30 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 0252 AM

Here's the ISO file for Ubuntu 8.04. It may run a little better on your system if you still want to give Ubuntu a shot.

Thanks yet again. When I can spring for some more disks again I'll try that.