#1582 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 1159 AM

England's MiG in action:

This plane belongs in the Imperial War Museum.

Somewhat surprised the Pakistanis did not purchase them instead of their Mirage IIIs, based on their commonwealth membership.

#1583 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 2039 PM

he Boomerang is often referred to as Australia's 'panic fighter', its development having been triggered by the Japanese advance in the Pacific. The day after two Royal Navy battle ships were sunk by Japanese aircraft off the coast of Malaysia in early 1942, the decision was made to produce an indigeonus fighter at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation facility at Fisherman's Bend, Melbourne. Just 16 weeks and three days later, the first Boomerang took to the air. This remarkable feat was achieved by using as many existing assemblies as possible.

The Pratt & Whitney R.1830 twin Wasp radial engine (as used in the DC-3) was already in production in Australia for the local production of Bristol Beaufort bombers. The Wirraway advanced trainer, effectively a license built and modified variant of the North American NA-16, was already under series production by C.A.C., and from this aircraft, the Boomerang borrowed the centre-section, undercarriage, tail group and much of the cockpit equipment. The plywood and aluminium covered steel tube fuselage was entirely new.

This video was shot at Temora in NSW, Australia.

Video by: Anthony Portelli, an Historical Aviation Film Unit Media Partner

#1584 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 1234 PM

#1585 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,994 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 0303 AM

England's MiG in action:

Somewhat surprised the Pakistanis did not purchase them instead of their Mirage IIIs, based on their commonwealth membership.

Short legs. It was one of the most capable aircraft in the world for its era, with 30 minutes of fuel.

It did help when they had decent middair refueling capacity. But arguably it was compromised by the refusal of the Air Ministry to throw money at it to develop it further. As others have pointed out, there is an unpleasent feature of Britain that, having achieved something worldbeating, we rest on our laurels and let everyone else catch up and exceed our efforts. Lightning is a classic example.

#1586 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 0406 AM

England's MiG in action:

Short legs. It was one of the most capable aircraft in the world for its era, with 30 minutes of fuel.

It did help when they had decent middair refueling capacity. But arguably it was compromised by the refusal of the Air Ministry to throw money at it to develop it further. As others have pointed out, there is an unpleasent feature of Britain that, having achieved something worldbeating, we rest on our laurels and let everyone else catch up and exceed our efforts. Lightning is a classic example.

Future Battle of Britain, part 2.

#1587 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 58,994 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 0844 AM

It was part of a plan to defend British airspace long enough to get the V Bombers off. As it was anticipated any war with the USSR would be swiftly nuclear, they developed this, and the Bloodhound Sam missile (which they envisaged building a nuclear tipped version of), to defend the V Bomber bases against air attack. The longevity of it was destinctly secondary to getting on station quickly enough to use its missiles.  So it was Battle of Britain long enough to just get the  V Bombers on the way to Russia, and then it didnt matter much anymore. Of course, all that predated the basing of substantial numbers of IRBM's.

It was a great aircraft for all that, just really needed a newer version with longer legs and a better radar.

Happily there are a few in running order, unfortunately the spoilsport CAA wont give them a licence to fly.

#1588 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 2130 PM

The first time I saw a picture of a Lightning was on a cereal box, advertising a toy.  It was in the mid-60s, and to my young American eyes, just looked plain weird.

Edited by shep854, 23 March 2020 - 2130 PM.

#1589 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 0320 AM

Still does.

#1590 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 58,994 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 0401 AM

The first time I saw a picture of a Lightning was on a cereal box, advertising a toy.  It was in the mid-60s, and to my young American eyes, just looked plain weird.

I had a matchbox one as a kid, played with it incessantly. It has a strange 1950's aethetic. If you think that is strange you should look at some of the concept drawings from companies like Fairey or Blackburn from the same era. They look like something out of Dan Dare or Buck Rogers.

I was watching an interesting video where they interviewed a Lightning pilot and he was talking about semi regularly going above 50000 feet. The powers that be pointed out that if they had any kind of engine failure at that altitude they would lose pressurization and their blood would start to boil if they were not wearing a pressure suit.

#1591 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 0847 AM

Stuart, you are so right about early jet designs.  Like the '30s with piston power, the '50s was a time of testing (and eliminating) many fanciful concepts.

In my courier job, I've delivered to a research facility in Huntsville, where the building is decorated with early spacecraft concepts.  They were pure guesswork, and quickly eliminated, but it's like a trip back to my childhood

Edited by shep854, 24 March 2020 - 0851 AM.

#1592 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,391 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 0757 AM

b1b.jpg

#1593 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 1410 PM

I think I remember the Lightning Matchbox, which may have come with its own transporter.

There was as much entertainment back then in staring at them in the dealer case, as there was in owning them.

#1594 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 33,126 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 1656 PM

E-3-Sentry-F-22-Raptor-05-21-2020.png

#1595 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 33,126 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 1410 PM

f-22-f-35a-06-01-2020.png

I've learned to appreciate the beauty of the F-22. But from a lot of angles, the F-35 still looks like that short, squat, thick-necked gal still in the bar at closing time.

#1596 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 1734 PM

Like the Phantom, it eventually grows on you.

#1597 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 1820 PM

Beer goggles.

#1598 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 0457 AM

Zumwalt video

https://youtu.be/gchmI5ede5Y

Edited by MiloMorai, 03 June 2020 - 0458 AM.

#1599 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 1917 PM

Zumwalt video

I was disappointed that there was no actual video of the ship in truly rough seas.

#1600 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 2209 PM

Zumwalt video

I was disappointed that there was no actual video of the ship in truly rough seas.

As was I.

Reply to this topic