Thought this deserved its own thread.
As I've mentioned elsewhere I'm a bit concerned with where some aspects of the game are and how none of them were addressed in this first patch since CB started. Below are the big issues for me:
- Basically no ship balance at all. Tier is largely irrelevant at this point in many lines. There's no incentive to push up to higher tiers given how bad some lines are. Fundamental aspects of tier progression (more hps, more dmg, come combination thereof, etc.) are completely missing from some lines. Just what in the world is going on with current tech tree layout and progression?
- Carrier interplay is nonexistent. To win in the air war against another carrier all that matters now is tier difference. You can load up all the mods and have all the captain perks and it still won't matter. If you're a tier or more lower you will lose every... single... time. That's not fun. That's really bad design.
- I know less about this area but have seen others mention it several times and sunday just commented about it in the other thread. I'll quote him.
I find the lack of implementation of an armour model at this late stage, beta, more worrisome. Yesterday was divisioning with other guys in a Myoko (Tier VIII IJN CA), and found an enemy Yamato, at close range, going out of a strait. Well, it seemed almost all the AP shells that landed in the Yamato penetrated. Range was not large, between 5 and 10km but, still...
- Given current game mechanics there's a distinct disadvantage to having a ship with fewer turrets and more guns per turrets (IOW, almost all high tier BBs). This, at least, is an easy fix. Take sequential fire, which right now is worthless, and change it so that you fire with one gun per turret. Thus a ship doesn't have to waste 1/3 of its firepower on a ranging shot. The fix is easy... but will devs catch on to it?
- The Captain skill tree is... boring. For many ship types there's only one viable option per tier (for some, there isn't even that!). There's no fun when there's no choice (and having real choice helps generate commentary on the game as folks look into all sorts of options, combinations, etc.).
- We have already seen mods which take one of the very few aspects of skill in this game, gunnery, out of the equation. The best suggestion I've seen for this is to get rid of all aspects of the game that compute lead on enemy. Thus, torps from planes and destroyers/cruisers would all have to be manually aimed. The hope is you could then remove whatever is in the game that's allowing these mods to get this information (also remove time of flight info from ALT if you have to). In doing this you now also add something many players have been begging for: a way to showcase skill in a game that's much simpler than WoT.
I was also reading several threads over on the WoWs wotlabs subforum.
There's one listed thread for issues but most of them have the same flow of content. What concerns me from reading those various threads is commentary from folks who have been testing this game for a while and seen little done to address some of the issues above and moves to make the game even simpler. What little we've seen from devs is that CB will be short with only cosmetic changes. That's a bit worrisome if true.
So... everyone's thoughts, concerns, etc.?