• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 06 October 2017 - 0642 AM

Hello,

I guess the topic might have been beaten to death : troubles in the development of the F 35.

I came via a friend upon this blog post:

http://nationalinter...s-stumble-22589

The blog-post seems heavily biased against the F 35 and some issues mentioned are probably normal in the development cycle of a new high tech weapon, but i wonder: some problems seem to be quite fundamental to me...

any thoughts ?

Inhapi

#2 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,577 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 0949 AM

IMO the design was compromised by the Marine's requirements and the Marines should have been dropped from the program. That would have drastically improved the kinematics of the design. But the cost overruns are primarily software driven as far as I can tell, and that just comes from asking for too much. Total fusion of the ESM, IR, and radar systems is just not going to come cheap if you want it all to work reliably. The biggest falasy of the program was that it was sold as a 'light' version of F-22: it actually was far more ambitious in terms of sensors and software and is a leap ahead/Rumsfeld type system. In fact I think it is about the only program to survive his failed paradigm.

#3 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 1031 AM

IMO the design was compromised by the Marine's requirements and the Marines should have been dropped from the program. That would have drastically improved the kinematics of the design.

Purely this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users