228 replies to this topic

#41 patteng

patteng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0425 AM

I do not know King, having not met him nor conversed with him directly, thus I feel I have not earned full privileges to comment on him. However, what I have seen of the man through his posts on this (Grate) site, and from what others have shared of their experiences with him, I felt respect for him and his opinions, and am honored to have known him through this community. To learn of his passing has brought on a great sadness, and a feeling of personal loss. It is strange that though so many of you are strangers here, I can experience a bond through our common interests that I cannot relate to even close friends. Thus I share your feelings that I hope King rests in peace, and I will truly miss him.

P.S. These forums only give you a small window onto a man. How do you think King would like to be remembered?

#42 Dame Karmen

Dame Karmen

Velkomin heim Tankur-netters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, people, stuff of life in general --- past, present and future!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0454 AM

RIP.

They say the measure of someone is the size of the hole they leave when they're gone. If that's the case, then there's going to be a huge one to fill in here, and in Alaska.

That's so true.

I keep coming back in here, with others who knew King and cared about him, to share in this, I feel so alone at home with this, and it's natural to gravitate to the TN family who is feeling this too. Missing King, knowing there will be no more posts from him. No more emails. No more calls. No more visits. It's amazing how attached people can become.

My first meeting and exchange with King was him getting me into trouble by getting me yapping, a no no which I didn't know, but he did :D, in the Who am I intro's thread and moderator came down on me to take my conversing to PM or another thread :D Then someone went running to the staff room "Who claims her .... " about me :D What a devilish White Haired Furry Big Bear he was. And what a good close friend he became in time. He's given me hell. You all know how direct and straight shooting he is. No BS. No nastiness. Just straight and honest shooting. And he's always been lovingly kind and respectful to me, for quite some time now.

It's very weird that there will be no more emails. No more calls. No more visits. No more laughing in stitches. No more caring loving friend to whinge back and forth with about health issues, other issues. No more hilarious emails and jokes, comments, coming from him. No more push push pushing on me and me pushing back :D

King definately had a big loving, generous and laughing heart and I consider myself really lucky to have had him choose to be my friend (as frustrating as that's been for him at times :D ) His passing on has definately left a very big hole in my life that only he could fill with his big warm affectionate heart and humor. And thats the simple truth.

His mind, so full of knowledge and information. His personality so full of zany fun. Yes, I think it's very cool he chose me for a friend. I really wish I could have been a better friend and hostess to him when he came visiting me. But he knows and understands.

Judging by all people have posted here. I know you all, most of you, have been touched by King's personality, warmth, words ... his presence.

I thank you King, for all the things you are and were, and for your friendship that's meant so much to me, and Godspeed ... Bless Bless

Love and Lurv n hugs from VDPW

#43 Bearded-Dragon

Bearded-Dragon

Crew

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0458 AM

While we may not have agreed on much, I respected his views. His passing has caused much sadness.

Buddha taught that all life is impermanent and that all those who are born must eventually pass from this life. However, everyone has within them the seeds of their past virtues, which have the power to bring a fortunate rebirth in the future.

I pray that through the power of this virtue, through the blessings of the holy beings, and through the force of our heartfelt prayers, that King, will experience great good fortune and everlasting peace and happiness.

I will also pray for the bereaved relatives and friends, that they may be comforted in their loss and find peace of mind and strength of heart.

May all beings without exception be released from suffering, and find true happiness and everlasting peace.

#44 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,902 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0504 AM

RIP King, you were one of the great fellows in this site and will be sorely missed, and I am shocked at the loss, but I wish you good sailing up in the sky.

When you meet Ike, be sure to discuss the Overlord 1943 idea, don't wait for Rich to spoil it.

#45 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,902 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0513 AM

Exactly true. That's what Anderson did - sit in his HQ (I don't know what it was) moving units around on maps without noticing the scale on the mapsheet -- which made it look on the map like there was a continuous line when all there was individual bns scattered all over the place.

In Fredendahl's case he was ordered to sit tight and command authority was taken over by 1st Army. Yet legend has made him the fall guy for faulty dispositions made by somebody else who never visited the front either.

What I find really scary is that Anderson was considered for the OVERLORD command position that Monty got.

This was your last post, let me repost it as homage.

#46 Hittite Under The Bridge

Hittite Under The Bridge

Would you like to touch my monkey?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0516 AM

I'm speechless.

#47 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,462 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0522 AM

RIP King, you were one of the great fellows in this site and will be sorely missed, and I am shocked at the loss, but I wish you good sailing up in the sky.

When you meet Ike, be sure to discuss the Overlord 1943 idea, don't wait for Rich to spoil it.

Also, MacArthur, Browning, Mark Clark, Montgomery, etc. sure are going to get a earful.

#48 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,651 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0553 AM

When you know someone for a long time, even if it is through the Internet postings you start thinking he is immortal. Unfortunately for King and all of us that is just how we want to protect ourselves from a fact that one day we will go away, newer to return.
Rest in peace King, You have made other's people lives batter through your wisdom and knowledge.

#49 Kenneth P. Katz

Kenneth P. Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,659 posts
  • Interests:Miltary history and technology, flying, wargaming

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0559 AM

RIP.

#50 T19

T19

Love Life, hate Taxes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,566 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, computers, Military History

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0603 AM

Damn I was hoping he would get better.

Here is the man, as a member of the Sherman Lovers Club at CFB Borden at the Canadian I &I - King is in the Blue Jacket, back row, 3d from the left grey hair and shades leaning against the Sherman

Posted Image

And this next picture of the SLC was taken when King noticed the Panther was on fire and we became firefighters :D

Posted Image

King you are missed already.... as part of our Recce Party, I know you will have places waiting for us... Say Hello to McAurther, and Monty for us

#51 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 16,047 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0607 AM

Wow, NOT the news I was expecting to hear. I am truely saddened by this loss we have all suffered.

#52 Geoff Winnington-Ball

Geoff Winnington-Ball

OC MLU, aka 'Jif'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,650 posts
  • Interests:The men of the World War II Commonwealth Armies

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0617 AM

Charles King Sargent was a good friend to all of us and had an unsurpassed intellect and a great sense of humour. We first met at the Toronto I&I in 1999, and last in Norfolk this last September... except for being physically slower, he hadn't changed a bit. He was, in balance, a fine gentleman.

I shall miss the old curmudgeon dearly.

RIP, King... we shall all see you again some day.

#53 T19

T19

Love Life, hate Taxes

• Admin
  • 35,566 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, computers, Military History

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0619 AM

That sure as hell looks like a Panther to me...

Sorry, fixed it, had tears in my eyes

#54 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0622 AM

My condolences for his family. A great loss.

#55 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0647 AM

I was fortunate to meet King at the last I&I in Norfolk. Spent a little time with him at the fort. It was a pleasure to walk at King's pace and hear him talk. It was also a gift to see the friendship between King and Michael Eastes. While it was difficult for King Sargent to walk, now he can stride.

#56 swerve

swerve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,779 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list all, but include military, economic &technological history. And cycling.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0655 AM

Requiescat in pace

#57 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0708 AM

Just wow. Speechless.

Wherever you are King, I hope your pain is over.

I think of was how much of a part of what made TN great he was and how it will be without him.

I always regretted how we missed eachother by a few days in the UK as well, were planning on catching up over a beer.

I really pity Douglas Macarthur as well :lol:

Wow, now i'm all misty eyed... :(

Condolences to those who knew him on a much more personal level also.

#58 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0733 AM

That is a very sad loss. I really enjoyed reading his posts and learned a lot from them.

All the best to his family and friends.

#59 Cyber_Ghost

Cyber_Ghost

Evil Zionist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0749 AM

RIP King.
I too am going to miss his posts here.

#60 LT Ducky

LT Ducky

Increasiing my carbon footprint while destroying the environment

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Interests:flying and aircraft, general military, society

Posted 12 April 2010 - 0755 AM

King and I only ever disagreed about one thing; could a Garand be re-loaded faster than a M-14.

We were going to have a shoot-off some day - can we do do that in the next life?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users