Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,320 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 2013 PM

So...

Been doing intermittent fasting these past days. I usually eat around 12nn and last meal or snack is around 5pm. Then it's no eating until 12nn the next day, or for at least 16 hours. Coupled with rucking (Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday), carrying around 20+ pounds on my back for an hour or more, I feel lighter and my stomach seems smaller. I'm at 230+ pounds I think, aiming for 180 which was my weight almost 20 years ago. Staying away from rice most of the week (Sunday is cheat day, but still in moderation). Eating more sandwiches.

#2 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,691 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 05 February 2019 - 2027 PM

Good for you!

However, Why, oh why, am I cheat day?  ^_^

Sandwiches could still contain carbohydrates. Did you go to see a doctor to have a tailored diet plan?

#3 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 2100 PM

Didn't see doctor. True, there's the bread component of those sandwiches, but I still try to lessen overall carb intake. Sandwiches IMO are best, as the bread ain't that much, and are filling with all that meat and veg in it. I'm also avoiding pasta as much as possible. And soda. And....

On my second-ish week of intermittent. My last meal was last night, finished eating by 8pm, and despite the yummy Chinese food for the CNY, I made sure to control the portions of wot I ate. Next meal would be around noon-ish later, pro'ly a chicken sandwich. Rucking later tonight.

#4 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,365 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted 05 February 2019 - 2149 PM

Sounds like a good program. Windows needs a diet too. It consumes too much CPU juice and too much confusing fluff. Should install this program on Windows :)

#5 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,434 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 06 February 2019 - 1438 PM

Become vegetarian for some time, eat what cows eat so you can eat cows again. 10 Kilos in 6 months guaranteed

#6 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 1722 PM

No breakfast?  :blink:  Not for me, without I cannot start in the morning. But there are people that cannot really eat in the morning, so personal preference. good if this works for you to reduce calorie intake. :)

Become vegetarian for some time, eat what cows eat so you can eat cows again. 10 Kilos in 6 months guaranteed

You mean more veggies, less carbs like bread or noodles I presume? Vegetables for the most part are water and fibers in colourful packaging. Of course you loose weight then. :D

Most important is to drop those evil "soft" drinks. Filled to the brim with sugar. Replace with water and unsweetened tea and coffee etc. Less carbohydrates overall and more sports or general physical activity to build up muscle mass to burn more calories.

And yes, rice is a carb bomb. Good when you are professional cclist riding le Tour, but bad when mostly sitting in your job.

#7 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,764 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 09 February 2019 - 0540 AM

Did you go to see a doctor to have a tailored diet plan?

If the situation over there is anything like here in America going to a doctor probably wouldn't help much.  In the States most medical schools simply have limited to zero training in nutrition which is the key to weight loss.

I put on a lot of weight after getting out of the service and had zero luck with regular docs trying to lose it.  When I finally lost all my weight years ago (dropped about 80 lbs in 6 months and got down to around 10% body fat) it was after reading several dozen books on health and what the latest trends and theories were.  Cross-referencing what almost everyone agreed on I finally implemented several things at once and the weight flew off (and hasn't come back, though sadly I'm up around 13-14% body fat these days).

Corinthian, if you're up for suggestions I highly recommend The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.  I discovered him after I had lost all my weight but he basically covers everything every other author I've read touches on in that one book - nutrition, exercise, lifestyle, everything.  On top of that he's still very active on his blog and humble enough where he's willing to change recommendations he's made if the latest research suggests the change.

#8 EvanDP

EvanDP

Deus Ex Nukina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,389 posts
  • Interests:SciFi, firearms, Military history, computers, redheads

Posted 10 February 2019 - 0017 AM

My late father was a physician, his basic advice to people wanting to lose weight was:

- Eat less.

- Exercise more.

- Don't miss meals.

- Get a good nights sleep.

He also said:

- Have at least one nutritious meal a day

And personally I use the 10 - 10 rule:

- No crap before 10 AM (doughnuts and the like) and no crap after 10 PM (no soda, chips, cookies...etc.).

#9 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,833 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 10 February 2019 - 1023 AM

About 10 years ago I was able to drop 20 pounds in less than 6 months, with no deprivation or hardship, by following 3 rules:

- at least 3 exercise walks a week;

- only one meal with carbs per day (choose wisely!);

- on days I got exercise, I allowed myself a dessert. No exercise, no dessert.

Most of the time I tried to avoid carbs late at night, because of the blood sugar bounce/crash effect and waking up starving.

Maybe one day a week, the anticipation of dessert got me off my butt and to the park. 

#10 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,833 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 10 February 2019 - 1103 AM

Corinthian, if you're up for suggestions I highly recommend The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.  I discovered him after I had lost all my weight but he basically covers everything every other author I've read touches on in that one book - nutrition, exercise, lifestyle, everything.  On top of that he's still very active on his blog and humble enough where he's willing to change recommendations he's made if the latest research suggests the change.

Sisson is an interesting guy, thanks for the heads-up;

#11 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 2113 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Skywalkre. Will check it out.

I hit the trails yesterday morning with my mountain bike. Man, talk about losing confidence! I hesitated on a jump and roundly got punched on the cheek by my bike's handlebar. :lol:

The rucking will have to be postponed this week though as both feet have got big blisters that was the result of two weeks of rucking. :wacko:

Ideally, I don't eat anything past 8pm. Last week, I had rice for only one meal for only one day. The rest of the days were sandwiches or just salad and meat. Not a fan of heavy dressing of any kind on salads.

Been drinking a lot of wine lately... but then the reason for that is a different matter altogether (my coping mechanism sucks).

Aiming to do an "Asian Trilogy," i.e. climbing Mts Kinabalu (Malaysia), Yushan (Taiwan, formerly known as Niitaka), and Fuji in five years. Looking to do Annapurna Circuit after that.

Edited by Corinthian, 10 February 2019 - 2115 PM.

#12 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,365 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted 11 February 2019 - 0729 AM

Mt. Fuji? You'll never make it ;)

Spoiler

#13 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,764 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 11 February 2019 - 2213 PM

Sisson is an interesting guy, thanks for the heads-up;

That's the interview that I saw that got me hooked.  I was watching vids on intermittent fasting a few years ago and the YT algorithm recommended a clip from this podcast.  Watched it and went "huh... this guy is pretty interesting."  Then went and watched the full podcast (rare for me as I usually don't have the time) and went "Damn!  This guy is awesome!"  Been following him ever since.

When you watch that podcast one of the things you'll notice that I love about Sisson, which also comes across in his writing, is how chill the guy is.  He's not a dick, he's not pushy, he's not melodramatic.  He's basically like "look, I just wanted to be healthy and enjoy life as I aged, I think I found the way to do it, I hope you all can enjoy it as well, here's the info if you want to try it out yourself."

#14 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 1148 AM

And with Rogan showed, I still push for BJJ (or any other full contact, low impact sport).
Have seen people losing weight like crazy. If I do more than 3 sessions a week I must increase calory-intake quite a lot to not lose too much weight.
Other positives with it:
- You learn every time you roll, you will never reach a "now I know it all" level.
- As mentioned low impact, 95% is ground-work.
- Everyone can do it at their own preferred intensity.
- It is extremely social.
- Out travelling? Contact the local gym and you are usually quite welcome.
- It is humbling. Seeing smaller people man-handling bigger people does that.

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson, 13 February 2019 - 0132 AM.

#15 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 1529 PM

Sisson is big on the idea of finding something physically challenging that's fun to do.  That's the one thing I've been struggling to find.

With my ex it was dancing.  That was fairly expensive, though, and obviously not all that viable when single.  The various casual sport leagues don't work for me given my odd schedule (I'm usually in bed before 6 and work over weekends).  My circle of friends are mostly stereotypical gamers so doing something physical goes nowhere. 

(Funny story along these lines - since losing all that weight years ago and staying in shape since I always figured I'd make some progress with my friends who still struggle with their own weight.  NOPE!  I have, however, gotten some of their girlfriends interested.  This goes along with the only friends of mine who want to know more being female as well.  What's up with dudes being ok with being out of shape?  :blink:)

I'm leaning now towards maybe doing a few months of bulking up.  Was never a fan of going to the gym (when I lost all that weight years ago, and still to this day, all I did was body weight exercises at home for 15-20m a few days a week) but have always wanted to see what I could accomplish trying to bulk up.  Not talking anything crazy like Arnold levels from back in the day.  Was thinking more like Thor/Cap from the Marvel movies (but even those levels are insane to get to and maintain).  The drawback to this will again be cost.  Getting to and staying at those levels means a lot more calories and eating healthy is expensive.

#16 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 0427 AM

Sisson is big on the idea of finding something physically challenging that's fun to do.  That's the one thing I've been struggling to find.

With my ex it was dancing.  That was fairly expensive, though, and obviously not all that viable when single.  The various casual sport leagues don't work for me given my odd schedule (I'm usually in bed before 6 and work over weekends).  My circle of friends are mostly stereotypical gamers so doing something physical goes nowhere. 

Well... bjj.
If you are not familiar with it, I would say it is more like wrestling than judo, but if you have done any of the two you will feel at home.
Cost - member-ship in the club and training clothes. A decent gi (think judo-suit) costs around 150 USD. We also train "no-gi", ie submission wrestling, decent shorts around 50 USD, and a couple of rash-guards. But the clothes usually last.
Being single is obviously not a problem as your club-mates are your partners.

Over the almost 10 years I have been doing it, I can not remember ever having regrets picking it up.

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson, 17 February 2019 - 0429 AM.

#17 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,320 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 2205 PM

Going back to muay thai next week hopefully - or when my left foot has healed after spraining it when I jumped out of a boat and solidly hit the sandy bottom with a very audible crack last Thursday.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Corinthian, 18 February 2019 - 2213 PM.

#18 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 0921 AM

Well... bjj.
If you are not familiar with it, I would say it is more like wrestling than judo, but if you have done any of the two you will feel at home.
Cost - member-ship in the club and training clothes. A decent gi (think judo-suit) costs around 150 USD. We also train "no-gi", ie submission wrestling, decent shorts around 50 USD, and a couple of rash-guards. But the clothes usually last.

Over the almost 10 years I have been doing it, I can not remember ever having regrets picking it up.

Looked into it.  To my surprise there are a lot of BJJ gyms around (almost all have 'Gracie' before the BJJ, but I don't know enough to know what that means).  Not a single one had prices listed, though.  That will ultimately be the deciding factor.

#19 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,601 posts
  • Interests:military, martial arts, wargames, literature

Posted 23 February 2019 - 0228 AM

Well... bjj.

Looked into it.  To my surprise there are a lot of BJJ gyms around (almost all have 'Gracie' before the BJJ, but I don't know enough to know what that means).  Not a single one had prices listed, though.  That will ultimately be the deciding factor.

Gracie brothers were basically founders of BJJ, that's why.

#20 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,601 posts
  • Interests:military, martial arts, wargames, literature

Posted 23 February 2019 - 0236 AM

When I started martial arts in college, I was 190 cm aka 6'3" and 78 kg aka 172 lbs. In 2 yrs I was 200 lbs and it was definitely not fat.

Plus training like that can save your life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users