• Please log in to reply
3870 replies to this topic

#3861 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,611 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 18 May 2019 - 1932 PM

Just had to share this, this is just gone on sale, virtually at the bottom of my garden. So if any of you have 10 Million knocking about you can call me neighbour. :D

https://www.dailymai...r-sale-10m.html

as a teenager, on a dark november nights in early 90´s  when i was reading ´day of the triffids´ and imagened living through it in a place like this , with flammewerfers on the walls of course

It looks like a typical location from "The Hammer House of Horror".

#3862 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,256 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 19 May 2019 - 0133 AM

If set in what would aptly called, (groan) a dark and stormy night. The wind was pouring down, and the rattling windows' only illumination came from occasional lightning, while thunderclap rolled over the desolate moor.

#3863 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 51,547 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 0155 AM

Just had to share this, this is just gone on sale, virtually at the bottom of my garden. So if any of you have 10 Million knocking about you can call me neighbour. :D

as a teenager, on a dark november nights in early 90´s  when i was reading ´day of the triffids´ and imagened living through it in a place like this , with flammewerfers on the walls of course

Its nice to know we STILL have something well build at the bottom of the garden if things ever go south. It gives a marvelous feeling of assurance that there is something Norman within reach. :D

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 19 May 2019 - 0541 AM.

#3864 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 0516 AM

If set in what would aptly called, (groan) a dark and stormy night. The wind was pouring down, and the rattling windows' only illumination came from occasional lightning, while thunderclap rolled over the desolate moor.

that was literally what i was listening to , the whole record was just like the soundtrack to the first part of the book, where the london is dark and dying out. sent shivers down the spine, one of the best (aptly named) doom metal records ever

https://www.youtube....h?v=cteWHg_hR-w

#3865 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 51,547 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 0540 AM

Needs to be something that represents post Brexit Britain. So we want Apocalyptic, but cheerful with it.

As for the Castle, it featured one of my favourite battles in English history. During the civil war the Parliamentarians tried to starve out the Royalist Garrison. When that failed, they  tried  to put the 17th Century equivalent of a bangalore torpedo up against the front gate and blow the (bloody) door in. Both sides fired at each other for half an hour, and both sides withdrew with Zero casualties. It really gives you an interesting perspective how unreliable matchlocks were. :D

In the end, they waited till the commander of the castled forces sneaked out to go and visit his 'girlfriend' in nearby Chavenage, and they arrested him. The castle fell the next day. Im sure there is a lesson there for military historians if you are looking for it.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 19 May 2019 - 0542 AM.

#3866 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 18,751 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 0956 AM

5pN6nPc.jpg​

#3867 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,256 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 19 May 2019 - 0959 AM

we want Apocalyptic, but cheerful with it.

Meh. Not enough cowbell.

#3868 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,698 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 1239 PM

As for the Castle, it featured one of my favourite battles in English history. During the civil war the Parliamentarians tried to starve out the Royalist Garrison. When that failed, they  tried  to put the 17th Century equivalent of a bangalore torpedo up against the front gate and blow the (bloody) door in. Both sides fired at each other for half an hour, and both sides withdrew with Zero casualties. It really gives you an interesting perspective how unreliable matchlocks were. :D

That happens if you lezt slip the mandatory longbow training. ;)

(yes I know that musketeers are much cheaper to train and equip)

In the end, they waited till the commander of the castled forces sneaked out to go and visit his 'girlfriend' in nearby Chavenage, and they arrested him. The castle fell the next day. Im sure there is a lesson there for military historians if you are looking for it.

Aren't there similar stories from WW1 with soldiers sneaking off to local women in France and Belgium and getting arrested?

#3869 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 51,547 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 0210 AM

That happens if you lezt slip the mandatory longbow training. ;)

(yes I know that musketeers are much cheaper to train and equip)

Aren't there similar stories from WW1 with soldiers sneaking off to local women in France and Belgium and getting arrested?

It wouldnt surprise me. Im sure Bill has a few stories like that in his collection.

Beverston Castle has always been one of history's maybes. It nearly became an epic siege, except it wasnt, quite. There was NEARLY an epic battle between King Stephen and Empress Matilda, but they both settled their difference for the day and went home. The most exciting thing that happened here was that when it was owned by the Berkley's, the murderer of King Edward II (he of red hot poker fame) holed up here whilst the case was being investigated, or whatever they did with awkward murder cases in medieval times. Nobody was ever charged with it as far as I can tell, so apparently it was the right place to hide.

Be interesting to see what happens to it. Im tempted to put the rumour around a rich arab bought it and he is going to put a dome on it. But maybe there is already too much fake news about. :)

#3870 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 18,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 1321 PM

RJ0ybH6.jpg​

#3871 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members