69 replies to this topic

#61 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 1830 PM

We have a bunch around here as well, doubt if they'll go on.  They haven't said anything about this one https://www.greatame...erfestival.com/ it's more of an industry/beer nerd thing than a mass party but it is insanely popular, it usually sells out in less than an hour when online sales start.  At over $100 a pop I haven't ever actually been tempted to attend.

#62 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,202 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 0317 AM

We have a bunch around here as well, doubt if they'll go on.  They haven't said anything about this one https://www.greatame...erfestival.com/ it's more of an industry/beer nerd thing than a mass party but it is insanely popular, it usually sells out in less than an hour when online sales start.  At over $100 a pop I haven't ever actually been tempted to attend.

Yeah that one is a bit price, but unlimited sampling might make it worthwhile, at least once if at all. Unless you're the driver, than no point.

But it isn't Deusche :D

Maybe the others of the bunch you mention are ^_^

With the quality German (and Austria, Belgium, or where ever else from central Europe some of it may be coming from) sausages, pretzel, with good Beer. That combination. With correct atmosphere. Trains mean no driver needed. 

http://osaka-oktoberfest.com/

Spoiler

The Osaka website has a message saying that it was cancelled for this year because of the virus.

#63 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 1837 PM

I'm good for the 2nd half of September and the 1st of October. That is my annual Octoberfest avoidance holiday. 

Have encountered it by accident while traveling in the past, and California versions of it closer to home. Beer does not always bring out the best in people.

#64 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 0358 AM

Beer does not always bring out the best in people.

It certainly brings out half-digested beer, and chunks.

#65 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 0413 AM

Watch it. People try to have breakfast here. ;)

#66 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 1944 PM

Beer does not always bring out the best in people.

It certainly brings out half-digested beer, and chunks.

The first time I went to Munich for the October Fest I found it by following the trail of vomit from u-bahn station to the fest grounds.

#67 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 1133 AM

The large groups of drunk college students at some California versions of it are entertaining, but the German-ness gets lost in the behavior along the way.

Parking lot vomiting etiquette is to not get any on a vehicle.

Parking lot urination etiquette varies between the sexes.

#68 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 1120 AM

I prefer the ones that don't try too hard to ape the Munich fest.  Some of the local ones to me have been around long enough that they have their own traditions and those work better than the ones that try to be authentic.  

#69 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 1437 PM

Aquino weekend is postponed until September.  Given the uncertainties that are likely to affect travel for at least the remainder of the year I think we can consider the 2020 I&I cancelled.

#70 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 0322 AM

:(