6124 replies to this topic

#6121 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 0433 AM

Was a prototype of the "T-74" ever built or did the concept never make it off the drawing board?  It'd be interesting to know more about such a vehicle, looks quite an advanced design.

I think I've seen a small scale model of the "T-74" before somewhere but I cannot recall where from.

This is as far as it went I think:

Bit of a shame really, it would have been a really interesting vehicle to have seen in the metal, something certainly quite unique to have on display at a place like Kubinka.

I've just found the T-14 Armata video (how it came to be by Red Effect) and I've spotted the hull of the screenshot you posted above.  So they got at least as far as the hull then.  I take it that the scale model of the vehicle may still survive?

And as for the Objekt 195 and "two prototypes"?  Hmm...I wonder what they're being used for now then?

#6122 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,419 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Art, history

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1629 PM

Was a prototype of the "T-74" ever built or did the concept never make it off the drawing board?  It'd be interesting to know more about such a vehicle, looks quite an advanced design.

I think I've seen a small scale model of the "T-74" before somewhere but I cannot recall where from.

This is as far as it went I think:

bvoJxcF.jpg

It is Object 299 from Leningrad.

#6123 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted Today, 10:23 AM

First combat employment of the T-64. 19-20 July 1992.

image007.jpg

image013.jpg

The first place of combat employment of the T-64BV was the battle for the city of Bendery, occupied by Moldovan troops.  On June 20, occurred the so-called civilian seizure of 11 T-64BV tanks of 59 motorized rifle divisions of the 14-th army which were on a long-term storage.  On the same day, hastily removed from the conservation tanks have already participated in the battle.  About this events -  https://btvtinfo.blo...of-t-64-19.html

#6124 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 13 minutes ago

Intriguing!

If anyone can remember Baryatinsky's book "Tanks in Chechnya", there were a couple of pictures in that book showing a T-64BV with the characteristic upturned turret on the hull on a bridge.  These two pictures created quite a discussion (sometimes heated) about the T-64 and if it had ever served either in Chechnya or in the surrounding area.

I wonder if those two pictures were taken in the same timeframe as the above images and video? 

I still have yet to find a copy of that book.  The pictures alone should make it worth continuing to look out for. 

#6125 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Andrei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted A minute ago

T-64BV?  No, maybe Js-3

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Harkonnen, Pavel Novak