• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,308 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 23 April 2015 - 0746 AM

For those of the Empire, and to remind those who are not:

100 years this Saturday since the Anglo-French-ANZAC-Imperial landings at Gallipoli.

After a failed naval campaign, the troops go in, and like troops everywhere in WW1, are slaughtered.

Legends are begun, reputations tarnished, amphibious warfare will never be the same again. 

Both sides fought hard.  After all the Turks were defending themselves from those who within living memory had been allies against the Russians, but who now fought to try to support the Russians.

A new Turkey was born, and two young semi-independent states wrote their national myths around that campaign, myths that deservedly continue to this day.

And after all the bloodshed, we should remember the words of Kemal Attaturk, in 1934, the 'founder' of a modern state, that while Islamic was also secular:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

#2 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,329 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 24 April 2015 - 1047 AM

I'm looking into tours now, to visit in June.

#3 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,749 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a helicopter pilot for the Pinochet administration

Posted 24 April 2015 - 1124 AM

Bucket listed... What other places of such relevance have you visited, Ken?

#4 Rich

Rich

intellectual bully ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • Interests:WW II, Current Defense Issues, Military History in General

Posted 25 April 2015 - 0918 AM

I'm looking into tours now, to visit in June.

We did a cruise with friends in October 2012 that stopped overnight in Istanbul, so we cruised up the straits. In early-morning we passed Sedd el-Bahr and Kumkale and a little later Canakkale. The shipboard historian - a job I would truly KILL for - provided a very complete and accurate narrative as far as I could tell of the Gallipoli Campaign before returning to ancient history when we hit the Sea of Marmara. It caused quite a stir amongst the British and ANZAC passengers, who were all at the rails.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users