1216 replies to this topic

#1201 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 1341 PM

I read the book "Skunk Works" by Ben Rich some time ago. IIRC, the original color was supposed to be grey, but the Air Force insisted on black.

Thats interesting, I have that book but I didnt remember that about painting them grey. I do remember the bit about the USAF demanding national markings on the SR71 (at great expense at it turned out), despite nobody but the tanker crew ever going fast enough to read them. :D

#1202 Mr King

Mr King

Putin's Personal Representative To Tanknet

• Members
  • 18,069 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 1346 PM

I need to reread that book, I don't remember either of those two bits. Of course it has probably been a at least a decade since I have read it. 

#1203 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 1355 PM

Yeah me too,I dont think ive read it for a decade either.

I think one of the guys on the old UFOMind Website (whom were the Groom lake interceptors) said the most remarkable thing was not what was said in it, but that it was written at all.

It helped that Ben Rich was a damn entertaining writer as well of course.

#1204 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,803 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 11 January 2019 - 1409 PM

The bit about the first visit of Kelly Johnson to Ben Rich's office after Kelly knew of the stealth plane design is hilarious.

#1205 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 0306 AM

Oh, is that where he got the boot up the arse? Yeah, it seems to have been an effective management technique that much of industry could learn from. :D

If there was a prescribed Tanknet reading listing, Id certainly put that in the top 10.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 12 January 2019 - 0307 AM.

#1206 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 0903 AM

The pod may be an ACM one, for recording the action, or sn EM pod, perhaps for emulating hostile's emissions.

#1207 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 1521 PM

2nd SU-57 contract for 13 planes to be signed.  Delivery 2020 to 2025, suggesting that rate of acquisition of this plane will probably not exceed low rate production for the foreseeable future,

http://tass.com/defense/1040167

#1208 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 0109 AM

They are waiting for Izd 30 to arrive. Good move.

#1209 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 0423 AM

The Su-57 is looking a lot like the F-22 procurement - never out of LRIP, destined to be cut short of originally planned numbers because of creeping obsolescence during a long programme stretch.

#1210 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,803 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 17 January 2019 - 0433 AM

Oh, is that where he got the boot up the arse? Yeah, it seems to have been an effective management technique that much of industry could learn from. :D

If there was a prescribed Tanknet reading listing, Id certainly put that in the top 10.

Indeed!

#1211 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 0656 AM

The Su-57 is looking a lot like the F-22 procurement - never out of LRIP, destined to be cut short of originally planned numbers because of creeping obsolescence during a long programme stretch.

Creeping obsolescence?..
About "long programme" - god, how I like that BSh!..

Edited by GARGEAN, 17 January 2019 - 0658 AM.

#1212 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 0743 AM

Well he has a point. Russia has been working on a 4th Generation fighter for the past 30 years. 16 years looks pretty good for Su57, till you remember that its filling a role initially intended for Mig 1.44. There is still no commitment to buy large numbers of Su57, even after 8 years of testing.

If Russia buys in small, affordable batches, they are going to be suffering obsolescence problems before you even complete the buy. That and the cost is likely going to spiral, as they keep production lines open that aren't fully being utilized.

Its no criticism of the aircraft to suggest the procurement of it clearly has issues. It seems to me that the Ruaf has to make a decision whether it wants large numbers of affordable aircraft, or small number's of state of the art aircraft. Pretty clearly they seem unable to make their mind up because they are seemingly trying to go down both tracks.

I hope it makes it, I really do, for the record.

#1213 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 1125 AM

Creeping obsolescence applies mainly to items like electronics. If your programme is effectively run as a series of batches, especially with pauses between batches whilst politics decides whether to buy any more, then unlesd you can ensure a supply of components for an entire production run when you start, you msy find that what you used for batch 1 is no longer avalable for batch 2, 3. 4 etc.

This means you have to incrementally redesign for each batch, causing costs to exceed budgets set back when everything was supposed to be bought at a higher rate...

Over time, you end up with equipment that can't be swapped scross batches, ehich messes with your spares inventory, which pushes up maintenance costs... And so on.

#1214 Mr King

Mr King

Putin's Personal Representative To Tanknet

• Members
  • 18,069 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 AM

n1ZclOz.jpg​

#1215 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 AM

I bet the Navy are still spitting teeth that got canned. With that being cancelled and the F14 being withdrawn, their sole long range strike asset is now the cruise missile.

Thought this was interesting. Pretty clearly a high altitude penetrator with stealth features, which is clearly flying in the open, but of which almost nothing is known.

#1216 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,984 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 PM

I bet the Navy are still spitting teeth that got canned. With that being cancelled and the F14 being withdrawn, their sole long range strike asset is now the cruise missile.

Thought this was interesting. Pretty clearly a high altitude penetrator with stealth features, which is clearly flying in the open, but of which almost nothing is known.

I noticed the gun camera jerked to the left everytime the gun fired. Was that just the cam or the entire  airplane? 

#1217 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,352 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Yes I noticed that. I think it was the whole aircraft.

Ironically now we have the need for a light strike aircraft and we have laser guided FFAR's, an Ares would probably be a lot more useful. But I dont believe Son of Ares is anything to do with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users