4185 replies to this topic

#4181 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 0823 AM

As an outside observer, I may not be qualified to comment, but based on the experiences of my parenting peers, two good quality parents are much more likely to be a suitable way to bring up children, especially if there is more than one.

I suspect that having two responsible parents, whatever the gender mix, is likely to be universally better than one, whatever the gender. Two parents share the load, and the load can be immense.

Bad parents are bad, no matter whether they're male, female or whatever they think they are.

#4182 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 0849 AM

Russian truck driver exploring US roads

#4183 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,224 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 1122 AM

As an outside observer, I may not be qualified to comment, but based on the experiences of my parenting peers, two good quality parents are much more likely to be a suitable way to bring up children, especially if there is more than one.

I suspect that having two responsible parents, whatever the gender mix, is likely to be universally better than one, whatever the gender. Two parents share the load, and the load can be immense.

Bad parents are bad, no matter whether they're male, female or whatever they think they are.

Agree on all points.

A notable addition is that educated, middle-class single parents on average do better than working-class and subsistance-class single parents, in my observations (and in my previous job, I had to do a lot of life coaching with the latter). IMHO, it often* has less to do with the parent and more to do with the employers; salaried positions and flextime are usually waaaay different than the unforgiving, often hostile cultures that unskilled and semi-skilled folks endure. Another factor is that poor kids with single parents are in poor school systems with other poor kids, with violence and criminality being norms rather than exceptions.

* Yes, there is also the situation where people with a trend of bad decisions before childbirth keep making bad decisions afterwards.

#4184 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,224 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 1138 AM

Surprisingly positive article about a coastal who moves to Idaho;

https://www.business...re-shock-2019-8

#4185 DB

DB

Crew