Yes, but I wouldn't count 1984 as "the end of the Cold War."

#22 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 2059 PM

I haven't heard that the US is developing any replacement CBU's for those being withdrawn/demilled. Evidently it's not seen as a vital capability.

#23 JW Collins

JW Collins

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 2151 PM

I haven't heard that the US is developing any replacement CBU's for those being withdrawn/demilled. Evidently it's not seen as a vital capability.

The alternative being that it's not a "politically acceptable" capability which I find to be a more concerning prospect.

Even in an age of smart munitions it seems like there are few better ways to ruin the day of an armored column than CBUs or DPICM raining down on it.

#24 Special-K

Special-K

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:All things military, Shooting, Cycling, Hiking and Camping.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 1653 PM

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1DU2EI

From the above link:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon will indefinitely delay a ban on the use of older types of cluster bombs due to take effect on Jan. 1, 2019, U.S. officials tell Reuters, saying safety improvements in munitions technology failed to advance enough to replace older stockpiles.

But with just over one year to go before the ban’s slated implementation, a Pentagon spokesman told Reuters that safety technology had not progressed enough to replace existing stockpiles with safer weaponry.  “Although the Department seeks to field a new generation of more highly reliable munitions, we cannot risk mission failure or accept the potential of increased military and civilian casualties by forfeiting the best available capabilities,” according to a Pentagon memo seen by Reuters.  The memo, which was expected to be signed by Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan on Thursday, called cluster munitions “legitimate weapons with clear military utility.”

Good news, glad they finally made this decision.  I just hope the existing stock wasn't reduced by too much, or at least that they will try to restock what was demilled with new production.

-K

Edited by Special-K, 30 November 2017 - 1653 PM.

#25 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,258 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 30 November 2017 - 1708 PM

i think DPICM and bomblet payload MLRS/ATACMS (assuming any of the latter are still in inventory) is a lot more useful than dumb, or even wind-corrected CBUs, relatively speaking and given their intended usage.

#26 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,980 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 1756 PM

How do you do a suppression of the wide area potential target with smart weapons?

#27 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,258 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 30 November 2017 - 1820 PM

How do you do a suppression of the wide area potential target with smart weapons?

You don't, but then you don't normally suppress wide area potential targets with air delivered dumb cluster weapons. Some use was made of delayed action bomblets in Vietnam for  suppressing AAA sites etc., but those really were difficult point targets and the tactic was dictated by the lack of JDAM like PGMs. If you don't know where something is - under trees etc., you're probably just as well, if not better off using unguided bombs. The thing is, you would need to be in a pretty benign air environment to use them accurately enough and already have tooled up on the basis that you were going after a widely distributed target, which implies foreknowledge of its existence in order to be loaded with weapons that would not be much use against anything else - I'm thinking Arc Light strikes in Vietnam as an example. Would you ever use CBUs for that? The US had something called a Hayes Dispenser that fitted in a B-52 bomb bay for use in SEA, but it apparently was little used.

#28 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 2052 PM

A lot of air-delivered CBU's will shelf life expire without replacement unless they're given an extension.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users