• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,079 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 21 June 2019 - 0129 AM

Okay to take it more seriously. To make a home defense like situation  I would build up a shoothouse. put a sleeping room with a bed in it. The competitor starts in the bed and has to retrieve his firearm from the bedstand or similar storage for a home defense firearm. then has to clear the "house" and find and neutralize the randomly placed target and with a few noshoots placed around the house.

In the early days of IPSC, I think they used to do that sort of thing. All the way to having a teddy bear prop. But it turned into the usual square range thing; two bullets on 5 targets. All about speed, no tactics.

Sadly. Originally 3-gun comes from the three guns a cop normally has in his cruiser. His pistol or revolver, a shotgun and a rifle. Put them to use with transitions on the fly between them. Over the years since the eighties it has morphed into high speed paper punching at 5 meters. So does not really have soemthing to do real live engagemanets anymore.

Another scenario would be starting in the kitchen and when the beep goes opff the competitor has to go and retrieve his firearm from its storage. Or you could start with a concealed carry. then like the other scenario. Yeah, souinds boring at the moment. Maybe randomly put up two targets insted of one, so you have to clear all rooms.

That is the thing. Home invasions usually don't offer enough time to sprint from wherever to the gun safe, much less open it, acquire firing grip, etc.  In my current place, I don't worry much about the door getting kicked in, because if they do that the walls and roof will collapse.

Do you live in a carton box? :D

Even worse, a renter-grade house built apparently when crack was at its peak. 

#22 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,254 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 21 June 2019 - 1724 PM

Pursuing a perp in your car through a built up area whilst shooting through your windshield at them dozens of times.

#23 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,334 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 21 June 2019 - 2334 PM

Done that. Its hard. Shooting through windshields. Either way.

#24 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,785 posts
  • Interests:Ducats and shot

Posted 03 July 2019 - 1036 AM

I did a carjacking drill in an empty alley at night out in the boonies with my old bersa and snap caps. the drill was to draw, deactivate safety, aim, "fire" while yelling at would-be passengers to get down. I did a few reps on all aspects of the vehicle.

Edited by Stargrunt6, 03 July 2019 - 1036 AM.

#25 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,355 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 1737 PM

I did a carjacking drill in an empty alley at night out in the boonies with my old bersa and snap caps. the drill was to draw, deactivate safety, aim, "fire" while yelling at would-be passengers to get down. I did a few reps on all aspects of the vehicle.

Sounds more fit for a training course than a competition I think. That seems hard to integrate repeatably into a competiton. There are some competitions that put you in an old junk car, or let you start or end in one shooting through the windows, but that is more to make the shooter shoot from a difficult position than to train for actual gun fight around a vehicle.

IMHO what you can take from a competition is how you can work best under stress and when the heart is pumping loudly in your ears. Learn shooting under pressure and not with all the time you want sitting comfortably at a bench. to get out of the comfort zone. So that if the excrement hits the ventilator, you are not totally new to working under stress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users