1924 replies to this topic

#1921 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,069 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 0113 AM

I still maintain, and I guess as the only person on these boards that thinks DPRK is not in an understandable situation to keep nukes.

If DPRK and Fat Kim had any sense of a brain they would take ROK as an example as to how to lead a country successfully.  

Kim wants to maintain his God status, the people of DPRK live to serve him, not the other way around.  He'll not easily concede that which makes him omnipotent to his people.  

#1922 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Novichok is the New Black

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,751 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 0202 AM

I still maintain, and I guess as the only person on these boards that thinks DPRK is not in an understandable situation to keep nukes.

If DPRK and Fat Kim had any sense of a brain they would take ROK as an example as to how to lead a country successfully. Heck even China during the 1980s took ideas how to develop a country from the examples of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore. The whole basic premise of a Kim dynasty and "Juche" is flawed to the core and the regime has only been able to survive up until now because of China's security assurance of regime survival for the purpose of serving as China's buffer state. It should be not forgotten that DPRK doesn't need ICBMs to have a credible deterrent. The US has plenty of assets in South Korea, Japan, and Guam that DPRK can threaten. A nuke on Okinawa's Kadena and Futenma bases or a nuke at Yokosuka would cause a lot of damage to US presence in the region. Damage that PRC strategists would welcome greatly. To go as far as ICBM... How many countries have ICBMs? Like just 6 or so. ROK has a nominal GDP that is higher than even Russia. Did ROK need ICBMs to accomplish that? Did Thailand need them? Australia? What about Japan? Japan could run a sob story of "we were nuked twice so we need nukes too!!11!!"... if Japan was stupid.

DPRK was stupid in trying to achieve top tier strategic assets (provided on Chinese TELs remember?) despite having an economy the size of Laos. And they were driven on their stupid path because of their incapacity to abandon the North Korean way of government, trapped by their own stubbornness in the Kim dynasty. Or, just perhaps... China pressures them to not change so as DPRK doesn't evolve into something that is better conditioned to follow the ROK way. Obviously following the ROK way would lead to reunification, thus would be the end of China's buffer state.

Some other back ground info to consider.

defectors.jpg

http://www.unikorea..../status/lately/

https://en.wikipedia...tors#Statistics

I dont believe anyone WANTS them to be a nuclear power. I think its like Kissinger said, even Paranoids have enemies. We simply have to take on board they dont view the world like we do, and try to work with that. Kim wants to survive, and leverage the world situation to his advantage. I find him appalling, and yet I still find that understandable.

#1923 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 0448 AM

Two more defectors, one is a military officer. Last time a military officer defected was in 2008.

Spoiler

http://www.koreahera...=20180519000051

Edited by JasonJ, 19 May 2018 - 0451 AM.

#1924 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 1114 AM

I've stated this before, but it is worth mentioning again. North Korea's nuclear program starts making (more) sense in the historical context of the Korean mentality, which is that of a shirmp among whales, and is aimed as much against China and Chinese as it is against others.

A vassal/buffer/client state that no longer wants to take its marching orders from its master has a different set of fears to contend with.

#1925 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted 19 May 2018 - 1129 AM

I've stated this before, but it is worth mentioning again. North Korea's nuclear program starts making (more) sense in the historical context of the Korean mentality, which is that of a shirmp among whales, and is aimed as much against China and Chinese as it is against others.

A vassal/buffer/client state that no longer wants to take its marching orders from its master has a different set of fears to contend with.

IMO the weapons are aimed at China more than ant other country now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users