• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,249 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 17 July 2018 - 1457 PM

As a multifuel, wouldn’t the L60 have spark plugs?

I think by the mid 1980's they had enough of the multifuel capability and were running it as a pure diesel, which made it more reliable. But its a good point, and ive never stopped to think about it before

Ryan will know that the US had the multifuel fad too, but they dropped it (at least in trucks) long before the 1980s (in 1968/9). That said, I think the Abrams can run on every thing from Jack Daniels to coal tar. :)

#42 Tim Sielbeck

Tim Sielbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Steel Beasts, WW1 aviation, Epees

Posted 17 July 2018 - 1511 PM

Ryan will know that the US had the multifuel fad too, but they dropped it (at least in trucks) long before the 1980s (in 1968/9). That said, I think the Abrams can run on every thing from Jack Daniels to coal tar. :)

We still had multi-fuel trucks when I was in, '79 - '83.

#43 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 1557 PM

As a multifuel, wouldn’t the L60 have spark plugs?

I think by the mid 1980's they had enough of the multifuel capability and were running it as a pure diesel, which made it more reliable. But its a good point, and ive never stopped to think about it before

The turbine will run on anything that is similar to diesel fuel oil. plant oil, old fish&chips fat, kerosine and similar. Alcohol I would be coutious, that the rubber gaskets and seals are not corroding and dissolve quickly. Heck even E10 petrol can kill rubber in a car.

The modern (well from the last two to three decades really) turbo diesels have become more picky about fuel quality, because they have been optimised more and more to generate more power and adhere to emission standards. Older multi-fuel diesel engines will run on almost anythinf oily. turbos and fuel and injection pumps are built mostly to expect the lubricity of proper first wirld diesel fuel oil, when you fill in anything else they are not lubricated properly anymore and die sooner or later. Turbo chargers are simlarly finicky in regards to the oil and fuel used. Use the wrong ones and kill it.

Edited by Panzermann, 17 July 2018 - 1601 PM.

#44 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 2203 PM

:)

Tankfest%202018%20Showguide_Brad%20Pitt_

Photo taken with the seller's permission...reportedly includes Rudel's actual signature in the box below the drawing. Price: £1,995...

Rudel%20Drawing_Signatures_Tankfest%2020

#45 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • 45,998 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 0320 AM

The last time I went, they had an art exhibition of the work of Terrance Cuneo. I have a print of this one of his hung over my desk. It was a lot cheaper than that though. :D

road-to-basra-450w.jpg

Re multifuel, Challenger2's were reportedly running off helicopter fuel (JP2? I cant remember?) that had been taken from a USMC pipeline in 2003. It was the reason why they were so ponderous apparently, Ive read it didnt give the power output you would get running on diesel proper. Lord only knows what it did to the engines.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 18 July 2018 - 0321 AM.

#46 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 1037 AM

JP8, probably. IIRC it was mandated to simplify logistics.

#47 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,444 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 18 July 2018 - 1310 PM

That's what we used, I don't recall any performance issues. The biggest change for us is that we got lots of reminders that using the on board smoke generators was no longer allowed.

#48 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • 45,998 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 1320 PM

Yes, I remember reading that in the British case too. Although it may not have been possible in the British case, because the exhaust IR suppressors on.

JP8, I believe you are right DB.

#49 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,083 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:35 PM

This paper's abstract suggests that retuning a relatively modern diesel engine can recover performance lost due to using JP-8 instead of DF-2 (diesel).

http://journals.sage...ournalCode=pidb

It notes lower density and viscosity as some reasons for performance loss, but also notes that a lower cetane number also contributes. Compensation is by increasing injector open duration (and timing?), which seems likely to result in higher consumption to regain the power lost.

#50 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,781 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Interesting, somewhat quirky stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JP-8

Edited by shep854, Yesterday, 10:21 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users