• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 1419 PM

Any suggestions as to whether books by David Galntz and/or Viktor Suvorov worth purchasing?

BTW, what about Zaloga's book Red Army Handbook 1939-1945?

#2 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 1058 AM

Red Army Handbook 1939-1945 by Steven J. Zaloga & Leland S. Ness gives somewhat detailed T.O.&E. of units battalion size on up to division with a very brief overview of why the different orginizations occured. IMO a better look at the Red Army is Soviet Infantry Tactics in World War II by Charles C. Sharp. Basically an English translation of the Nov. 1942 Combat Regulations. This has the T.O.&E of company to squad units. It also is more indepth regarding Soviet small unit infantry tatics.

#3 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 1941 PM

Red Army Handbook 1939-1945 by Steven J. Zaloga & Leland S. Ness gives somewhat detailed T.O.&E. of units battalion size on up to division with a very brief overview of why the different orginizations occured. IMO a better look at the Red Army is Soviet Infantry Tactics in World War II by Charles C. Sharp. Basically an English translation of the Nov. 1942 Combat Regulations. This has the T.O.&E of company to squad units. It also is more indepth regarding Soviet small unit infantry tatics.

Thanks for the opinion. I recently ordered the Zaloga book. I'm a sucker for his books. But I did not know about the book by Sharp, thanks for the heads up.

#4 wilsonam

wilsonam

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 1300 PM

Any suggestions as to whether books by David Galntz and/or Viktor Suvorov worth purchasing?

Depends on which books - and what you are after in the way of information! If you are after TO&E, Sharp is indeed a good buy - not sure if it still comes in a gazillion volumes. Zaloga/Ness is a little brief, if you are after a lot of detail. David Glantz, of course, will proide you with a huge amount of detail.

So - what info ARE you looking for :) ?

#5 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 2155 PM

Depends on which books - and what you are after in the way of information! If you are after TO&E, Sharp is indeed a good buy - not sure if it still comes in a gazillion volumes. Zaloga/Ness is a little brief, if you are after a lot of detail. David Glantz, of course, will proide you with a huge amount of detail.

So - what info ARE you looking for :) ?

Good question. I already ordered the Zaloga book since I am a fan of his other stuff. I am a detail guy but Glantz appears a little thin on photos and graphs and listings. A general unit TO&E overview will do, with some discussion on weapons and as always my favorite, a comparison to other armies.

Essentially a little of everything until if aand when I decide to get real specific. Squad level info only appeals to me as far as personal diaries, anecdotal evidence. In a war and an army that BIG, I really don't think squad level tactics amount to a hill of beans.

#6 zaevor2000

zaevor2000

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 1411 PM

Good question. I already ordered the Zaloga book since I am a fan of his other stuff. I am a detail guy but Glantz appears a little thin on photos and graphs and listings. A general unit TO&E overview will do, with some discussion on weapons and as always my favorite, a comparison to other armies.

Essentially a little of everything until if aand when I decide to get real specific. Squad level info only appeals to me as far as personal diaries, anecdotal evidence. In a war and an army that BIG, I really don't think squad level tactics amount to a hill of beans.

The best single volume treatment of the Soviet Army that I have ever seen remains David C. Isby's Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army...I've had the 81 edition since it came out in 81, and I was finally able to track down the 88 version.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Enough technical info to choke a horse...

Frank

#7 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 1257 PM

Who recommended Suvorov to you? He doesn't write history. His books are based on half-truths, selected facts taken out of context and some flatout BS.

#8 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 0141 AM

The best single volume treatment of the Soviet Army that I have ever seen remains David C. Isby's Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army...I've had the 81 edition since it came out in 81, and I was finally able to track down the 88 version.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Enough technical info to choke a horse...

Frank

It's easier to find now...

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

#9 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,682 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 0347 AM

It's easier to find now...

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

Thanks for the tip, already ordered!

#10 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 1849 PM

Stay away from Suvorov. Run screaming in the other direction from Suvorov. His books have about the same factual content as a Clancy novel.

Dmitry Loza on the other hand is very good. He was a Sherman commander who was part of the drive into Berlin. He also wrote Fighting For the Soviet Motherland, or something like that.

Glantz is OK, but pretty turgid.

Zaloga is generally solid as well.

What particular era/time-frame/battle, etc are you interested in?

Shot

#11 Bob_Mackenzie

Bob_Mackenzie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 1208 PM

probably a bit late now but....

Red Army Handbook is the best English source I know for Soviet TO&E, though Leyland wrote the TO&E part Zaloga only did the (rather lack lustre IMO) equipment section

Sharpes books (all 12 vols) do have some To&E stuff and probably nearly as much as Ness/Zaloga but its scattered through the 12 vols which makes it prohibitively expensive just for that. What sharpes books give you are podded histories of EVERY Soviet combat unit brigade sized and bigger. RAH has nothing similar.

#12 bigfngun

bigfngun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 2031 PM

Red Army Handbook is the best English source I know for Soviet TO&E, though Leyland wrote the TO&E part Zaloga only did the (rather lack lustre IMO) equipment section

Thanks Bob. I agree that the Zaloga/Leyland book is a great one volume source on the subject.