35 replies to this topic

#21 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,422 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 0813 AM

This discussion reminded me of those Microprose flight sims (I had F-19, F-16 I think, and some others), as well as LHX. Those were the days....

#22 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 1629 PM

I can't recall where but I found a copy of Gunship online and got it working with dosbox.  The controls were a little iffy but I found the gameplay to be as good as I remembered it.  Trying to autorotate in while taking hits!

One thing is for certain, I was a lot better at it in 1987 than now.

I even enjoyed the intro.

I had a boxed copy on floppy disk but don't know where it ended up.  I don't think I have a working floppy drive anyway

#23 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 0323 AM

They have a lot of the early PC ports on Steam if its worth anything. B17II is still available, as is F14 Fleet Defender. God, I enjoyed that one.

#24 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 0831 AM

I think when it comes to old games it is more than just the nostalgia value that makes them appealing.  The game play itself was/is actually fun. A lot of modern stuff gives too much effort into visual reality and then story and game play suffer accordingly...

#25 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 1319 PM

They have a lot of the early PC ports on Steam if its worth anything. B17II is still available, as is F14 Fleet Defender. God, I enjoyed that one.

Fleet defender was good, but I certainly put more hours in Aces over Europe.

#26 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 1502 PM

Yeah I had that too, the manual was one thick bible.

I forgot how good dynamic games were actually. I probably still have the manual somewhere.

#27 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,047 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 1135 AM

Yeah I had that too, the manual was one thick bible.

I forgot how good dynamic games were actually. I probably still have the manual somewhere.

What convinced me that I could get through med school was crushing Falcon 3.0's manual and all the extra literature that came with it.

Re wargamin: it seems the internet is keeping it afloat if not better. There are so many more companies these days pumping out games and they look amazing. But yeah, MTG and WH40k are dominating everything, sadly.

Re: PC sims, Ssnake, was there any surge in interest in these types of games during the early 2000s? It seems that fueled the COD modern warfare FPS craze.

#28 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 1146 AM

Too many acronyms for me to parse your question in full, but even then since we literally only started in the early 2000s (late August, to be precise), I don't have the data collection of "before" to establish a normal, so to read any "interest surges" as a function of these times.

#29 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 1204 PM

Check out the Matrixgames website. It's the fringe publisher for wargames on PC.

War in the Pacific:Admiral's Edition is an incredible war sim beast. Uncommon valour (the predecessor) is like a tutorial for it. War in the East is similar, but land warfare-centric with much influence of seasons and a bit more scripting.

They even have extreme fringe games like Pike & Shot.

#30 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,047 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 1250 PM

Too many acronyms for me to parse your question in full, but even then since we literally only started in the early 2000s (late August, to be precise), I don't have the data collection of "before" to establish a normal, so to read any "interest surges" as a function of these times.

Sorry.

COD: Call of Duty
MW: Modern Warfare
FPS: first person shooter

And I meant the industry as a whole. I remember the Jane's games and the like all but disappeared after the year 2000.

War in the East looks like a more intersting version of TOAW. And my hero Gary Grigsby is the designer on that one. The difference between Steel Panthers and crack is that crack is relatively not addictive. :D

Matrix Games is tops. Flashpoint: Red Storm is one of the most unique games out there. One day I will get Korsun Pocket, which supposedly as one of the best AIs out there.

Too bad slitherine droppes the ball kn the Close Combat resurrection. Hopefully Big Red One is a good game.

Edited by Stargrunt6, 31 January 2020 - 1252 PM.

#31 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 1407 PM

Red Storm I bought a year ago and barely touched I played it in depth a few weeks ago, and whilst it's treading on similar ground to armoured brigade, it's brilliant.

There are some war games by the guys who did steel armor, blaze of war, and whilst I'm not mad about the presentation, the seem pretty competent. There is quite an interesting what if with Iran vs the Soviet union in Afghanistan.

#32 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,047 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 1732 PM

I'd love an operational wargame about USSR/Iran/NATO during the cold war. Reading Harold Coyle's "Sword Point" makes me want to make my own game.

#33 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 1936 PM

Re: PC sims, Ssnake, was there any surge in interest in these types of games during the early 2000s? It seems that fueled the COD modern warfare FPS craze.

I think it worked differently. PC Game publishers often commission clone games modelled after some successful title. The Jane's series was IMO a classic case of trying to marry a defense brand name with solid if somewhat conventional combat simulation games which met an already oversaturated market, and consequently the Jane's games production line was closed after two or three titles when that oversaturation became obvious.

COD on the other hand was a story-driven derivative of the first person shooter concept. Shooters always worked well since Doom perfectionized the first generation shooter genre (Wolfenstein 3D was first, and there were a number of other games with some shooter elements, so I see Doom more as the first game that worked the FPS formula to perfection prior to the 3D accelerator era, rather that defining Doom as the "invention of first person shooter games"). But of course, since well-made FPSs were popular, other publishers financed countless clones which were pushed into a growth market. The market for military simulations on the other hand is better characterized as stagnant. So the "FPS craze" was a good formula that allowed countless clones to flourish despite what must have appeared as oversaturation, simply because early FPSs were cheap enough to be churned out by a production mill with 3D accelerator technology as a driving innovation element (first person shooters looked better and better without changing much in the play style).

COD was therefore a culmination of the premium market segment strategy that tried to cram in as much production value (cut-scene enriched story, better and better character animation, ...) into an otherwise not very imaginative game concept. It was definitely NOT a spin-off or spill-over from the military simulation genre. That much is certain.

#34 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 0236 AM

I'd love an operational wargame about USSR/Iran/NATO during the cold war. Reading Harold Coyle's "Sword Point" makes me want to make my own game.

You can do it with TOAW. Although the map making is onerous.

#35 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,422 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 2146 PM

Aces over Europe! My gawd I spent so many hours playing that! So much fun.

#36 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 0422 AM

It was the place I learned you cant dogfight in a ME262.:D