12 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 0648 AM

Somewhere between Panzer General and The Operational Art of War, was my first thought.
It got really good reviews. When I first tried it, I was disappointed, thinking "this is too simplistic". That was before I started to learn about all the options and variables. Now I am hooked.
The game places big (the biggest?) emphasis on supply. If you dont learn how supply works, you will most probably fail.

Single player (allies only) and hotseat only. Gameplay is yougo-Igo. Scenarios are about 30-40 minutes long. Unit size brigade-division.
Only one campaign, starting in North Africa, working its way up. About 25-30 separate scenarios, not sure how many of them are in the campaign though.
There is a scenario-editor.

If you liked Panzer General and/or Toaw, I think you will like this one.

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 0653 AM

Yeah, its very good isnt it? I think I prefer volume 1 better, largely because the system seemed to fit that kind of fighting better. I found in the Italy campaign, you are doing all kinds of frontal assaults. Although it seems unfair to criticise it, the nature of the fighting was like that.

Hopefully they will do a DLC on the Western Desert Campaign, and the German side. The latter is the main omission here I think.

Its a good system, I cant think why I didnt mention it when I originally got it.

#3 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 0813 AM

I think it is optimal for casual gamers such as myself. Easy UI, scenarios manable in time and size, but still reasonably immersive.

#4 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 0635 AM

I prefer something like Hearts of Iron IV. Although I have to give credit to recent reviewers on steam that Paradox has been ruining Hearts of Iron with recent updates, so there is nothing really in that class anymore unless I prefer to go back to version III, which has not been bettered.

Yes, this is very good. I would recommend looking UOC 1 which I think its marginally better, largely because of the Eastern Front Setting. I idly wonder if they will DLC the Eastern Front into this, which would probably be ideal.

#5 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 1215 PM

This was much more complex than I earlier thought. And more fun.
Usually when I play a game on normal, I may have to restart campaign once or twice.
This I have restarted way many times, since you can get stuck further on (Volturno line for me), if you dont take certain objectives in previous scenarios.
But re-playing is quite fun, trying to perfect.

#6 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 1251 PM

I've replayed dday a half dozen times. I still haven't done as well as historically.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 29 February 2020 - 1437 PM.

#7 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 0502 AM

Also, Axis now availble. Haven't tried them yet though.

#8 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 0604 AM

Yeah I reinstalled it again last night and found that out. There are 3 scenarios, two of them based on the battle of the bulge. Pretty good imho.

#9 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 1244 PM

I was quite fond of Toaw, but now I think this is more entertaining. At first I missed stacking units, worrying about facing and not being able to bypass stronger units as in Toaw, but not anymore.
While Toaw's handling of supply was good in its simplification, I find this much more entertaining.
I have now restarted the campaign for the umptieth time, and it doesn't bother me.
I got stuck at Bocage, since I had not taken Caen at D-day, and restarting conferences gave too much penalty.
Now I have gotten it right, and am about to start Cobra.

Lesson learned - if the game says "You should probably take bonus objective A and B, to get a slightly better start at next scenario", it really means "take bonus objective A and B, or you are fucked".

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson, 05 March 2020 - 1245 PM.

#10 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 0236 AM

Thing ive noticed which I dont like, it forces to fight Italy AND Normandy. You make a little progress on one, you then have to do the other. If all you want to do is fight the Normandy campaign and forget italy, there is something of a problem here.

They would do well to split the campaigns into 2 different ones, there was seemingly little interaction between them until the very end of the war anyway.

I also wonder if they ought to bring in shock rules. If I have a division with 5 regiments and through my mismanagement its down to one, I would presume most formations would be combat ineffective. But here you can still move them about. I fyou have the enemy canalled, such as in Falaise, Im not sure they should be able to move at all on some turns.

Its still a great wargame for all those flaws. In fact, I have to wonder why ive invested so much of my time in HOIIV.

#11 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 1055 AM

I agree, it should be possible to split them up. I am just now beginning to get a grip on good handling of units, late into the campaign.
In some cases it is very unforgiving. If you dont take Caen at D-Day, forget breaking out next scenario.
And if you have not kept airborne units alive, and at elite status(!), forget taking Arnhem. Trust me.
Right now I am at the scenario trying to take Metz and a few other places. Almost all opposing forces are elite or veteran, and cutting off supply to Metz is a bitch.

But that's also what gives it good replayability, you can (almost) always improve, and as far as I can tell the AI is not very predicable.

#12 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 57,236 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 1309 PM

The Ai is pretty damn good now you mention it.

#13 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 0232 AM

I read a review which had a theory that the AI does not have any settings, it is always on "full". What changes when you change settings, is basically how many turns you have to achieve the goals.
Makes sense if true, "normal" in this game equals "hard" in similar games.