Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 0630 AM

Timothy Keller "The Reason for God."

#2 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,224 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 0731 AM

I actually got a copy of that book from basic, they were giving away a bunch of those sorts of books for free at church. Only read a little bit but it seemed interesting for the genre.

#3 Guest_Jason L_*

Guest_Jason L_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 0144 AM

I actually got a copy of that book from basic, they were giving away a bunch of those sorts of books for free at church. Only read a little bit but it seemed interesting for the genre.

Now that's damning with faint praise :D

The reviews I've read suggest that much of the arguments crux on parroting C.S. Lewis. Oy.

Edited by Jason L, 08 January 2013 - 0207 AM.

#4 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 0549 AM

It isn't going to be converting anyone with logic, it is largely preaching to the choir (literally)
It is argued as an argument for why there is a God and why he's the Christian, the evangelical American Christian God more specifically.
The logic is hardly rigorous, but slightly better than the usual stuff you read/hear from "Christian-Scientists" with some reasonable philosophical arguments.
But the logic of it all is nowhere near as good as it seems to think it is.
Not a bad book by any means, but probably not something I would recommend someone read - either you're already a believer in which case it is telling you to suck eggs - you're a fairly died in the wool athiest or militantly apathetic about religion in which case you won't care - you're a lapsed or wavering Christian in which it might have some influence, but unlikely as the arguments and logic aren't that strong.

If you do believe its irrelevant, if you want to believe it might nudge you depending on how much you want to believe, if you don't believe its unlikely to change anything.

#5 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 2207 PM

It is argued as an argument for why there is a God and why he's the Christian, the evangelical American Christian God more specifically.

Aslan? :blink:

#6 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 1411 PM

Aslan? :blink:

Keller makes a basically good case on why a "religion", started by one "man" prospered and multiplied to different locations and cultures across the world. And continues to do so.