2 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,132 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 0835 AM

Well Best Buy had a sale on these ($300 off) and I was looking for a gaming laptop for me.  Well I got it.  I have a couple of concerns which bothered me, and I almost took it back until I discovered that most of the items were "features" not bugs.  I noticed that no matter how long I had it plugged in, the battery would not show more than 90% (later 80%) and after lots of panic, and googling, I discovered that this "feature" is to save battery life.  Battery life is meh.

Changing the stupid blinky RGB was utterly non-intuituve, and took me almost almost two hours to get it figured out.  There were other little quirks on the software, and bloatware that took me a while to stomp on and remove.  Windows refused to update to 1903 build, and so I finally brute forced it, and as is usual for Winders it took two hours on Ethernet!!!!! to download.  Finally it installed, and I was able to update most of the other software.  

Here is the machine: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6343295

It has a lovely screen, and the battery life is ok, nothing to write home about.  It used the internal Intel video until a game is noticed.  Then the 1660 takes over.  It has a six core, and 16 gb of ram.  The 512gb SSD is ok, and later I will add a 1TB drive to it, just for more storage.  Right now its ok.  The keyboard is not bad, and the track pad is like glass.  However since MSI builds their laptops upside down, I have to take it to GeekSquad at Best Buy to avoid fubaring my laptop.  Nothing can be user installed.  It is very light so it works well in that regard.  

#2 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,132 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 0856 AM

Well, this is awkward.  I purchased a 2tb M.2 SSD (SATA) WD Blue, an it WILL NOT fit in the second M.2 slot.  Only NvME drives.  Now I have to run over to Best Buy and get an NvME drive.  

#3 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,132 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 1043 AM

My goodness this screen is amazing!!!!!  Battery life sucks, but you can't have everything.