#21 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,691 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 24 November 2018 - 0522 AM

I made a SWAG at my storage needs and I would need 2.204 tb to get all the movies  on the drives.  So a 4 bay NAS with 10 tb drives would be ideal.

Using RAID10 you would have 20TB available. Seems more than enough.

The last versions of the ****play models from Synology decode natively H.265 format, and support 4k streaming - that means able to transcode several simultaneous streams at lower resolutions. Could be an option for a future-proof setup.

This one, for instance: https://www.synology...ducts/DS418play

https://nascompares....-ds418play-nas/

DS918+ could be another option.

#22 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,119 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 1611 PM

Actually that is the one I am looking at, with either 10 or 12 tb western digital drives.  

I made a SWAG at my storage needs and I would need 2.204 tb to get all the movies  on the drives.  So a 4 bay NAS with 10 tb drives would be ideal.

Using RAID10 you would have 20TB available. Seems more than enough.

The last versions of the ****play models from Synology decode natively H.265 format, and support 4k streaming - that means able to transcode several simultaneous streams at lower resolutions. Could be an option for a future-proof setup.

This one, for instance: https://www.synology...ducts/DS418play

https://nascompares....-ds418play-nas/

DS918+ could be another option.

#23 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,691 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 1656 PM

According to this chart, for 10TB disks, Seagates ST10000NM0086 are the most reliable ones. Well, the only ones tested, also. But that kind of failure rate is already quite nice. Western Digitals have bit worse figures.

Q3-2018-Lifetime-Chart-2.png

https://www.backblaz...-failure-rates/

Edited by sunday, 24 November 2018 - 1700 PM.

#24 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 1333 PM

I noticed that some of the NAS units come with M.2 slots, what is the purpose of those?  Also does one need to increase the RAM from 2 gb to a higher number for normal use?

#25 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,691 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 1421 PM

I noticed that some of the NAS units come with M.2 slots, what is the purpose of those?  Also does one need to increase the RAM from 2 gb to a higher number for normal use?

Caching, mainly: https://nascompares....r/nas-with-m-2/

About extra RAM, I do not know. I guess it would depend of the number of simultaneous tasks you ask the NAS to do.

#26 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,528 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 25 November 2018 - 2005 PM

M.2 is a form factor.

The cache function is to act as a buffer for reads or writes by the appliance. In the case of drives, the SSD M.2 cards is to act as added storage space that's entirely flash based and super fast. In the enterprise world we're starting to get really nice hybrid or all SSD based systems that don't have any delay in reads or writes.

How the Synologies handle the data across the SSD and spinning disks is a question for the Synology techie folks.

#27 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 0639 AM

I can thoroughly recommend raid 10, having had a drive fail followed by som idiot pulling the drive next to it out of the rack when trying to hot swap the broken one.

No idea who that idiot was...

#28 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,422 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 10 December 2018 - 0903 AM

A few general remarks.

1. The fewer drives, the better. Mirroring two big drives is less likely to produce failures than many small ones, assuming otherwise equal failure rates (which is of course not a valid assumption, see table above)
  2. RAIDs with redundancy are no substitute for backups. If one drive goes, chances are that the mirror drive will fail soon, too. They have, after all, the same operating hours.
  3. For video streaming purposes, M2 SSDs are a costly and superfluous luxury. All you need is continuous delivery of data streams at LAN bandwidths; even slow drives can easily deliver that. SSDs are great to reduce latencies, especially when handling many and small files. Video streaming by definition is the handling of very few, rather big ones. It's about the simplest task possible for conventional HDDs
  4. Storage space; 200 DVDs x 4.5 GByte = 0.9 Terabyte   ---    200 BluRays x 25 GByte = 5 Terabyte. Your base load isn't very high. If you would take two 10 TByte drives in a RAID 10 you'd have between two and ten times as much storage space available than your specified purpose dictates. Anything beyond that is, IMO, crazy and expensively overdimensioned. Should you one day make the transition to 4K and replace your entire video collection it may be time to reconsider. But by then bigger drives will be cheaper, so why buy five times as much as you need when all that you will accomplish is having to deal with the replacement of failed drives that are only 20% full over the expected life expectancy of the NAS (your kids will grow up and eventually leave home, I take it, probably in the next five to ten years, so don't build your IT infrastructure to last all eternity).

Question time: How do you plan to rip the BluRay disks for your in-house streaming?

Edited by Ssnake, 10 December 2018 - 0905 AM.

#29 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,119 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 0655 AM

I have decided on the Synology DS918+ with Western Digital RED drives (either 8 or 10 tb).  I should have the money saved to get it around mid summer.  

#30 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,691 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 0803 AM

I have decided on the Synology DS918+ with Western Digital RED drives (either 8 or 10 tb).  I should have the money saved to get it around mid summer.  

If you are fitting it with an even number of drives, remember to buy them in different retailers. Different brands would be nice, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users