25 replies to this topic

#21 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 1325 PM

That makes sense. I had looked at rhe wiki before posting, but are boosters on shorty AKs the same thing?

Kind of. The big multipart muzzle devices on the shorty bulgarian AKs or the famous one from the AKS-74U are basically little gas chambers at the muzzle to dam up gas to create more pressure to cycle the action, because these short barrels do not leave enough time to build up enough pressure. The bullet uncorks the bottle too early if you will.

I think they're more / just a conical type of flash hider.

A case of it depends. Though most of the time AK muzzle devices are compensators and/or brakes and not flash hiders. The famous slant cut muzzle device does nothing to hide the flash and the AK-74 one is a flash enhancer if anything, but a very effective brake and compensator. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a military issue AK coming with a flash hider except the Galil and R4 and related rifles.

#22 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,509 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 1547 PM

That makes sense. I had looked at rhe wiki before posting, but are boosters on shorty AKs the same thing?

Kind of. The big multipart muzzle devices on the shorty bulgarian AKs or the famous one from the AKS-74U are basically little gas chambers at the muzzle to dam up gas to create more pressure to cycle the action, because these short barrels do not leave enough time to build up enough pressure. The bullet uncorks the bottle too early if you will.

Dwell time

I think they're more / just a conical type of flash hider.

A case of it depends. Though most of the time AK muzzle devices are compensators and/or brakes and not flash hiders. The famous slant cut muzzle device does nothing to hide the flash and the AK-74 one is a flash enhancer if anything, but a very effective brake and compensator. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a military issue AK coming with a flash hider except the Galil and R4 and related rifles.

#23 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,149 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 0709 AM

akk-1111_1188_detail.jpg AKML flash hider.

#24 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,509 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 0842 AM

What about 'muzzle cups'?  I can't find much mention, but I've seen photos (mostly on AKs) of a cup-like device on the muzzle that seems to enclose a brake/suppressor and apparently is intended to direct muzzle blast from a brake back forward, instead of to the sides.  It would seem to negate the brake's advantages, but am I missing something?

#25 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,149 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 2345 PM

Bulgy inspired blast diverters. Used to produce backpressure as well as redirecting blast. Used for shorties.

#26 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 0916 AM

akk-1111_1188_detail.jpg AKML flash hider.

Yes, there are flah hiders. e.g. egypt made iones have one, or I think the Iraq production does as well. But overall most design committees seem to opt for compensators and/or brakes for the AK.