6 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 1813 PM

Bought a batch of these for my PTR 91. Looks like they came in all sorts of packing (some are probably repacks). These are supposedly unissued, and they look that way except for some minor corrosion on a couple floorplates. Manufacturers are both HK and Rheinmetall, and dates are all the way from the early 1960's up through 1989.

Were the steel mags considered too expensive or otherwise unsatisfactory?

3EaDR6dl.jpg

#2 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,507 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 2227 PM

I always thought the steel replaced aluminum for durability.

#3 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,647 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 0312 AM

I always thought the steel replaced aluminum for durability.

The other way around for cost and weight AFAIK.

From what I have seen in service they were issued alongside each other and it was random what you got handed out from the armoury. I cannot remember seeing steel magazines with later than 1970ies manufacture dates in the hundreds upon hundreds of magazines I must have loaded as the ammo loader (For whatever reason I was chosen for this job most of the time.) on the firing range. But I obvioulsy would have been shouted at, if I had  checked each magazine scrupolously for date stamps.  ;)

#4 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,507 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 0810 AM

Thanks, Panzermann.  I have handled a couple of the aluminum mags, and wondered about their durability, given the issues Americans have had with Al mags, especially the abortive AR10 units.

#5 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 0841 AM

Unlike AR mags, I've rarely heard anything negative about G3 mags. Seems to be a solid design.

#6 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 0953 AM

AR10 waffles are fantastic. I have used original NWM mags from the 70s and they were in excellent shape. This was not long after AWB and there were practically no decent .308 AR mags other than unobtanium SR25 at astronomical prices. Any magazine degrades with use. The most important thing is the feed lips and spring.

#7 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,647 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 1246 PM

Thanks, Panzermann.  I have handled a couple of the aluminum mags, and wondered about their durability, given the issues Americans have had with Al mags, especially the abortive AR10 units.

The steel magazines are certainly on par with a certain Avtomat's magazine.

I guess the aluminium mgazines are not as durable when you land on your magazine accidentedly. Otherwise I haven't seen any issues over the years.