1683 replies to this topic

#1661 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 0347 AM

The YF23 may prove the basis for a new Japanese Stealth Fighter.

https://defensemaven...VEyTXYJpXUx0ug/

Not surprising. I always considered the -23 to be more of a bomber than a fighter. Back in the early '90s I wondered how much it would have cost to develop and build a modified version to replace the F-111.

There was some speculation on one of the Groom Lake Interceptors websites some 10-15 years ago the USAF might have been working on a stealthy replacement for the F111, and something like the YF23 might have proven ideal for it. Im not aware of any evidence however, if it ever existed it may just have been a paper project. I doubt they would be building B21 if they had something like that.

#1662 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 0442 AM

B 21 is still a heavy bomber though. The US still has no medium bomber or AFAICT plans for one.

#1663 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,042 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 0456 AM

RAAF F-35A

#1664 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,633 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 1115 AM

The YF23 may prove the basis for a new Japanese Stealth Fighter.

https://defensemaven...VEyTXYJpXUx0ug/

Not surprising. I always considered the -23 to be more of a bomber than a fighter. Back in the early '90s I wondered how much it would have cost to develop and build a modified version to replace the F-111.

There was some speculation on one of the Groom Lake Interceptors websites some 10-15 years ago the USAF might have been working on a stealthy replacement for the F111, and something like the YF23 might have proven ideal for it. Im not aware of any evidence however, if it ever existed it may just have been a paper project. I doubt they would be building B21 if they had something like that.

https://www.popularm...ns-fighter-jet/

https://www.flightgl...-09 - 1169.html

#1665 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,602 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 1142 AM

B 21 is still a heavy bomber though. The US still has no medium bomber or AFAICT plans for one.

The closest equivalent is F-15E. It seems doubtful the US developed an active fighter and then never revealed it.

#1666 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,717 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 0313 AM

Walk around of the YF-23.

#1667 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,717 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 0322 AM

Russia talks about assigning the SU57 to the antiship mission.

https://nationalinte...t-us-navy-80321

#1668 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 0933 AM

Italy has now joined the Tempest program. I would predict Japan and Japanese eventually doing the same after the U.S. election. The leverage gained in waiting may be useful in various ways.

#1669 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,042 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 0958 AM

With more member countries, more plane orders could help reduce cost per unit. Between just the UK, Italy, and Sweden, maybe about 200 aircraft? Adding Japan would make about 300 aircraft maybe?

#1670 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,717 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 0347 AM

Italy has now joined the Tempest program. I would predict Japan and Japanese eventually doing the same after the U.S. election. The leverage gained in waiting may be useful in various ways.

This is making the Franco-German project less and less likely. Good, they have too much of Europes Defence programs sewn up between then.

This was interesting, the Drive highlights something I never heard of before. The A12 actually had a fuel additive that it could use (Cesium, at least at first) that would have its jet nozzles create Plasma stealth. Though its not known if it was ever used operationally.

https://www.thedrive...sium-laced-fuel

#1671 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 1134 AM

Not a fan of this Rogoway by any stretch, but that was a well-researched read. A necessary component of the additive was apparently a toxic byproduct of the American laundry detergent industry.

#1672 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 0219 AM

Yeah, its a pity nobody knew. You can imagine the advertisement...

'New Persil. Washes whiter than white, and saves the world from international Communism!'

:D

They do some interesting work on there. I dont know if it was Rogoway or someone else, but they kicked over some documents that seemed to indicate SAC was interested in using the D21 drone as a nuclear strike platform. That was absolutely unheard of before.

#1673 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 0209 AM

According to index.hu the two Russian stealth airplane flew together a mission where the Okhotnik flew in full automatic mode providing extended RADAR surveillance area for use with long range weapons. This helped the Su-57 to complete the mission without entering the surveillance zone of the air defense.

#1674 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,717 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 0218 AM

Has there been any announcement on what kind of radar system they are going to mount on Okhotnik?

#1675 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 1506 PM

aPerf5f.jpg

aaO7c5D.jpg

#1676 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 1410 PM

Maybe the forced USAF development cycle is due to the fact that the stealth gap is closing, as the physical limits approached, other countries nearing the tech level (industrial espionage?) and the detection level is raised with advanced signal processing (called A.I.)

So maybe the US future will be hypersonic weapons on the costly end, and drone swarms on the cheap end.

Original Hungarian language article / the referenced English language article

#1677 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 1847 PM

If a fairly basic aircraft like the KC-46 tanker (based on a 30-year old airframe design) is still working through it's problems, the B-21 has the potential to be a real train wreck. 

#1678 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 0207 AM

If a fairly basic aircraft like the KC-46 tanker (based on a 30-year old airframe design) is still working through it's problems, the B-21 has the potential to be a real train wreck. 

It's gotten so bad I almost think they should start by seeing if they can design a uniform and get it done on time and on budget first before trusting them with something serious like a multi-billion dollar major defense project.  As we've seen in the past, there's no real repercussions for mismanaging taxpayer money.... drive her like a rental.

#1679 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 1229 PM

The Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) showed a 1:1 scale model of the new stealth plane KF-X at Seoul International Aerospace and Defense Exhibition, ADEX. It is estimated to fly first time in 2021-22. It is jointly financed by South Korea and Indonesia. It lacks a lot of US technologies in order to be widely marketable.

#1680 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 1838 PM

Enter the Koreans, who may one day deploy these off of their carriers. Given their exposure to the cutting edge of technology these past 2 decades, this entrance may only have been a matter of time.