• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 1701 PM

As part of my weekend projects working on my 2x gaming computers, I'm also working on resurrecting my 20 yr old G4/400 AGP. It will power on, but the old 27 gb IDE hd doesn't appear to work.

I picked up a couple of cheap IDE to SD card adaptors from Amazon along with a pair of 64 mb 95 mB/s sd cards. In the process right now of installing OS X 10.4 on one of the cards, found my old 10.5 and 10.3 cd's as well, 10.5 failed to install it may require Intel, I'm sure I have my Public Beta through 10.2 media around somewhere to try in addition.

It didn't recognize the drive as an install target at first, discovered I had to open disk utility and repartition as Apple Partition map before it is a valid install target.

Planning on eventually working on my Mac IIci from 1989 and my PowerMac 8500 circa 1995, along with my 4x Mac laptops. But first my 2.4 gHz Core 2 duo Vista machine and my Athlon 64 800 will get XP and 2000 respectively.

#2 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 1811 PM

That would be utterly cool, keep us posted please.

#3 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,263 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 2046 PM

As part of my weekend projects working on my 2x gaming computers, I'm also working on resurrecting my 20 yr old G4/400 AGP. It will power on, but the old 27 gb IDE hd doesn't appear to work.

Re the HDD, could be the platter bearing, could be the RW arm bearing. I have read that one solution is to give it a pop on the table, in-plane with the platters. Try at your own risk.

#4 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 2259 PM

Mixed results so far. 10.4 did seem to install successfully and reboot to the desktop. Tried running system update and the first set succeeded, but the combined OS update to 10.4.11 failed, rebooted then tried again, same result. Ran all the newly showing updates, minus the combined update, kernel panicked. Rebooted and it goes straight to a console screen rather than the desktop. Will try fresh 10.4 install and do updates 1 at a time to find the one causing panic, if that doesn't work I'll fall back to 10.3 and see how that works. I also have OS 8 through 9.2.1 media, so I could go back to classic Mac OS if necessary, I'll probably do it for grins eventually. Nice thing about the sd card adaptor is I can stock up on cheap sd cards then swap them to access different OS anytime. 

#5 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 2310 PM

May take the old IDE drive and put it in the freezer, IIRC that was a fix for sticky r/w heads back in the day. Doubt it will help, but no harm in trying.

#6 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 0629 AM

Silly question, would a regular SSD work with an adapter?  

#7 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 0943 AM

If there is a SATA to IDE adaptor available it might be doable, but the sd cards are cheaper, work and are probably faster than ATA 100 spinning rust drives were as built.

#8 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 0653 AM

If there is a SATA to IDE adaptor available it might be doable, but the sd cards are cheaper, work and are probably faster than ATA 100 spinning rust drives were as built.

Agreed, and now days almost as fast.  

#9 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 0928 AM

Still having problems with the updates. Installs 10.4 with no issues, but fails or kernel panics when running system updates, occasionally badly enough to prevent booting, fortunately reinstall is quick.

Going to try pulling PCI cards, then download interim updates rather than just jumping to 10.4.11 from the built in update finder. I spent all day at work working on upgrading RAM and SSD on Dell 3020s, so I'm not too enthusiastic about working on another computer when I get home.

Edited by GregShaw, 20 November 2019 - 0931 AM.

#10 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 0616 AM

What is the latest?

#11 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 0752 AM

Still installs and runs successfully with 10.4, but crashes during the update to 10.4.11. Going to try 10.3 today, haven't played with it for a few weeks over the holiday, got my old I7-2700k Win7 working with a new power supply finally and been messing around with HDTV that lost it's sound. Got my old Athlon and Core2 duo machines out of storage and at my work table now, will pop a spare 32 gB drive in an adaptor and in one of them to try Linux on one this week.

#12 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 18 minutes ago

Nice, I am living vicariously via your tech updates.  I love repurposing or rejuvenating old hardware.