144 replies to this topic

#141 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 0922 AM

My own guess is that the mistake in including and mislabeling the Puma is a case of "light armored tracked vehicle with a turret = light tank" media sloppiness.  One would expect better from Army Times, but on this occasion they seem to have produced the usual ignorant media mistake. :wacko:

Army Times is a private newspaper/website. Not a Pentagon publication, so you get the usual journalist expertise.

#142 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,536 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 07 January 2018 - 1553 PM

No it still sucks :)

Actually it's just bad, not stunningly terrible. Would have been better to go with a LP 90mm gun I suspect.

The problem is that the 90mm is no longer in US service which would have required a substantial amount of additional costs and would have forced the MGS model to jump through a number of additional procurement hoops.  The Army wanted to avoid that, preferring 'seriously flawed but available' to 'superlative but canceled'.

Right now the Army is looking at light tanks.  I don't think that's the best replacement for the MGS, but it may be procured for the role anyways to reduce procurement costs.  A 90mm is still out, as the US Army still needs to avoid the costs of adding a new shell caliber.

He's probably talking about the Cockerill 90mm Mk3 low pressure 90mm, not the US M36.  It's a HE/HEAT thrower, which is suitable for 7-10t vehicles.  

I'm thinking a 120mm mortar would be more useful, vice the 105mm high pressure gun.  Something like a Falarick 120mm GLATGM would also be highly useful.

The atrocity that is the US procurment system needs to be purged with fire.  It's a greater enemy to the US than any foreign nation state.  Not even joking.  This is what happens when you let managerialists with nothing at stake have decision making authority.  

It's like the helo mechanic being on the first flight after a repair, if you're not the guy using the gear, you don't have a say in the selection of the gear.  S/F....Ken M

#143 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 0003 AM

The 30mm variant doing some shooting.

#144 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 1329 PM

that's an unboxing video :lol:

(starting at !:41)

#145 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,203 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 17 January 2018 - 0827 AM

that's an unboxing video :lol:

(starting at !:41)

LOL!!! :) :) :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users